SASS Wire Forum

H&R trapdoor problem

Irish Pat

Sometimes the trigger sticks  back and doesn’t move back into position after. It is fired. I can push it forward with my trigger finger but it is aggravating. Anybody ever had this happen

I had one and it did the same. 

This from CAS City website:

"The slack in the trigger is normal, on trapdoors and muskets. The internals of the lock, the sear, and the trigger, are to separate pieces. The trigger pushes up on the sear, when you pull it, and that action releases the tumbler, allowing the hammer to go forward. they all have some amount of slack."

Following with interest. I have a H&R Trapdoor as well. Never had a problem. 
is this always or just occasionally? I assume the hammer won’t stay back? 

Carefully remove the lock assembly. With it removed you can operate the trigger and see where it is rubbing on the stock. Suspect they trigger channel in the stock was not made quite right. 

I really think you should wait until after Trailhead to fix it :P

On 3/7/2021 at 4:43 PM, Hoss said:

Following with interest. I have a H&R Trapdoor as well. Never had a problem. 
is this always or just occasionally? I assume the hammer won’t stay back? 

Same here no problems with mine.

On 3/7/2021 at 11:02 PM, Irish-Pat said:

I know for sure Dave and Hoss are both right. My screwdriver keeps my gunsmith busy putting my guns back together. I better wait a little longer

They are not that difficult.

The hammer stays back when you cock  it. The trigger just will not go forward all the time.  I wonder if this is just something with H&R trapdoors. I have looked on the wire and looked at “you tubes” and can’t find any mention of this

Well you made me look,  I have a H&R officers model trapdoor and the trigger on it flops around a bit, It doesn't really reset like a rifle with a trigger spring.

I'd say as long as the sear engages the hammer in all three notches and releases cleanly  you probably don't have a problem.

Archived