SASS Wire Forum

45-90 loads

Sandhills Dude

You cannot use 45-70 smokeless load data for the 45-90. The case volume is larger and therefore requires different load data.

The 45-90 is really a BP cartridge and very few people shoot smokeless powder which is why there is almost no smokeless load data.  

You can always shoot 45-70 cartridges in it. 

If you look, you can find data online for it. You can try the Trail Boss formula (Hodgdon website)for light loads, if you want smokeless and jacketed.

Makes a nice light load; tried them on a new barrel for break-in. Now dirty, filthy Black all the way!

Not sure about Varget, but I think I've seen 4895 data. Again, wasn't looking for smokeless loads.

Treat yourself to some 500-550 gr lead and top off the BP and make some smoke! Enjoy

I'm sure Lumpy will be chimin' in... he knows.

If ya wanna go the BP way, BPCR (black powder cartridge rifle) rifle guys know it as the .45 x 2.4 cartridge.

If you look up the designation or BPCR, you can find a bunch as well. Got mine last year and have been rabid on finding data on all things .45-90.

Some really good links out there and some great vendors, most of them BPCR shooters themselves. (Buffalo Arms , SPG and Lee Shaver) to name a couple.

Archived