SASS Wire Forum

WTB EAA Witness 10mm

Probably a long shot on a cowboy forum, but I figured I'd try here before finally breaking down and buying something off of gun broker. 

Mainly interested in EAA because I've fired other witnesses and liked them, but if you have something else that fits my requirements I'll consider it.  I want a full sized; hammer fired; DAO or DA/SA; 10+ round capacity pistol in 10mm.  My research shows there's only 2 companies who make them, Grand Power and EAA.  EAA seems to be a lot more common and they have more models than you can shake a stick at.  Glock and Springfield are both striker fired so I'm not interested in them, and as much as I love 1911s I don't want one in 10mm.  There's something unnatural about a 1911 in anything but 45 acp. 

Sig makes the 220 in 10mm too. Might want to check them out.

rock island makes a 10 mm in 1911 format.  been shooting mine for a while.  not sure if I like shooting the gun or the idea of shooting a 10 mm.  lol.

Have a EAA Witness 10mm that was a gam-a-matic that I had a new slide fitted to that has run 100%.  Mine is an older model made when they didn't run good.  Look at a S&W 1006 IMO one of the best made.  You can only buy used.  My EDC for several years was an 2011 STI Perfect 10 with 6" barrel 10 mm.  With the large mag I could carry 15 rounds in the gun.  Like all gun companies you get good and bad anymore.  

The S&W doing rapid fire is the easiest to come back on target.  The EAA allows me to shoot the smallest groups.  The STI has the least felt recoil.  I reload or shoot Underwood ammo.  The STI likes 180gr XTP's, the other two like 200 gr XTP's or Gold Dots.  I only use full power 10mm loads, not loads down loaded to .40 S&W, for good cycling.

2 hours ago, DeaconKC said:

Sig makes the 220 in 10mm too. Might want to check them out.

Oh yeah I forgot about the sig.  I think I'd be happy with one even though they only hold 7.  Lotsa money, but sig makes a heck of a pistol. 

29 minutes ago, Pee Wee #15785 said:

Have a EAA Witness 10mm that was a gam-a-matic that I had a new slide fitted to that has run 100%.  Mine is an older model made when they didn't run good.  Look at a S&W 1006 IMO one of the best made.  You can only buy used.  My EDC for several years was an 2011 STI Perfect 10 with 6" barrel 10 mm.  With the large mag I could carry 15 rounds in the gun.  Like all gun companies you get good and bad anymore.  

The S&W doing rapid fire is the easiest to come back on target.  The EAA allows me to shoot the smallest groups.  The STI has the least felt recoil.  I reload or shoot Underwood ammo.  The STI likes 180gr XTP's, the other two like 200 gr XTP's or Gold Dots.  I only use full power 10mm loads, not loads down loaded to .40 S&W, for good cycling.

I did not know about the smith, I'll add it to my search list, thanks!

The 3rd gen Smith's are good guns.  The Model 1076 double action only, is most commonly known as the "FBI Pistol", because the Bureau ordered 10,000 Model 1076 pistols for its agents in the aftermath of the 1986 FBI Miami shootout.  They found that full power recoil and grip size was more than the small agents could handle so they down loaded, which resulted in the .40 S&W.

Smith & Wesson 1006
Type Semi-automatic handgun
Place of origin United States
Production history
Manufacturer Smith & Wesson
Produced 1990–1995
Variants 1026, 1046, 1066, 1076 (FBI model) and 1086
Specifications
Barrel length 5 in (127.0 mm)

Cartridge 10mm Auto
Action Recoil operated DA/SA
Feed system 9-round single stack magazine

• S&W 1026: Double Action / Single Action (DA/SA) gun with frame-mounted decocker / safety and 5″ barrel.
  • S&W 1046: Double Action Only (DAO) gun with 5″ barrel.
  • S&W 1066: Double Action / Single Action (DA/SA) gun with slide-mounted decocker / safety and 4.25″ barrel.
  • S&W 1076: Double Action / Single Action (DA/SA) gun with frame-mounted decocker / safety and 4.25″ barrel.
  • S&W 1086: Double Action Only (DAO) gun with 4.25″ barrel.

I didn't think I would want a single stack 10mm, but then I had a chance to hold a Sig P220 Hunter in my hand and it just felt right. Also handled a Witness 10mm that day. I had asked my son on his opinions and he came back with the helpful reply of "buy them both." I put a deposit down on that Hunter, but changed my mind by the time the background check finished and decided to go with the Sig P220 DA/SA Legion. Very happy with that purchase...they are hard to find and are going for stupid prices (like a lot of stuff ) on Gunbroker--saw one go for over $3000 a couple weeks ago.

1 hour ago, Amigo said:

I didn't think I would want a single stack 10mm, but then I had a chance to hold a Sig P220 Hunter in my hand and it just felt right. Also handled a Witness 10mm that day. I had asked my son on his opinions and he came back with the helpful reply of "buy them both." I put a deposit down on that Hunter, but changed my mind by the time the background check finished and decided to go with the Sig P220 DA/SA Legion. Very happy with that purchase...they are hard to find and are going for stupid prices (like a lot of stuff ) on Gunbroker--saw one go for over $3000 a couple weeks ago.

Dangit I was hoping the end of that story would be that you had one for sale. 

A witness elite match just went for under $1k on gunbroker about an hour ago.  I watched but didn't buy.  That particular model is Single Action and I don't know how much it costs to convert it to DA. 

16 minutes ago, Ramblin Gambler said:

Dangit I was hoping the end of that story would be that you had one for sale. 

A witness elite match just went for under $1k on gunbroker about an hour ago.  I watched but didn't buy.  That particular model is Single Action and I don't know how much it costs to convert it to DA. 

Sorry...that EAA Witness I saw was the Hunter version, I believe...had a full six inch barrel on it. That was probably back in November...the Gunbroker prices were getting up there back then, but not like today. After buying a set of SASS guns for myself and my wife this past fall, I figured I had spent more than enough on firearms to cover this year...but if you stop in at the local gun shop, you never know what may show up....kind of like the 6" Python I happened across last night at my gun club...listed at MSRP. It's not there, anymore :D

Archived