SASS Wire Forum

SKB "open lock"

wyliefoxEsquire

We have a SKB that Goatneck slicked up.  One of the features was a "lock" that he installed to keep the action open.

I was hoping that someone has more details on exactly is done to keep the action open.

Thank you

He cut a small notch into the bottom of the rear locking lug on the barrel.

The lock bar that you actuate with the release lever catches into that notch when the barrel is open... 

11 minutes ago, Silver Sam, SASS #34718L said:

He cut a small notch into the bottom of the rear locking lug on the barrel.

The lock bar that you actuate with the release lever catches into that notch when the barrel is open... 

^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^......Its refered to as a "Bump Step"....very common mod, does not effect closing

44 minutes ago, wyliefoxEsquire said:

Goatneck said he installed a bolt

Never seen a "Bolt" installed into an SKB action before and I have no idea why Fred or anyone would put one in it ?????

The "Bump Step" as some call it was done by Fred just like Johnny Meadows and everyone else does it.... maybe with some very minor variations.

My GUESS.... is that Fred was speaking about the lock bar and referred to it as a "Bolt" ????? 

28 minutes ago, COLORADO JACKSON said:

^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^......Its refered to as a "Bump Step"....very common mod, does not effect closing

Actually it Can affect the closing if done improperly....

I've seen it done poorly and with too strong a lever spring ... The barrel had to be forced to close.

Mine that  was done by Goatneck has the bump step notch. Fred was a treat to shoot shotgun with, we all miss him :blush:

I've had a few SKB's that Goatneck built.  All of them had the bump step notch and all worked well.  To this day, I have never had failure to reset his inertia trigger setup in my SKB100 and I shoot some pretty light 12ga loads!

He was a great cowboy!

Totes

Never seen a "Bolt" installed into an SKB action

The BOLT that he talked about was the sliding action locking bolt in the bottom of the action.   That is the common name for a sliding locking bar.  There is a locking bolt in EVERY hinge action gun that lock up on lugs under the barrel, and even on other locking mechanism designs.

What he "installed" was a notch for the bolt to catch on to hold the action open so the cocking levers don't force the action to close and prevent loading the chambers without a hand holding the action open. 

Good luck, GJ

Archived