SASS Wire Forum

Classic Cowboy requirements

Nicely done, especially the historical photos. Thanks. Classic Cowboy rules!

I always enjoy your stuff, thanks!

I added this to our club FB page.

I know Henry Big Boy rifles are not allowed in Classic Cowboy. But...it would appear the SH no longer specifically prohibits them, unless they don’t consider it a replica ( neither is a Ruger Vaquero)

seems like the HB used to have very specific wording on HBBs. Am I missing something? (And yes I know no self respecting CC would shoot a HBB!) 

Classic Cowboy/Classic Cowgirl Category
Classic Cowboy/Classic Cowgirl category carries rules and guidelines for both costuming and firearm/caliber usage.
Firearm Rules:
 - Any main match fixed sight revolver may be used.
- Revolvers must be shot Duelist or Double Duelist style. See Duelist description
for required shooting technique.
- Rifles: Any 1873 or earlier manufacture SASS legal rifle or a replica thereof (e.g.,
1866 Winchester, 1860 Henry, 1873 Winchester).

- Revolver and Rifle Calibers: .40 caliber or larger, rimmed cartridges. Examples include, but are not limited to, .38-40, .44 Special, .44 Russian, .44 Mag., .44-40, .45 Schofield, .45 Colt, or .36 caliber or larger cap and ball.
 - May use any SASS legal ammunition as long as it adheres to the above caliber restrictions.
 - Shotguns: SASS legal external hammer double barrel, single shot, or lever actions. External-hammer double barrel shotguns must have manually
Copyright© Single Action Shooting Society, Inc. 2021 Version 25

functioning hammers. Faux hammers and hammers that are cocked internally are illegal.

Found it!

I wonder why it’s not in the category description? 

I would not consider the HBB to be a copy or reproduction of any rifle made prior to 1873. It is a brass-framed lever-action but it doesn't look the same at all. They have their own unique profile. The Henry Original (1860) is a different matter.

6 minutes ago, Hoss said:

Found it!

I wonder why it’s not in the category description? 

Because the HBB is not a replica of any of the approved rifles, it is a modern take on a lever action. It looks nothing like earlier rifles.

1 minute ago, The Verdigris Kid said:

Because the HBB is not a replica of any of the approved rifles, it is a modern take on a lever action. It looks nothing like earlier rifles.

I’m not arguing for allowing HBBs. but a Vaquero is not an exact replica either. 

6 minutes ago, Hoss said:

I’m not arguing for allowing HBBs. but a Vaquero is not an exact replica either. 

It depends on the configuration. Talo hammers...no. SASS version...no. An unaltered Vaquero looks pretty close.

19 minutes ago, Hoss said:

To make your point, NCOWS doesn't allow the modified Vaqueros like I have. Only those with Colt-like hammers are allowed. And the HBB isn't allowed.

I would like to state, for the record, that my Rugged Gear Deluxe 4 gun cart is the exact model Wyatt Earp used to tote his guns & gear to the OK Corral & back :P

im not pimpin for the HBB, my question is why wasn’t it mentioned in the gun requirements listed in catagory specs on pg 6-7? Only place it’s mentioned is way down on pg 39

15 hours ago, Hoss said:

im not pimpin for the HBB, my question is why wasn’t it mentioned in the gun requirements listed in catagory specs on pg 6-7? Only place it’s mentioned is way down on pg 39

Because...:P

18 hours ago, Hoss said:

As you quoted before:

19 hours ago, Hoss said:

- Any main match fixed sight revolver may be used.

- Rifles: Any 1873 or earlier manufacture SASS legal rifle or a replica thereof (e.g., 1866 Winchester, 1860 Henry, 1873 Winchester).

That said, I personally would welcome a bit stricter rules regarding allowed firearms and their modifications in CC. For example, a 73 with a carbon fiber tube mag would look kind of ridiculous... :rolleyes:    And raise that minimum PF a bit for those big bores! :ph34r:

Archived