SASS Wire Forum

have I been wrong? is my car a girl or not?

Trigger Mike

For years I refer to my cars and especially my trucks as a girl.  Whenever I gun the engine to pass someone or get out of someones way, I rub the dashboard and tell her "good girl".  What if my truck identifies as a guy?  will it shut down on my one day out of anger that I mis-gendered it?

“She” infers high maintenance. 
“He” infers that at some point there’s going to be a problem with things getting done. 

I call my truck “Truck”

I call my bike “Bike”.

I call my roadster “Car”

My guns are guns, except Brutus. An 8 shot .357 Magnum should have a name. ;)

Only one of my cars had a name: a 1970 1/2 Pontiac Firebird Formula 400.  My wife referred to it as my "Iron Mistress" so I had a decal made.............

My wife said a girlfriend would have taken up less time and money.  :P  :D

I've had a couple of vehicles I could've called "Money Pits" but it wasn't because they were fun...

they were generally referred to with hyphenated names...

Was Rollin on a snowy day with my daughter in the back seat years ago and had a bit of slip and wiggle. I said 'whoaaa girl take it easy' and I hear a little voice in back say ' your car's a girl? How do you tell?'

I told her if a car takes care of me and doesn't butt heads or try to see who's the boss it's a girl but if it always gives me grief breaks down just to spite and refuses to cooperate its a guy. 

She shrugged said good to know and went back to looking out the window.

When I was in the Navy we referred to our ships as “She”. It seemed appropriate. My boats, on the other hand were just boats. They did have names though. 
My deck boat was “No Shop Talk”

My bass boat was “Talk Shop and Swim” :D

Howdy,

I had an old ford van that had home made panels riveted various places.

Called Rivit of course.

When it broke it was cheap to fix.

Would they all were....

Best

CR

I've never named a car or truck that I owned. I called them plenty of names with a lot of these things %^$#@*(& but never called them a girl or boy!

The only vehicle with a name I had was Butt Ugly. There were 3-4 colors of paint, a broken grill and a few large dents on the side. Being a 4x4, it had a small lift on it. People used to give me a lot of room when I came up on them. It must have been scary with this ugly beast looming large in the rear view mirror. I used to joke about driving over some of the smaller cars.

The only vehicle I owned that got a name was an F-350 Crew Cab with a 7 liter V-8. About the only option it didn't have was 4-wheel drive. We called it "Big Red". (It was red!)

Archived