SASS Wire Forum

I can see, well, sorta

Doc Shapiro

My vision has been progressively getting worse as I get older. It started with reading glasses.  Then bifocals.  Then it got worse.  I'm sure many of you are familiar with this phenomenon.

By worse, I mean that out of my left eye, it was like looking through a really grubby window.  Yep, a cataract.  Doc said it was likely caused by one of the knocks I had on my head.  Had one on the left side that caused some damage to my brain, though I'm sure many of you already thought I was brain damaged. 

Yesterday another Doc fixed my left eye.  Apparently really bright and focused lights (lasers) were involved. 

Anyway, the difference is astonishing.  I can now see that my previously clear eye isn't so clear.  Going to need the same done on that one in the not too distant future.

That's the latest update to my story.

I had mine done a couple years ago. It's amazing!! I walked outside one evening after and looked up...I had forgotten about the stars.

It was the weirdest procedure that I ever had. Being wide awake and staring at a bright light while the doctor removes your lens was surreal. It was even more interesting the next day when I had to much pressure in the eye. He fixed it by sticking a needle in my eye twelve times. It didn’t hurt but I felt every needle go in.

Ten minutes and you’re done then it’s here’s your hat what’s your hurry. Next 

I have developing cataracts, but nothing close (yet) to needing replacement.
One of my friends had this done and corrected his vision... he marveled at being about to see his feet in the shower again.

1 hour ago, bgavin said:

I have developing cataracts, but nothing close (yet) to needing replacement.
One of my friends had this done and corrected his vision... he marveled at being about to see his feet in the shower again.

How in the world does it affect your waistline?

My friend was skinny enough... just too blind to see his feet.
They corrected his severe myopia when they replaced the lenses.
Me.. I just took off 16 pounds, and can now see my feet in the shower... < grin >

10 hours ago, Wallaby Jack, SASS #44062 said:

"I can see clearly now the rain is gone ....... "

........................sing it Children ...............   :)

I can see all obstacles in my way.

Schoolmarm had it done around Christmas.  She's deliriously happy!!!

At 70, It ain't my feet that I'm wanting to see!  :lol:

P.S. - Hey DOC, good to hear the procedure went well for you and wishing the best for your next surgery.

..........Widder

I had lens transplants done in 2002.  Amazing.

My daughter had one eye done last Thursday and is going for the other eye tomorrow.  The technology has advance amazingly since mine were done.  Hers are "trifocals" and mine are single vision.

I hope you enjoy yours as much as do mine.  I still need "reading" glasses for anything inside of two feet, but there are days when I never put my cheaters on at all.

11 hours ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

Did any of you fellas opt for Toric lenses...?   

I just had my left eye done. And now perfect long distance vision. Right eye Thursday. I still need to wear glasses for reading. But I need safety glasses for working int he shop and shooting so no big deal.

I had mild to moderate cataracts. I'm 70. What convinced me to do it now was, what the Doc said. 'your eyes and vision will only get worse. why wait/ You'll never need to do it again'!

Looking out my left eye, bright light and vivd colors. Looking out my right eye, fuzzy and the colors look like they're being lit by an incandescent bulb...yellowish.

I hope it goes well. I needed bifocals before so things were tough in the interim and I'd planned a trip to Boulder City for a match in between surgeries. I wouldn't do that again.

I won't tell you the rest of the story as I was part of the 1% where the second surgery didn't go as well as the first.

I had surgery in both eyes five years ago and one of the things that impressed me the most was realizing that the pavement lines on four lane roads were actually really white, not kinda creamy looking like.  

Also, I stoped using (and paying for) trifocals!

4 hours ago, Mister Badly said:

Had mine done a few years back with bifocal lenses. I can see smaller print like nobody's business.

........... I always thought the smaller print was nobody's business and that's why it is so fine .......   ;)

16 hours ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

Did any of you fellas opt for Toric lenses...?   :huh:

I had cataracts in both eyes and had both lens replaced. I had a stigmatism in one eye and they put a Toric lens in it. It’s clear and the stigmatism isn’t as bad but still have a little. 

Kajun

Both mine are done. Difference was staggering. Insurance would only pay for single basic lenses, so, I'm still in frames,but only to correct stigmatism and read. I could actually drive without them, but don't ask me to read the gauges.:rolleyes::lol::blush:

Archived