SASS Wire Forum

'73 extractor life span

I've been shooting the same non-slicked up Uberti 73 for 17 years and I'm replacing the extractor for the 4th time.  Just wondering what the normal lifespan should be on an extractor.

That's probably normal.

Of course, it depends on several factors including how often you shoot, how dirty the rifle becomes and what caliber it is.

Some top shooters probably change them out every 2 years (or even every year) just to be safe.

Hmm, my oldest '73 is a .357 that is 22 yrs old.  I finally put an SS kit in it about 3 years ago.  I rotate some guns and don't practice, but my spreadsheet shows it to have just shy of 10K rounds through it now.  Still has the original extractor, working fine.

Depends (no, not the Depends in the plastic package).  I don't think there is any one applicable answer.  Way too many variables.  I have four, no, make that 5 Toggle Link Rifles with well over 30,000 rounds each.  Have only needed to replace one extractor.  I wouldn't get upset over the number the OP has replaced.  Cost of doing business.

Seems like the extractor lasts practically forever.  Fouling accumulation under the extractor, however, can make it unreliable in a few years, or less depending on the loads one uses and the coating (or not) on the bullets used.  So, I've had to remove the extractor periodically to clean the channel beneath it and, once you're that far into it, usually changed the extractor at that time.  But, not always.

My extractors don't  become unreliable,  they break in the center.  The rifle is in .45  Colt and has about 25k rounds thru it. I do try to keep the claw end relatively clean..

On 3/7/2021 at 9:52 AM, Redleg Reilly, SASS #46372 said:

I've been shooting the same non-slicked up Uberti 73 for 17 years and I'm replacing the extractor for the 4th time.  Just wondering what the normal lifespan should be on an extractor.

Remove your bolt and send it to one of the many 73 gunsmiths and have them replace the extractor with one made in the US and install a coil spring under the tail or the extractor. Best $50 you can spend on any 73. Did mine over 10 years ago and still going strong.  J&J Gunsmith , Jere Korthanke 405-615-4577 did mine. I called first to make sure he was home and had it back in my hands a week later.

My 15+ year old '73 is on its 2nd extractor. That was fitted by Jim Bowie and that was 11 or 12 years ago. I have a feeling that the first one was tuned to fail, but that is only a guess.

Archived