SASS Wire Forum

Do they still sell prescriptionless eyeglasses

Alpo

These were popular back in the seventies. For some idiotic reason it became fashionable to wear glasses, so for the lane brains that did not have to wear the thing to get around, they made glasses that didn't have a prescription.

On the pilot episode of NCIS, to make Abby more believable in court, they gave her glasses. Then at one point the defense attorney gave her something to read on the stand, and she was attempting to read it through these prescription glasses that she didn't need. And I wondered why she didn't just have prescriptionless.

In the novel I am currently reading, someone is changing his appearance so that he can disappear. Part of his change is to get a pair of reading glasses in the weakest possible prescription. And again I thought about prescriptionless glasses.

So do they still make them, or have they fallen by the wayside, like love beads and buggy whips?

I bought some "period correct glasses" for cowboy shooting a few years ago. They were available in prescription or non prescription. I don't wear them anymore because they're not safe. I can't remember where I got em. Maybe from an ad in the Cowboy Chronicle??

On 3/7/2021 at 7:55 AM, Alpo said:

These were popular back in the seventies. For some idiotic reason it became fashionable to wear glasses, so for the lane brains that did not have to wear the thing to get around, they made glasses that didn't have a prescription.

On the pilot episode of NCIS, to make Abby more believable in court, they gave her glasses. Then at one point the defense attorney gave her something to read on the stand, and she was attempting to read it through these prescription glasses that she didn't need. And I wondered why she didn't just have prescriptionless.

In the novel I am currently reading, someone is changing his appearance so that he can disappear. Part of his change is to get a pair of reading glasses in the weakest possible prescription. And again I thought about prescriptionless glasses.

So do they still make them, or have they fallen by the wayside, like love beads and buggy whips?

Wake up. This is America. "They" sell everything. And in multiple variants, from multiple sales ventures and formats and in large size portions. We are both benefactor and victim of our "Afluenza" culture.

Archived