SASS Wire Forum

Red dot sight

Trigger Mike

I never owned a red dot sight.  I worry about dead batteries and not being able to use the iron sights in an emergency.   

Today I saw a Sig 365 XL with factory red dot.  It gave me a hankering for a red dot .  Before I decide , does anyone have experience with the 365 ?  Is there a better option out there?

The Sig Romeo Zero has a battery that lasts 20,000 hours.  Change it once a year and you're covered.  I have a Romeo 1 Pro that has the same battery life.  

The Sig P365 is a great gun, and it and the Springfield Hellcat are neck and neck as far as best selling of the micro compact 9s.

I've got a couple of 365XLs and have the Romeo Zero on one of them.  You can co-witness the iron sights when you look through the Romeo Zero so you are covered if the battery suddenly stops working.

Kajun

A lot of people like the Sig 365 XL's. And red dots now that they have the micro dots are more and more popular. I went with a Glock 43x and a Holosun 507k x2. I know the Holosun is supposed to get 50,000 hours out of a battery, so changing once a year on just about any of them seems to work. I went with Ameriglo taller sights with blacked out rear and green tritium front so I have a lower co-witness through the red dot if it ever failed. 

Won't feel comfortable carrying it until I get a lot more practice as I need to get more proficient on my draw and presentation so I'm not searching for the dot. Good luck and enjoy.

Mine is a 320 compact with a Grayguns grip frame, titanium inserts, SIG flat trigger and the Romeo 1 Pro optic.  I haven't started carrying it yet, but I will soon.

If you don't want batteries, the See-All Open Sight pistol version is worth looking into, you can get it tritium lit for night shooting.  I think there is a SIG version.

image.png.47be1ae807b5940cc89f37a70092ba33.png

Here's a pic from PewPew showing the reticle in indoor lighting, i think the newer versions get rid of the big "R" in the corner.

image.png.c7e82b02b60af9b408cf3598b3e6b404.png

Steel Challenge this last Saturday.  My Vortex Viper quit on the final stage.  Shot the stage guessing thru the little window.  Checked on it when I got home.  Working perfectly.

Electronics fail.

Electronic failure possibility increases with the need that the device works.

Have a backup plan.  You will need it.

I have 2 Sig Sauer Romeo 5 red dot sights. One on my AR-15 and one on my Ruger PC Carbine. I have had them for over two years and the batteries are still working. I do not shoot the AR often at all and the PCC every other month. They use 2035 disc batteries. 

Something you should know. If have astigmatism a red dot may be hard to focus for you. OLG is who told me about this when I complained that the red dot blobbed out on me when i turned up the intensity on them. Thanks @The Original Lumpy Gritz

Green dots and green fiber optics do not blob out on me. 

1 hour ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I have 2 Sig Sauer Romeo 5 red dot sights. One on my AR-15 and one on my Ruger PC Carbine. I have had them for over two years and the batteries are still working. I do not shoot the AR often at all and the PCC every other month. They use 2035 disc batteries. 

Something you should know. If have astigmatism a red dot may be hard to focus for you. OLG is who told me about this when I complained that the red dot blobbed out on me when i turned up the intensity on them. Thanks @The Original Lumpy Gritz

Green dots and green fiber optics do not blob out on me. 

Great point.  I have an astigmatism and can't see a red dot really clearly, always a little blurry.  When I went looking for an optic for my PCC I ran across a prism scope with an etched reticle and it's a game changer for me.  The one I bought for my PCC is this one.  If I could find something like this for my 365 XL I'd certainly take a hard look at it.  I do need to check into a green dot, anyone know of a green dot that will work on a 365XL?

Kajun

Archived