SASS Wire Forum

Different front sight for pietta 1858

Bullett Sass 19707

8 hours ago, PaleWolf Brunelle, #2495L said:

I have a few with half-coins soldered to (non-adjustable) dovetails.

image.png

image.png

PWB you’re under arrest for defacing government property by cutting nickels in half :ph34r: ;) :lol: 

1 hour ago, Tequila Shooter said:

PWB you’re under arrest for defacing government property by cutting nickels in half :ph34r: ;) :lol: 

Those two were done by Kirst...set up for use with conversion cylinders. ;)

The top revolver is an early (1999) Navy Arms "Deluxe" model made by Pietta.

Texas Jack Omohundro (Frank Leaman) took it home from a local match to mount the half silver dime on it for me, then mailed it back.

It's the only percussion revolver that I had to do a 4473 on when I originally ordered it through a sporting goods store. <_<

2 hours ago, PaleWolf Brunelle, #2495L said:

Those two were done by Kirst...set up for use with conversion cylinders. ;)

The top revolver is an early (1999) Navy Arms "Deluxe" model made by Pietta.

Texas Jack Omohundro (Frank Leaman) took it home from a local match to mount the half silver dime on it for me, then mailed it back.

It's the only percussion revolver that I had to do a 4473 on when I originally ordered it through a sporting goods store. <_<

Ok you got me what’s a 4473?

Washington State made me do one for an 1860 C&B I bought in a pawn shop. :(

Seems state law requires it for C&B pistols that have a steel frame. If it has a brass frame you can just walk out of the store with it. :wacko:

Because I was not a state resident I had to ship it to my FFL in Texas. He was quite amused

13 hours ago, PaleWolf Brunelle, #2495L said:

image.png

are the cylinder pin retention tabs spring loaded or do you have to remove the screw to load?

29 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Washington State made me do one for an 1860 C&B I bought in a pawn shop. :(

Seems state law requires it for C&B pistols that have a steel frame. If it has a brass frame you can just walk out of the store with it. :wacko:

Because I was not a state resident I had to ship it to my FFL in Texas. He was quite amused

I ran into an issue in Oklahoma beginning of last year trying to buy a C&B from an FFL, had something to do with the way it was acquired and entered into the books, since I was out of state, they said they could only ship to an FFL in my state, I said no thank you.

25 minutes ago, El CupAJoe said:

are the cylinder pin retention tabs spring loaded or do you have to remove the screw to load?

They are spring-loaded.

Thank you Pale Wolf those look real good,  that may be the way I go with mine.  Not many people knew Frank did action work.  I had him do some engraving on my pistols and when he felt the trigger and hammer he told me to leave them with him and I did.   Still have that pair of Blackhawks and that action job was one of the best.  I met him in Fernly NV at the first western state shoots.  He showed me how to fire a single action upside down.   Bullett 19707

Just an FYI (re "Revolvers - Fixed Sight Models"

Allowed Exceptions: Original open-top cartridge revolvers, cap and ball revolvers, cartridge conversion revolvers, and their modern made replicas may have either a dovetail front or rear sight, and they must conform to the types commonly found on the originals.

SHB p.35

Back when I shot Pietta 1858s, I shortened the barrels, (this was before they produced the "Sheriff's Model"), and added "Turtle" front sights.  These sights were available on early trade guns that pre-date the 1858.    They are available in dovetail or solder-on types.

download.jpg

proxy-image.jpg

Howdy

A long time ago, 1975 to be exact, when I bought my old EuroArms Remmie, they all came into the country with very short front sights. I am told the short front sights were typical of the original 1858 Remingtons. I have been told they were sighted in for 75 yards, and that short sight was good for that distance. 

Anyway, with its very short front sight my old Remmie shot high at targets closer in, and I had to remember to hold low or the shot would go right over the target. When I was considering buying a 45 Colt conversion cylinder for my old Remmie I bought an Uberti front sight for it. The Uberti front sight was much taller. The original sight was dovetailed to the barrel, but the Uberti front sight would not fit the original dovetail. So I took it to a gunsmith and he cut a new dovetail for the taller front sight. After this had been done I test fired it a little bit with the taller front sight and that brought the point of impact down where I wanted it. So I went ahead and bought the conversion cylinder.

pmjkHCsvj

Not a Pietta, but when I bought the conversion cylinder Taylors fitted one meant for a Pietta, because the dimensions were similar enough.

Here are a couple of close up views of the taller front sight.

poLsOQQWj

Not an absolutely perfect fit, but good enough for me.

pld3eVU9j

VTI was not in existence at the time, I honestly don't remember where I bought the taller front sight, perhaps from Uberti USA, or whatever the name was, which was the precursor to VTI. Anyway, part #15 is probably the part I bought.

https://www.vtigunparts.com/store/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=13&cat=Uberti+1858+New+Army

Archived