SASS Wire Forum

Cowboy PPC

It has been a long, long, winter.  I have been shooting PPC practice during the winter.  I got to thinking, (That can be dangerous with me.) anyway how about Cowboy PPC for just fun?  You would use your regular pistols and holsters, and guns loaded with 5 rds.   Stage 1,  7 yards standing, 10 shots.    Stage 2, 10 yards, 5 shots left hand with barricade and 5 shot, right hand with barricade.   Stage 3,  40 feet, 5 shots standing, 5 shots kneeling.  Stage 4,  40 feet, 5 shots sitting, 5 shots prone.  Stage 5,  5 shots left hand with barricade and 5 shots right hand with barricade.  50 rds. total.   Target standard 1/2 sized B-27.  Some of us older shooters if they didn't/could not shoot sitting, kneeling or prone, would shoot that part standing.  PPC is a timed event, don't know to time it or just score it.   PPC is usually shot 7 yards then everything moves out to 50 feet.   Just thinking, might be fun, and we could get some trigger time.

3 hours ago, Singin' Sue 71615 said:

Tbone holds Pro Steel in both rifle and pistol calibers...

Usually a CAS match in the morning, PS match in the afternoon.

It's a days shooting. Hanna shoots 6 cowboy stages in the morning & the 5 Pro Steel with both carbine & pistol. 16 stage day. Ah - to be young again !  :P

1 hour ago, Yusta B. said:

It's a days shooting. Hanna shoots 6 cowboy stages in the morning & the 5 Pro Steel with both carbine & pistol. 16 stage day. Ah - to be young again !  :P

She is anamazing young lady!

Her and her momma inspire me!!!

(And whip my tail, every-stinking-time)

1 hour ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

What’s PPC , PC & Pro Steel? 
Practical Pistol Competition?

Pistol Competition?

I'm familiar with Pro Steel (very little).

Thought PC was Politically Correct and PCC was Pistol Caliber Carbine.

Practical Police Competition, started out using 6 shot issued police revolvers, now progressed to include semi-autos, they even have a Bug Match.  The Bug Match is back up gun match, using guns with 3.5 inch or less barrels, if lots of fun, targets are closer.  In PPC loaded guns are drawn from a holster, and sometimes 4 positions are used, standing, left and right hand barricade, kneeling and other positions like sitting and prone are used.  Most reloads are done on the clock with speed loaders or magazine changes.

My friend and gunsmith who passed some years ago was a cop, and instructor, and police armorer. He had a crapload of trophies he won shooting PPC. He shot Distinguished Master, IIRC you have to AVERAGE 495 or better out of 500. Used to watch him bounce tin cans around at 100 yds with a Smith 66 with .38 range loads. Double action.

JHC

15 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

What’s PPC , PC & Pro Steel? 
Practical Pistol Competition?

Pistol Competition?

Pro Steel uses 9mm pistol caliber on steel targets.

PCC here refers to pistol caliber carbine...

Shanley shoots a Diamondback...with optics.

(Have non optic division as well)

PCP here is pistol caliber pistol.

Shanley uses a Glock Gen5...

Look it up on Badlands Bar 3 website.

Fasthammer has a match as well in Las Cruces....if they ever get to 'open up' to have one!

Went to the range today, perfect Michigan weather for this time of the year, 55 degrees and sunny.  Set up a regular PPC range practice and a Cowboy PPC practice.  The regular PPC practice went okay, but I need to change some of the stages for Cowboy PPC.   First I think I would eliminate  Stage #2 and move everything back to regular PPC distances of 50 feet, and maybe make the first stage at 4 yards, 10 shots one handed, kind of like the semi- auto PPC stage.   Our cowboy guns are real accurate at these distances.   Cowboy PPC is kind of slow as you have to reload a single action after each stage, but it can be fun.  The best scenario would be to have two targets set up, and shooter one shoots that stage, and the retreats go to a safe area and reloads, while shooter two shoots the stage, and reloads and moves back to the appropriate distance.  No matter how you look at it, it was trigger time with single actions.

I changed the Cowboy PPC around just a little bit, after yesterdays time at the range.  This is my updated PPC Cowboy stages.

5 Rounds loaded in each revolver.   Stage #1  4 yards, 5 shots, one hand.  Other hand can be used to cock gun, but must be shot one handed.  Stage #2  7 yards, 10 shots, standing.  Stage #3  50 feet, 5 shots standing, 5 shots kneeling.  Stage #4  50 feet, 5 shots, sitting, 5 shots prone.  Stage #5  50 feet, 5 shots, left hand, using barricade,  5 shot right hand, using barricade.   Total 45 rounds       Shooter has the option to stand and shoot instead of kneeling, sitting, or prone position.   Just getting some trigger time with the cowboy single actions.

On 3/5/2021 at 6:46 PM, Michigan Slim said:

I spent a pretty penny for a pretty rifle. Got to use it.

I've said that about twenty five times since last Friday.  The weather promises to be better before much longer and I'll be off to the range again.  Hope it isn't too long.  I'm getting DTs (another term today's generation doesn't know) and the thundering twitchies waiting.

Archived