SASS Wire Forum

Marlin cowboy limited 44-40

Scott Wayne

I saw one, exactly like this (except no leather pad on the lever), at a gun show, in 2019. It had the box as well. Can't remember if it was unfired, or not, but was in good condition. They were asking $1,200.00

This asking price was, obviously, pre-covid, and pre-buying feeding frenzy.  

In today's buying feeding frenzy, it, like as not, may very well fetch more.

I believe these 44 WCF models were "JM" Marlin's, and not produced by Remington. If so, they would be more in demand. 

But, what anything is worth, is what someone is willing to give.  Check the prices of a comparable JM Marlin, (or as close as you can get) on the various gun sites, and see what they are going for. If you have a book of gun values, that may give you some sort of minimum bench mark price, but that is by no means indicative of what someone would be willing to give for one.  

If its a 'JM' brand,  It value is probably over 1K, closer to $1200-$1400 normally.

To a Cowboy shooter wanting a 44-40, probably a few hundred more, maybe closer to $1800+ looking at its condition.

It looks like its in great shape.    With original box, you can also add about $50 to the price.

In MY opinion, the 44-40 is probably the best Cowboy model to slick up and run great.

Its a superb rifle.

Seems like the most expensive Cowboy model was (is) the .32 H&R mag caliber.   

..........Widder

I have one of these rifles, I bought it last year at a gun show for $800 in fired once and put away condition, It's a nice rifle, Hard to find the shorter one's I also have one of the 24" 44/40 Marlins.

My brother just bought a Marlin .44-40 with the serial number starting with 4440xxxx for $1000 out the door.  I think SASS members will pay more for one but the general puplic looks at it as the cost of factory ammo is high and no local stores carries it. If they reload it is hard to load for (not) and most have to buy the dies and etc.

3 hours ago, Kid Rich said:

I believe there were almost 900 of them made for Davidsons.

kR

There were 925 S/N 4440xxx made for Jerry's Sporting Goods in 1993.  There were only 325 S/N 1894Dxxx made for Davidson's in 2000.

1 hour ago, LonesomePigeon said:

"There were 925 S/N 4440xxx made for Jerry's Sporting Goods in 1993.  There were only 325 S/N 1894Dxxx made for Davidson's in 2000."

Do you know if these had Micro-Groove or Ballard rifling?

From my records, I found the following on the Marlin Owners forum a few years ago:

• "The serial numbers will run 44400xxx. It wasn't a regular catalog item and is the only 44-40 made with Microgroove rifling."

Another tidbit that was from the Marlin Owners forum regarding the 4440xxx S/N's: 

• "From what I've been able to find out this was the first run of modern era 1894's in 44-40."

Archived