SASS Wire Forum

Priority mail

Irish Pat

Yer Point??

Been common knowledge for months, the postal service is in trouble and the current Post Master General is doing his level best to make it really bad.  Cheer up amigo.  It got there, dindnit.

I had a Priority from Arizona take 11 days to get here. A ground I sent across country took 2 1/2 days. Don't waste the extra $ on Priority any more!:huh:

Yes. The two-day/three-day shipping promise is absolutely false. It is an absolute nightmare waiting on things to go through the Phoenix hub. USPS PM is taking three to four weeks. UPS is working perfectly. I order items from Midway and I get it exactly when UPS says. USPS repeatedly says, your item has been delayed.

Seller shipped a rifle to me USPS on February 19th. Didn't arrive until March 5th. The tracking just said it was delayed most of the time. Tracking finally said it had arrived in Greensboro,  about 2 hours from me. It took 3 more days to reach my LGS. Never use USPS for anything important. 

Thankfully USPS' hubs at Little Rock and St Louis are still doing well. Sorry to hear of so many friends having trouble out of them.

USPS has worked fine here.

FedEx however, not so much.

:FlagAm: Must have hit it on a "good" day.  I mailed payment for a rifle on 2March from Mesa, AZ.  Seller received on 3March in Cleveland, OH.  I used a large flat rate envelope.  Not inexpensive at $26.35, but again, it got there overnight.

Chas B. 

4 hours ago, Eyesa Horg said:

I had a Priority from Arizona take 11 days to get here. A ground I sent across country took 2 1/2 days. Don't waste the extra $ on Priority any more!:huh:

I signed up for shipment of three packages online, all going to a relative.  I tried sending them Ground, and it wouldn't take it! Had to go Priority 2-3 day. One of the packages they charged $43.00, but the other two went for $14+, and one of the two later was the same weight and dimensions as the first one! I know I didn't ask for Priority Express on the first one.  They are on the front porch awaiting pickup, so I don't know how long it will take! :unsure::wacko:

When "it's" inevitable..." even if you don't enjoy it! :rolleyes:  Ben Franklin must be spinning!

That pricing is amazing!     

At Christmas we sent 3 packages all to the same town and 2 of them took over 3 weeks to get there, the other one took 2 days. Go figure. Another American institution going down the toilet. :(

On 3/8/2021 at 9:28 AM, Solomon Vaquero said:

Seller shipped a rifle to me USPS on February 19th. Didn't arrive until March 5th. The tracking just said it was delayed most of the time. Tracking finally said it had arrived in Greensboro,  about 2 hours from me. It took 3 more days to reach my LGS. Never use USPS for anything important. 

I bought a rifle from  the SASS classifieds. The seller sent me an email with the tracking number. I looked it up and it was entered in Port Arthur TX. I never saw any movement or change in that tracking number. I worked as an Electronics Tech for the Postal Service and one of my jobs was to check the tracking system at my local Distribution Center. I had access to the tracking system that does not show on the customers side. I could tell what scanner they used when it was logged in at Port Arthur and what time. I checked on that package every day until one day I was walking by the packages and saw one that might fit the item. I looked and it was the right item. It had just been taken off the truck and not logged in locally. That was the only other than the initial log at Port Arthur. I called my local FFL and notified him of its arrival at the plant and that it should be there the next day. The tracking should have been logged every time it was handled. I am pretty sure there was more than one change point between Port Arthur TX to Bangor Maine. NO direct trucks that is.

It wasn't that long ago that when an USPS package coming to me landed in Nashua , NH it would be here the next day as the truck brings stuff from Nashua every night to White River. Now things just seem to sit in White River or on a truck for several days.

That package I was getting from Arizona went from Scottsdale to Phoenix to Scottsdale and then back to Phoenix, that took 3 days. Then it was lost in the ozone for several more days. Priority used to be fast!

On 3/7/2021 at 4:39 PM, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

Yer Point??

Been common knowledge for months, the postal service is in trouble and the current Post Master General is doing his level best to make it really bad.  Cheer up amigo.  It got there, dindnit.

The problem is we pay MORE for priority mail that's supposed to be delivered in 2-3 days. Why pay more, if you just send it first class it'll probably get there in the same amount of time! Gabeesh??:P

The Cleveland-Akron area hub has been a nightmare since the election. Maybe somewhat before that even.  Cleveland TV stations are reporting property tax bills due in Jan. that were delivered way after the due date and payments mailed that usually get there on time aren't and taxpayers are getting hit with late fees even though they were sent out in what usually is plenty of time. A lot of us here in the park are just turning in lot rent payments to the office here instead of mailing them to Girard because of the delays:(:angry::blush:

Eventually it’ll be 2-3 week priority.  

However, I did have some luck sending my passport renewal.  Tracking showed it delivered in 36 hours but it only had to go from here to Irving, TX.

I know some boxes are going slow, but I mailed two flat rate boxes from Texas to Alaska on Monday and they were delivered Friday, which is pretty fast for normal times.

USPS, my latest adventure with Priority Mail lasted only 3 days. Left the sender in Ohio on March 13, arrived on March 16 in Kansas. Totally happy with this. :D

Ordered a small item from Massachusetts on February 16.  Weighs less than a pound.  As of yesterday, according to the USPS tracking number, it had made it to Memphis, Tn.

Up here in Alaska, USPS priority flat rate is a godsend.  UPS is three to four times more expensive for everything, and a lot of stores won’t even ship here.  We get very annoyed by customer services people who tell us the can’t ship to Alaska because they only ship to the United States.  Lots of other stores will only ship UPS, which can cost hundreds of dollars.  Amazon prime is very popular for the free shipping.  

it’s a shame more companies don’t do business with the USPS.  They need the money and the provide a vital service to the US.  Unfortunately, they suffer from congressional interference and bad management.  

51 minutes ago, Doc Coles SASS 1188 said:

We get very annoyed by customer services people who tell us the can’t ship to Alaska because they only ship to the United States. 

Probably the same type of people that intend to restrict screaming/yelling on roller coasters.

Sent a priority mail small envelope from Kaliforny central coast to Chicago on the 17th it arrived on the 19th.

I believe the USPS is just so overloaded with mail due to the covid 19 deal, it's pretty much hit and miss. The postal worker I asked said it hasn't slowed down one bit since before the holidays.

I took a 9x12 envelope with my taxes in it to the post office in Aurora, MO at about 2 in the afternoon. It was going to Valentine NB to my cousin/accountant.  It was delivered in the next days morning mail.  Less than 24 hours.  I was pleased.

Would I bet on a repeat performance.. Not likely.

On 3/7/2021 at 4:39 PM, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

Yer Point??

No the current Post Master General is trying to stop the deficient spending.  If he doesn’t there will be no USPS.

One day to go from PA to NY.  Sat in NY for three days.  NY to IN one day. Delivered to me the next day.

Archived