SASS Wire Forum

Pepper Spray?

Might anyone have any recommendations on effective pepper spray products for protection against large, aggressive, loose-running dogs?   

No, I don't want to shoot 'em.  

I'll carry Sabre Pepper Gel while walking the dog.  I have no first hand experience, but the gel should be less susceptible to the wind.

Check your state laws,  some states have restrictions on the carrying and use of pepper spray.

You may also want to contact your local animal control officer

California law on tear gas weapons (pepper spray)...just so assumptions can be kept in check.
https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/codes_displaySection.xhtml?lawCode=PEN&sectionNum=22810.

Also, California can’t just outright say “pepper spray” because that would be too easy. Bureaucrat scum. So I added these sites by law firms. 
https://www.hg.org/legal-articles/use-of-tear-gas-and-pepper-spray-in-california-56303

https://www.ivanmorselaw.com/blog/2018/january/is-pepper-spray-illegal-in-california-/

Very good synopsis of CA laws with a jazzy video.

https://www.pepper-spray-store.com/pages/california-laws

In California it is legal to carry aerosol pepper spray in containers no larger than 2.5 ounces. You can use a projectile firing pepper spray device despite what a couple of websites, that I did not link here, say. 

2 hours ago, Chantry said:

I'll carry Sabre Pepper Gel while walking the dog.  I have no first hand experience, but the gel should be less susceptible to the wind.

Check your state laws,  some states have restrictions on the carrying and use of pepper spray.

I second the Sabre Pepper Gel.

Think of it as Silly String with bad intentions.:D

The biggest advantage of animal (bear) spray is that it is delivered in a wide cone so accuracy is not a great requirement. Human pepper spray is often a confined stream so accuracy can be very important. The amount of active ingredient is not really an issue as dogs and bears sense of smell and taste are significantly more sensitive than humans.

The down side is the wider dispersal area means that you could also end up getting a dose.

Differences Between Animal (Dog or Bear) Spray and Human Pepper Spray

What’s the difference between bear spray and pepper spray?

1 hour ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Better off with a can of Bear spray.

OLG 

17 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

The biggest advantage of animal (bear) spray is that it is delivered in a wide cone so accuracy is not a great requirement. Human pepper spray is often a confined stream so accuracy can be very important. The amount of active ingredient is not really an issue as dogs and bears sense of smell and taste are significantly more sensitive than humans.

The down side is the wider dispersal area means that you could also end up getting a dose.

Differences Between Animal (Dog or Bear) Spray and Human Pepper Spray

What’s the difference between bear spray and pepper spray?

One can carry bear spray but carrying it in areas where bears do not frequent may raise the eyebrows of law enforcement. 

Turner’s Outdoorsman carries it:

https://www.turners.com/all-products/browse/keyword/bear-spray

Sportsman’s Warehouse in Fresno carries it. 
https://www.sportsmans.com/search/?text=bear+spray

https://findanyanswer.com/is-it-legal-to-carry-bear-spray-in-california

4 hours ago, Chantry said:

You can bet your sweet bippy that California does.  Have you considered a really loud air horn and a sock full of pennies??

32 minutes ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

You can bet your sweet bippy that California does.  Have you considered a really loud air horn and a sock full of pennies??

I'm not in California, I'm in Connecticut and I would have called the local animal control officer already

Okay, as a Parole Agent I did use my department issued pepper spray on dogs many times over the years. Spray straight into the dog's muzzle and eyes. It worked most of the time, but there were two dogs it did not affect. Just like with people, some are more tolerant than others. I know one mailman who carried a small spray bottle filled with ammonia that he used on several dogs over the years and swore by it.

7 hours ago, Alpo said:

Don't they issue some kind of anti-dog spray to the mailman? Maybe you should check with the post office. See what they use.

Postal workers are not allowed to carry or use pepper spray. If somebody has an aggressive dog they simply don't have to deliver the mail to that address and will place it on delivery hold. A bit late when it's already attached to your leg, of course...

