SASS Wire Forum

Black powder substitute

Snake-eye, SASS#45097

I was recently given one pound containers of BP substitute. One is Cleanshot and the other APP 50 grain pellets. Any thoughts on using either in a muzzleloader.

Goex sued Cleanshot and they changed the sugar based sub to Clearshot.  Then the plant burned down about 2005.  Both were poor subs, so might want to use it in the garden 

APP on their website has loading data for muzzleloaders for the powder and pellets

I tried APP pellets in my revolvers with poor results. They may work better in a muzzleloader but I never tried them in mine. I only found 30 grain pellets but no 50 grain. They seemed to absorb moisture quickly. Good Luck!

50 minutes ago, John Boy said:

Goex sued Cleanshot and they changed the sugar based sub to Clearshot.  Then the plant burned down about 2005.  Both were poor subs, so might want to use it in the garden 

APP on their website has loading data for muzzleloaders for the powder and pellets

Goex made Clearshot.  The first thousand pounds that was mixed by hand was great stuff!  It did not need soft lube.  Then a looong delay before they got it made by machine.  That was not the same.  Low powered and needed soft lube.  It did smoke like crazy!  I still have a partial can.  To the OP, Cleanshot is pretty much the same as APP but is likely to be more dusty.  It is likely to be clumped in the can - just break them up.

Personally I quit using pellets a long time ago...they always left a noticeable crud ring right where the bullet seated.  This was with both Pyrodex and 777 pellets.  I've since switched to loose 777 in all my hunting muzzleloaders, though I use Black MZ.

Since you already have these substitutes, try them out...you may like them.  Every gun is different.

I don't use a whole lot of APP, just now finishing off a bottle I opened in 2013.  But I do happen to have a bottle of the APP pellets that I bought by accident a good while ago.  Saw it on sale at Cabelas for ten bucks, it was behind the counter and I didn't look at the label closely enough.  I've often thought of just crushing them and shooting the powder.  Makes it more expensive than regular APP that way, but beats sitting on a shelf.  :)

When I'm not shooting real black APP is my substitute of choice, it is a little less powerful than real black. I think about 15 percent. If your just target shooting in your front stuffer then go for it, no extra lube needed so don't use a grease patch. Never tried clear shot so I can't comment on it.

Rafe

For what it’s worth 

Local knowledgeable hunters told me that pellets of any brand should be loaded in rifles that use #209 primers for ignition because they don’t ignite reliably with percussion caps.  Since I use a traditional sidelock Hawken I’ve never tried pellets.  For me, real black powder ignites more quickly and reliably in percussion revolvers than any substitute.

You did not clarify whether your “muzzleloader” is a long gun or a handgun, flintlock, cap gun, or modern 209 firearm.

4 hours ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

For what it’s worth 

Local knowledgeable hunters told me that pellets of any brand should be loaded in rifles that use #209 primers for ignition because they don’t ignite reliably with percussion caps.  Since I use a traditional sidelock Hawken I’ve never tried pellets.  For me, real black powder ignites more quickly and reliably in percussion revolvers than any substitute.

You did not clarify whether your “muzzleloader” is a long gun or a handgun, flintlock, cap gun, or modern 209 firearm.

The bolded text is my experience.  With subs there is often a perceptible delay between a cap firing and the powder igniting.  I don't hear a delay with real black powder.

20 minutes ago, Edward R S Canby, SASS#59971 said:

The bolded text is my experience.  With subs there is often a perceptible delay between a cap firing and the powder igniting.  I don't heard a delay with real black powder.

I knew a pard that tried to shoot the pellets in a C&B at a match once. There was a noticeable delay in cap ignition and shot going off. Almost like a 1/2 second hang fire. He went 3 stages then started back on regular powder.

PLEASE MAKE SURE THAT YOUR CLEAN SHOT is BLACK POWDER and NOT THE NEW SMOKELESS POWDER BY SHOOTERSWORLD.  YOU COULD HAVE CATASTROPHIC RESULTS!  I do know of several bottles of the Black Powder Clean (Clear) Shot are still around.  Not saying you can’t read the label... just asking you to double check and also letting some others know that there’s  a smokeless powder called Clean Shot. 

Hugs!!

Scarlett

21 minutes ago, Scarlett said:

...l... just asking you to double check and also letting some others know that there’s  a smokeless powder called Clean Shot....

Even though the APP predecessor named "Clean Shot" BP substitute has been out of production for what, 15 years?  I still thought it was a bad idea when that new smokeless powder was given the name Clean Shot.

1 hour ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

Even though the APP predecessor named "Clean Shot" BP substitute has been out of production for what, 15 years?  I still thought it was a bad idea when that new smokeless powder was given the name Clean Shot.

Shooters World missed it and APP didn’t catch it... but yes, I agree.  Once it became an issue it was too late. 

Hugs!

Scarlett

1 hour ago, Scarlett said:

Shooters World missed it and APP didn’t catch it... but yes, I agree.  Once it became an issue it was too late. 

Hugs!

Scarlett

Grafs just announce they got some of your powder in.

https://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/product/productId/83678

8 hours ago, Goody, SASS #26190 said:

I knew a pard that tried to shoot the pellets in a C&B at a match once. There was a noticeable delay in cap ignition and shot going off. Almost like a 1/2 second hang fire. He went 3 stages then started back on regular powder.

It took you 3 stages to give up on the pellets did it. :ph34r:  :P

44 minutes ago, Cowtown Scout, SASS #53540 L said:

It took you 3 stages to give up on the pellets did it. :ph34r:  :P

Actually it was Nueces Outlaw. He picked up a pair of 2nd gen Colt 60 Armies with fluted cylinders. He had never fired a cap and ball IIRC and I was helping him through it. This was way back in the day when Lone Star (Ormsby) range still curved north all the way to the fence line.

Archived