SASS Wire Forum

Balloon Head Brass

Sixgun Seamus

Had a fellow (assuming non SASS shooter) email me this morning. Said he and his reloading buddy recently acquired 200 primed 44 special balloon head cases. I first asked him how he knew they were balloon head. I told him they were not suited for high pressure loads. I also suggested he could buy some cowboy guns to use them in and come shoot with us. 

Question ....should these even be used and if anyone here is interested in them? I could get his contact information and pass it along. 

No, these should not be used in any firearm. I wouldn't want to be on the same posse with a person using them either. I must seem to have an aversion to shrapnel wounds. 

I had a few boxes of .45 balloon head cases a few years ago that someone on here wanted more than me. I've still got a few hundred .38's. The biggest problem is the primer pockets stretch, and after a couple reloadings, they won't hold the primer anymore.

Over the years, I have come across a good number of balloon head cases in .38 S&W.   Some of them still with their original factory loading, some with black powder, and some with smokeless.   I segregate out the balloon head cases and have a different load for them.   I only load light loads in this caliber anyway, and I have never had any trouble with them.

For the larger .44 Special, I am pretty sure that that was never factory loaded with black powder, so they should be okay for smokeless, but I would limit the brass to low power loadings. 

Another reason for NOT using balloon-head brass is the likelihood it has age-hardened significantly, making it brittle.  Now I do recall that CIL Dominion sold brand new .43 Mauser brass back in the '60's that was semi-balloon-head.  With light smokeless loads and lead bullets, never had a problem.  The primer pocket only projected partially into the case head.  I also cut them down and sized them for an 11.15 x 47R cartridge for a rifle-shotgun combination gun.  They were NOT completely balloon-head like the sectioned .44-40 brass round shown above.

Stay well and safe, Pards!

Bought some .450 Webley brass once. Had issues getting them to size then I looked inside and saw what they were, loaded them once but I’m not going to mess with them any more. Cut some .455 down and am using them instead. 

I thought that the all brass shotshell cases made by MagTech were basically balloon head cases, or am I under the wrong impression?

I've got a few of those in 12ga that I've loaded up with about 60-70 grains of Pyrodex, appropriate over powder and cushion wads from Circle-Fly, 1oz of shot and an over shot card glued in place and have shot them.  Did this once for fun at a match, but haven't gotten around to doing this again since it's kind of a tedious process and it's much easier to crank out light shotshells on a MEC with more modern components.  Anyway, was that a bad idea?  Should have only used real black powder vs. Pyrodex with the MagTech brass shotshells?

Archived