SASS Wire Forum

Need to remove Sure-Hit Sights from Rugers

Max Payne

When I acquired Ophelia's 32 Single-Sixes, the front sights were filed to point of aim. I installed Sure-Hits on all 3 of her pistols & filed them to the same profile that they already had. We have discovered that she needs more of the blade in her sight picture, so I'd like to remove the ones that are on there & install some new ones without taking them down so far or at all.

I don't want to take a chance on screwing around so that the whole front sight comes off, so I'd like to know if anyone has needed to do something like this & has done so successfully. I used the epoxy or whatever the super-duper liquid is that came with the Sure-Hits when installing them.

I was advised by a reliable source that I could heat them up & then drive a small screwdriver in to pry them loose, but I'd like to get some more feedback before I do anything I might regret.

Feedback, please.

Call Frank and see what he recommends.  http://www.surehitsights.com/about-us.html

Have you tried a little heat? I'm not saying it will work but I would cautiously give it a try. What's to loose? Worse case is you use too much heat and the sight comes out.... so what, then you just put in another one. 

Snakebite

Use a hair dryer and heat them, they will come off or a small butane torch.

Max, once you put the new ones on I used JB Weld to fill in above the factory sight. Then I had something solid one I filed them without going down to the factory  sight. I also filed them down on the range so I could file a little and then shoot until I got them where I wanted.

Randy

Heated mine with a hair dryer and they pried off easily.

All good feedback. I did talk to Slick, & he said that others had done the heat & pry successfully, but had not done it himself. Thought I would get some feedback from those with personal experience. By the way, he answered his phone on Sunday evening & discussed this with me. Sounds like my 1st move is dryer & prying. I also have a heat gun if I need to step it up. Thanks everybody.

13 minutes ago, Marshal TKD, Sass # 36984L said:

Max 1/2 pound of Tannerite should fix your front sight problem. :ph34r:

"Candygram for Mongo"

11 hours ago, Cowboy Junky said:

This isn't my fault is it Max? lol.......

It somehow probably is!

On 3/8/2021 at 9:31 AM, Marshal TKD, Sass # 36984L said:

Max 1/2 pound of Tannerite should fix your front sight problem. :ph34r:

There you go!

Just finished removing sure hits on 2 stainless Rugers. Used a heat gun, a thin blade pocket knife, and a 1" nylon/brass hammer. Placed gun in a vise, and heated the sight. Positioned the edge of knife blade on the glued joint, and tapped gently until it wedged apart the brass from the sight blade. Eazy peezy. Now how do I get the glue residue off. Tried some acetone to no avail. Didn't have any lacquer thinner on hand. Suggestions please.

14 hours ago, Buck Garrett said:

Just finished removing sure hits on 2 stainless Rugers. Used a heat gun, a thin blade pocket knife, and a 1" nylon/brass hammer. Placed gun in a vise, and heated the sight. Positioned the edge of knife blade on the glued joint, and tapped gently until it wedged apart the brass from the sight blade. Eazy peezy. Now how do I get the glue residue off. Tried some acetone to no avail. Didn't have any lacquer thinner on hand. Suggestions please.

I did the same thing, except I used a razor blade instead of the knife. Soaked for awhile in acetone (I don't know if that helped or not) then cleaned the rest of the glue off with the razor blade and then polished. Mine were stainless steel so I didn't have to worry about the finish.

Archived