SASS Wire Forum

Even 45 Colt Starline Brass is Out of Stock ....

John Boy

https://www.starlinebrass.com/45-colt-brass  

and the going price for any 45 Colt brand once fired is up to 50 cents a case. 
Time to put separate security on my Starline reloads and empties ... about over $1750
Saw one vendor had some and the purchase limit is 10 cases

This shortage is becoming really ridiculous 

Dang!   I was selling my extra .45 Colt Starline brass on the Classified Forum for $75.00 per 500

Who knew that brass was made of gold!

2 hours ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

"Purchase limit 10 CASES??"  :blink:

He said that limit was from "one vendor" not Starline. A couple of months ago I  ordered 500 44 Special, 500 45 Colt and I  forget how many 45-70 from Starline , maybe 250. It was backordered but didn't take long to get it. Normal prices.

The have been "backordered" for sometime - I talked to a gal there last week and she said keep checking the website - so we'll see. Plenty of older cases so I am good, but would like new brass for the bigger matches.

GG ~ :FlagAm:

Good thing I have two big boxes of .38 brass, I keep reloading them and I add to that occasionally with a box of factory when I can find them. I must have 5000 rounds or more!!

I ordered "out of stock" 38 special from starline last monday and got a notification that it had shipped on wednesday.   I am actually in MO and stopped by the starline factory and asked to buy 38 special, 45 colt, 45 cowboy special and was told they were out of stock on all of it. 

Hardpan ..... Yep.  That means you have to buy twice to get enough brass for one scenario 

Hi John, haven't seen you in awhile. Just before Dixie Bill passed away I bought 1,000 Starline 45 Colt cases from him. I didn't really need them as I had plenty but he was clearing things out a bit. Serves me right for saying "I don't REALLY need them". I'll never say that again!! 

If you are really in a bind ... buy the 45 colt "blank" brass from Starline. They are in stock and the only difference is the enlarged primer flash hole. 

I have a lot of these that I bought (long ago) to use with rubber/wax bullets (instead of wasting time drilling holes in regular cases) ... they work just fine for anything.

You can even use them to test primers w/ empty case (or way too light loads) as the larger flash hole prevents the primer from backing out and locking the cylinder.

There is nothing dangerous about the enlarged flash hole ... Winchester used to make 45 ACP w/ a large flash hole when they were flounting "green/eco primers". 

https://www.starlinebrass.com/45-blank-45-colt-blank-brass

I have way too many though ... (like 2K) ... as 45s aren't like 38s ... the 45s last forever. The only ones I have ever has to throw away were pickups that had been used w/ black powder and not cleaned properly (corroded from inside).

I noticed the (Starline) Cowboy 45s are in stock!! I have 500 of those and suspect they really will last forever. :lol: 

Since the pandemic hit I've been in the garage sorting and selling "stuff" that I don't use anymore. I have 1000 pieces of once fired Starline brass in .45 LC that I had purchased several years ago. I have more than enough for what I'm shooting now and thought somebody else might need some from what I've been reading. It is bright and shiny. $170 shipped to who wants or needs it.  

Three Gun Jake 19348L 

Three Gun Jake, I will take it.  PM sent.  Thank you!

4 hours ago, High Spade Mikey Wilson said:

I ordered 1000 last fall to go with the 750 I had be loading. Glad I ordered when I did.

I've got enough to last awhile, but I bought two .25-20's in the past year and had to cut into my stash to form brass for them. Since then, I've also had other folks want me to make .25-20 cases for them too, but I can't get the brass to do it. :(

9 minutes ago, Three Foot Johnson said:

I've got enough to last awhile, but I bought two .25-20's in the past year and had to cut into my stash to form brass for them. Since then, I've also had other folks want me to make .25-20 cases for them too, but I can't get the brass to do it. :(

There is no doubt in my mind that a lot of the 32-20 brass was bought up to make 25-20 since that brass is basically non existent.

• 2 weeks later...

I think this time last year I should have bought stock in toilet paper, paper towels, primers, brass, powder, the grocery stores, and gunbroker. 

I keep reading, and hearing, that they are making all of those things, 24/7/365. 

If that is true, perhaps I will see some on the shelves before I go under. I know it's going somewhere. Question is where?

To fill backorders? Humm...may be. 

Lot's of speculation going on.

As they used to say on the X-Files...."the truth is out there", '' 

9 hours ago, Lazy Eeyour said:

I'm thinking every machine they have is setup for 9 mm, 45 acp and 223 which is shipped as it comes off the line. New firearm purchasers and preppers are not buying old west cartridges.

This is going to lead to some very bad legislation on purchase limits, licensing, and registration, and not out of a sense of fairness either.

Brass is a problem. I ordered more 8 gauge 4-1/4"and 10 gauge 3-1/2' shells. I was told no more 8s because of the brass shortage they won't be made any more. I have thousands of .45 ACP,, '45 Colt, .44 Mag, .44 Special, .41 Long Colt, .38 Special, 357, 16, 20, 28 and .410 but my 8s were getting really old. I want more 10s so I can load a few months CAS supply so I don't get rushed before a match. Fortuitously, I have plenty of primers, Bullseye and Holy Black.

I never thought that I'd have to worry about having loading supplies.

Archived