SASS Wire Forum

Uberti Model 1866 in .22LR on GB

Cholla

Ooh, dat's purty!

Sure looks good and nice price-- so far.    But remember the 24 in barrel makes that a beast.       GW

I just bought the carbine version. It's being shipped west as I write this. I thought it was cool and IF I ever have grandkids, they got a rifle to shoot.

1 hour ago, Cholla said:

I just bought the carbine version. It's being shipped west as I write this. I thought it was cool and IF I ever have grandkids, they got a rifle to shoot.

That was the reason I had looked at one a while ago.  Nice rifle, but heavy.  Built exactly like a 45, or 38, but with the .22 barrel this one has it would be a beast!

I bought a '73 in 32-20 with a 20" barrel for my wife, but it is also very front heavy.  Be a lot better with an 18 1/2" barrel, but I can't bring myself to have it cut.

12 hours ago, Dogmeat Dad, SASS #48563L said:

I bought a '73 in 32-20 with a 20" barrel for my wife, but it is also very front heavy.  Be a lot better with an 18 1/2" barrel, but I can't bring myself to have it cut.

Yes I have a Uberti '73 with a 24" barrel, and it's very front heavy, and yes I can't bring myself to have it cut shorter either.

That rifle looked like new, though the s/n indicates it was made in '97 or '98.  I'm surprised it didn't go for more than the $984 final price, considering the market today.  A new one lists for $1300+.

A few weeks ago, I saw both one of these 66's and a 73 for sale at two different places each for between 900 and 1000 dollars.   Long story short, some finances came together for me, and I would have been able to get both of them if I wanted them.   But when I went to do do just that, they were both gone.   The 66 was listed as "new old stock" and the 73 was listed as "used in excellent condition."

For the one that was just on Gunbroker, I put in what I thought was a decent bid, and a half an hour before it ended, I was still the top bidder.   Had to step away from my desk, and by the time I was able to log on again, I had been outbid.

Oh well.  I'll keep looking.

I have the long had the following "goals"

Small Frame Lightning

Medium Frame Lightning

Large Frame Lightning

Lighting Bolt Pistol
This goal has been met.

.22 Uberti 66 or Uberti or Winchester 73 in .22
Henry/66/73

I have the three main match rifles, but not the small or large ones.  I may even want to get both 22's, one to go with the Henry/66 and the other to go with the 73.

Winchester 9422
Winchester 92

Winchester 86
Mare's Leg Pistol.
Semi-Achieved.  My 9422 is a .22 Magnum, so I need to get one in LR

And I have toyed with this idea as well, but have not taken it all that seriously.

Winchester 9422
Pre-83 Winchester 94 in .44 Magnum
Winchester 94.
Again, don't have the one in the middle.

At the moment, I am aware that this could also be done with Marlins and Henry Repeating Arms guns, but I am not interested in those.   Being a southpaw, I don't like the side ejection.  It's tolerable in a .22 but in larger calibers, my wrist gets irritated by the hot gasses.

I wonder if there'll ever be a commercially produced 73 Mares leg type pistol?

Archived