SASS Wire Forum

Wanted New Model Vaquero 44 special

There was a sheriff model run of 500, a blued 4 5/8 run of 500, and a stainless 4 5/8 run of 500. I have a pair of the stainless, and I know where 3 more are, but can't get them to part with them.

I know where ten of the stainless 4 5/8"ers are, but with the current shortage of ANY kind of Vaqueros, a pair would be God-awful expensive - the one on Gunbroker is at $1076 right now, with 3 1/2 days to go.

Sheriff Model blue - 510 made

Sheriff Model stainless - 510 made

4 5/8" blue - 500 made

4 5/8" stainless - 503 made

This post seems to have been truncated, several other posts gone including mine from this morning.

Question:  Why are the Lipsey 44 Special revolvers stamped "Vaquero" instead of "New Vaquero"?

Is it possible that the 44 Spl revolvers do not have the New Vaquero frame?  (I already know that the Lipsey revolvers fall in the NV serial number range.  Irrelavent to the question.)

Can someone with a Lipsey 44 Spl Vaquero check the frame size, please? Or is answer common knowledge?

Those who have them, generally do not want to part with them.  They are the ideal combination of gun size and caliber.  Hey Ruger you listening, make some more!  I happened upon 2 many years back in a LGS within a small town.  He said he could not give them away, so they followed me home and he would not give them to me either.  Since then they have been tuned and without a doubt, they are my favorite carry in the woods gun and a occasional CAS gun.  They are out there and you will not be unhappy when you finally acquire a pair.  Be patient though....

Mine are NMV's, SS, 4 5/8th bbl's.

4 minutes ago, Hashknife Cowboy said:

I happened upon 2 many years back in a LGS within a small town.  He said he could not give them away...

That was the story I got when I bought my first *consecutively numbered* pair from Tejas Trading Post in Giddings, TX early in 2013 -

"We've had them for a year and can't get rid of them. Everybody who wants a .44 wants a .44 magnum, not a .44 special."

Of my other eight, I have two that are six numbers apart, two that are seven numbers apart, two that are eleven numbers apart, and two that aren't anywhere close to any of the rest or each other. Kind of odd that the serial number range is so much greater than the number of guns made within the same year.

The one on Gunbroker just sold for $1320.58...

... times two...

... yeah, I might be convinced to part with a pair for $2641!

I doubt Ruger will ever make them, other than a pre-sold distributor special. It's too much of a niche market cartridge in a niche market platform, and they'd never be able to sell more than a handful.

Just a bit off topic, are the new vaqueros actually marked “new vaquero” on their frame?   I was under the impression that Ruger didn’t bother.

Yes, New Vaqueros are marked "New Vaquero", except the 2,023 .44 Special versions, which are just marked "Vaquero", like the larger framed original models.

13 hours ago, Three Foot Johnson said:

Yes, New Vaqueros are marked "New Vaquero", except the 2,023 .44 Special versions, which are just marked "Vaquero", like the larger framed original models.

Don’t forget the run of 44 mag SS vaqueros that are marked new vaquero, but are the original vaquero frame size.   

8 hours ago, Sinola Kid said:

Don’t forget the run of 44 mag SS vaqueros that are marked new vaquero, but are the original vaquero frame size.   

I knew there was another oddity, but couldn't remember exactly what it was. 

Archived