SASS Wire Forum

22LR options explored Rifle

Cottonmouth Mark

Well as many, I too explored and have gotten some 22LR options. 
For the rifle, I went with a Henry Golden Boy. Researching posts here, I got in touch with Widden. He put me in touch with Eric Slater. Well just got back the rifle and though I have zero range time yet (other than about 5 rounds), I am saying WOW!

Can’t wait till practice next week.  It will get its 1st match a week from tomorrow. 

I recently acquired a pair of Ruger wranglers and am going to shoot a Browning BL22 that my father Blue Boy sass 46773, bought for my mother about 50 years ago. I have only shot the pistols and rifle maybe 50 rounds each.  I will let yall know how I do at the match tomorrow in the Plinkerton Division. I dont have a reduced gage SG so my CZ will have to do. It ought to be fun. I will be up against some Widder Henrys.

Imis

It exactly sure what this post is about but I am going to say that my son’s 9422 is smooth accurate, pretty and very accurate! Bought it from Bass Pro back when they were on sale for $299. I believe they are very good rifles and looking for once calibered in .22 mag, with the checkered forearm and stock!

Mark, you will find that the Henry 22 has the smoothest action of any rifle on the market

Was told by Nick Eckert, owner of  Charter Arms, he designed the action for Henry Arms

Well I shot a match yesterday with a Browning BL22 and a pair of Ruger Wranglers. All three are very low round count, fairly stiff not smoothed at all. The biggest things I learned is that (1) after the beep the stiffness is not very noticeable, (2) rimfire is no more reliable than centerfire so have a reload handy and (3)Wranglers should be clean at the beginning of the match or cheap dirty firing ammo may make them hard to load and will drag as the cylinder rotates. 

Other posts have talked about .22 being hard to spot for but several people on my posse made notice that it was not difficult to hear hits. Our targets are relatively close, that may have made a difference.

It was fun , I had decent(for me) times and I will do it again, as available.

Imis

23 hours ago, Nimble Fingers SASS# 25439 said:

It exactly sure what this post is about but I am going to say that my son’s 9422 is smooth accurate, pretty and very accurate! Bought it from Bass Pro back when they were on sale for $299. I believe they are very good rifles and looking for once calibered in .22 mag, with the checkered forearm and stock!

The post was about starting my exploration into some 22s for this sport and that I found a great smith in Eric Slater for Henry 22s 

for pistols, I got Wranglers and installed some Wolf springs today. That made a big difference as well b

33 minutes ago, Cottonmouth Mark said:

The post was about starting my exploration into some 22s for this sport and that I found a great smith in Eric Slater for Henry 22s 

for pistols, I got Wranglers and installed some Wolf springs today. That made a big difference as well b

Slater appreciates your comments.

I taught Slater about all I know concerning the Henry .22's

He is very consciences about his work and makes every effort to perfect the 'Widder Soft Stroke'  Henry .22 rifle.

I didn't teach him about the triggers because he's done the triggers all on his own..... and I might add he makes the

Henry trigger super nice.

I own a Winchester 9422 and a couple Henry .22's

Although the 9422's are nice and smooth, they don't hold a candle to a 'Soft Stroked'  Henry.

And the short stroked mod (part of the Soft Stroke) makes the lever arch 1.25" less than factory.

Super nice.

The 'Soft Stroke' mod will allow the rifle to run 10 rounds in sub 2 times.

..........Widder

Yep, the Widder soft stroke is sweet (regardless of who does it) Widder is still The Man who invented it :D

I shot mine today in our New "Double Deuce"  category at the Tin Horns...

It was a HOOT!!!

Here's Missouri Lefty shooting one............

I don't go Quite that Fast with Mine :blush:

• 2 weeks later...

I have the Henry Frontier in 22LR... a very sweet shooter.
Fit and finish is excellent in every regard.
No regrets at all.. and I'm sucker for octagonal barrels.

fun thread , ill be looking forward to one day shooting the 22s , i have a large assortment as its been an interest for more years than i can recall but till now id not had a chance to pick a set for this game save for my grandkids that are still not showing much interest - maybe one day soon - im looking forward to giving this a go at least once this year , 

Archived