SASS Wire Forum

Beef Wellington in Only 72 Hours!

Subdeacon Joe

Lemme see if I followed that correctly.

He made a baby Wellington. Then he put the baby Wellington in the oven. Then he ate it!?!?!

Shades of Hansel and Gretel.

My late Wife used to make Beef Welllington at Christmas and it was a wonderful thing. I would assist her with parts of it during the two day preparation. I have her recipe but have not yet undertaken the challenge...maybe this Christmas to mark the five year point since it was last made. 

I have never had it. I have ordered it, but the Beef Wellington had run out. Twice this happened to me at nice hotel restaurants. 

I think I will live on just fine without having had it. 

2 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I have never had it. I have ordered it, but the Beef Wellington had run out. Twice this happened to me at nice hotel restaurants. 

I think I will live on just fine without having had it. 

It's very good when done well.  Butter tender beef wrapped in all sorts of flavors.  Very festive, very "special occasion" kind of thing.
BUT ... it doesn't have to take 3 days to make it.  A few hours does just as well.  
Plus, I'll be danged if I'm going to pay that much money per pound for a piece of beef that takes all that extra to make it taste good.  Yeah, it's usually quite tender, and has sauces or wrappings to give it flavor.  But a good piece of chuck, lavishly seasoned with salt and pepper, then cooked over an open fire is much more flavorful.

This is from my wife. Where she got it I do not know. I’ve made it with rib eye and filet. Both are good tasting. The rib eye will have more fat and other things you may not want to eat (gristle), but it still tastes good.

Be sure to follow the warning about the gloves. Don’t ask me how I know it is important! 

Baked Steak

3/4-1 lb. steak serves: 2 people

Use a 1” - 1 1/2” thick filet steak

Montreal Steak Seasoning

1 steak to be halved after cooking is better than two smaller steaks.

1. Coat both sides of steak with seasoning.
  2. Preheat oven to 425.
  3. Heat iron skillet to medium high (with a metal handle that can go into oven)
  4. Pour oil into hot skillet.
  5. Add steak to skillet.
  6. Cook 5 minutes on one side only.
  7. Place skillet in oven.
  8. Remove from oven and plate Steak
  9. Add 2 tbsp butter on top and rest for 5 minutes.

Remember to use gloves as skillet handle will be hot!!!

Cook in oven approximately:

5 minutes -               Rare = 125 F

6 minutes - Medium Rare = 135 F

7 minutes -         Medium = 145 F

9 minutes - Medium Well = 150 F

10 minutes -             Well = 160 F

CJ

Archived