SASS Wire Forum

BPCR Question -- By Weight or by Volume?

Cholla

When you are loading BPCR loads, are you going by weight, using a scale, or by volume? I have the Lyman 55 for BP and it seems to defeat the purpose of the unit and the drop tube that comes with it to weigh each charge.

As long as you stick with the same brand of Black Powder, the amount of powder will be the same with weighing or volume.  Most folks find a good measure like the Lyman is best, fastest, just as accurate on target as weighing.    As you say, if you need to use drop tube to get as much powder in as you can, you need to use the measure.

good luck, GJ

Both. If dropping from a powder station I always weigh it also. Usually 2 to 4 grains off from the drop.

I use a lyman powder station now, set the weight and no checking.

24" drop tube helps settle the powder, allows more room in the case, and more consistent loads.

to pile on, powder type, bullet, and gun will also need to determine how much, if any compression fo the powder you'll need!

7 minutes ago, Zeb Gray, #36839 said:

For me it's volume down drop tube from a Lyman 55 BP.  I've found weight will vary.  

I'm the opposite. Using a powder drop and then weighing I found it off by 2 to 4 grains. Using an electronic powder dispenser my weight and column height, volume, are more consistent.

3 hours ago, irish ike, SASS #43615 said:

I'm the opposite. Using a powder drop and then weighing I found it off by 2 to 4 grains. Using an electronic powder dispenser my weight and column height, volume, are more consistent.

It is ok to use a electric dispenser like rcbs chargemaster with bp?

7 minutes ago, Marshall Matt Dillon said:

It is ok to use a electric dispenser like rcbs chargemaster with bp?

RCBS says no, but people do anyway. 

If using a Lyman powder measure, you have to understand how gravity (and the adjustments) work.   That is, there are three adjustments to internal bars that open up the throat of the measure.  The big, lowest bar has to be open so it's top never sticks out in the throat from under the middle bar.  The middle bar has to be tucked under the edge of the top bar.  Otherwise, the "steps" retain a variable amount of powder on every throw.   When I hear a person say they can't get an accurate weight, that's the first thing I have them check.

good luck, GJ

Many ways to skin this cat. The key is to eliminate deviation.  I weigh every charge, drop it down the tube, compress then seat the bullet.  Go with the method that yields the best results.  

Have fun; BPCR is a blast. 

Gringo

Gringo is right... there are many ways. When I was somewhat serious about loading for any of my Long Range Guns my goal was the least deviation, and at the time I was pretty pleased with the results I got using Swiss 1 1/2 powder. I would use a charge that had been weighed so I could repeat it time and again. Then I would use my vibrating case cleaner to setting the charge. I would just let the case touch the vibrating cleaner for a short given time and it would settle the powder. (Not too much shaking or it wont settle) I got better results this way than I did when dropping the powder. I liked to use a charge that the bullet would rest on top of. I had no need to compress the charge after it had been settled using the vibrator.  At that point you can drop in the bullet and use a light crimp. Some folks use a snug fitting fiber wad pushed down on top of the powder to keep it in place then drop in the bullet just before shooting on the firing line. I never did it that way although some folks swear by it. I remember this one guy standing next to me in the awards line at a match. He was telling me how much better it was to load that way for a match. He had just taken second place at the match. I didn't take third.  :ph34r:

Snakebite.

22 hours ago, Garrison Joe, SASS #60708 said:

As long as you stick with the same brand of Black Powder, the amount of powder will be the same with weighing or volume.  Most folks find a good measure like the Lyman is best, fastest, just as accurate on target as weighing.    As you say, if you need to use drop tube to get as much powder in as you can, you need to use the measure.

good luck, GJ

Volume to weight varies from lot to lot of powder.

Best to weigh. 

OLG 

I use mass (weight) to measure powder.  In doing so 2-3 granules of 1.5 F powder can make a difference.  I do not think (imho) by volume one can see the difference of 2-3 granules of powder.

Consistence is the key.

59 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Best to weigh. 

Case volume never varies.  Better to use volume.  :o

Practically speaking, try both and use what gives best accuracy in your guns.

good luck, GJ

A couple of things from my experience. In my benchrest days 222 to 6PPC to 50BMG I checked every case for volume. They were always a bit different, segregate (can I use that word now?) and adjusted powder charge if necessary. Only the most different ones required .05 grain difference in smaller cases. Some 50BMG needed almost 1.5 grains to match MV.

A quick shortcut to avoid all the filling with water or alcohol was to sort cases by weight. Not as accurate but good enough for most shooters. Now I do ELR out to 1.5 miles and back to volume checking each case.  Charges weighed to .02 grains (basically 1 kernel.) And use a drop tube since all my loads are case fill.

For BPCR I weigh every charge, anneal cases after every shot, and use the lightest and heaviest ones for practice. Use a 24" drop tube and touch the cases very lightly to a vibrating  aquarium pump for a couple of seconds.  Your opinion may vary.

1 hour ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Best to weigh. 

OLG 

Not arguing, just trying to take it all in; if that is true, and we are concerned about "powder column" in the case and consistent compression (if needed) and bullet depth, wouldn't you go by volume and NOT weight (if volume to weight varies if lots of powders)?

4 hours ago, Garrison Joe, SASS #60708 said:

Case volume never varies.  Better to use volume.  :o

Practically speaking, try both and use what gives best accuracy in your guns.

good luck, GJ

Go ask any master class BPCR competitor if they load by volume?

Guess what the answer will be ;)

OLG 

3 hours ago, The Rainmaker, SASS #11631 said:

Not arguing, just trying to take it all in; if that is true, and we are concerned about "powder column" in the case and consistent compression (if needed) and bullet depth, wouldn't you go by volume and NOT weight (if volume to weight varies if lots of powders)?

Load by weight. 

Then accuracy test the new lot of powder. 

Adjust weight if needed.

This goes for smokeless as well as BP.

OLG 

i use my custom dipper with 1-1/2 g Old Eyensford with wad, 650 grain .512 Postell, SPG lube in my brass 3-1/4" cartridge cases in my C. Sharps .50-140 with MVA Extra Long Range sight and spirit level front sight. I have been very pleased. It remains really fun to touch off my loads. However, I am quite elderly and no longer claim to absolute accuracy.  I use 525 grain bullets for offhand. I am not very big so I often draw spectators that enjoy watching that. 

Archived