28 minutes ago, Sixgun Sheridan said:

Postal workers are not allowed to carry or use pepper spray. If somebody has an aggressive dog they simply don't have to deliver the mail to that address and will place it on delivery hold. A bit late when it's already attached to your leg, of course...

USPS carriers here in MO, and when I lived in CA carried spray.

OLG 

3 hours ago, irish ike, SASS #43615 said:

Nice Pat. I always like how people ask legal questions on here without doing any real research. 'Does anyone know the laws for gun ownership in Albania?'

"Gun ownership in Albania?"  :huh:

Well... if you check 'em out, be sure to report back.  While you're at it, can you see what sorta pepper spray them Albanians use?  :rolleyes:

6 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

One can carry bear spray but carrying it in areas where bears do not frequent may raise the eyebrows of law enforcement. 

Turner’s Outdoorsman carries it:

https://www.turners.com/all-products/browse/keyword/bear-spray

Sportsman’s Warehouse in Fresno carries it. 
https://www.sportsmans.com/search/?text=bear+spray

https://findanyanswer.com/is-it-legal-to-carry-bear-spray-in-california

Thankee for the research, Pat!  :)

Dangit... I was within a quarter mile of Sportsman's Warehouse in Fresno just yesterday - but it's a sixty mile round trip from home.  :(

But I'll be back in Fresno next Toosday!  ^_^

1 hour ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

OLG 

My ex works for USPS here in WA, and they are not allowed to possess it on PO premises nor have it in their carrier vehicles. In fact they can't even leave it in their parked car if it's on PO property.

1 hour ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

"Gun ownership in Albania?"  :huh:

Well... if you check 'em out, be sure to report back.  While you're at it, can you see what sorta pepper spray them Albanians use?  :rolleyes:

They are a shall issue country for handgun and long gun permits including semi-auto firearms. Albania does allow limited concealed carry if you have a good enough reason.

2 hours ago, Sixgun Sheridan said:

My ex works for USPS here in WA, and they are not allowed to possess it on PO premises nor have it in their carrier vehicles. In fact they can't even leave it in their parked car if it's on PO property.

Got to be a Washington thang.....:blink:

OLG 

14 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

OLG 

When I lived in Ca I knew a postal carrier that was issued a gun . It was only for 1 day a month if I remember right he said he was delivering negotiable bonds . This was in the 80’s so I don’t doubt policies may have changed 

My wife was a letter carried 15 years ago.  That is about the time they stopped the use of pepper spray.  Until then they had a standard issue spray.  It was a sudden and full about face policy change from giving carriers a can to don't use anything.  I kept her last can.

Also, federal and state laws make it illegal to use any pesticide (e.g. wasp spray) in a manner inconsistent with the labeling.  You won't find dogs listed on the wasp spray label.

Dogs respond well to pepper spray, any type of OC.  Tear gas is not useful on dogs, they don't even know they've been sprayed.

2021-03-11 13.16.48.jpg

On 3/10/2021 at 6:26 AM, Alpo said:

Don't they issue some kind of anti-dog spray to the mailman? Maybe you should check with the post office. See what they use.

Worked at the Post Office 31 years. main problem with our pepper spray was having it blow back in your face when you sprayed the dog. I never had that happen, but we got plenty of calls from Carriers needing to stop delivery cause they sprayed themselves.

On 3/10/2021 at 6:01 AM, Chantry said:

Tried to order that from AMAZON HERE IN wISCONSIN  and they won't deliver it.

Do White House Secret  Service agents carry dog spray?  Maybe they should have as Biden's dog attacked an agent.  Both dogs have been banished to Delaware, at least until they have been acclimated to people around the WH.  :P:rolleyes: 

44 minutes ago, Filthy Harry, SASS #24924 said:

Tried to order that from AMAZON HERE IN wISCONSIN  and they won't deliver it.

Odd, because Amazon is where I got mine from.

It might be state law: Canisters must be less than two ounces, Oleoresin Capsicum (OC) concentration should be 10% or less, Cannot be disguised as a common item or can’t be camouflaged.  https://concealcarrylaw.co/legal-self-defense-weapons-in-wisconsin/

Archived