SASS Wire Forum

Even the Man with No Name didn't mess with the Rifleman.

Raylan

I think the count was padded. Number 34 was a pistol. Roundabout number 55 he stuck a pistol into a board so he could shoot it like a rifle. About at 110 again he used a pistol. The gaucho fell on his own knife. About number 116 or 117 the guy fell on a pitchfork.

And according to Rye Tyler, in Louis L'amour's TO TAME A LAND, back then nobody counted Indians or Mexicans, so that's going to take at least another 15 or 20 off the list.

12 hours ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

The next time my wife accuses me of wasting time, I’m gonna show her Alpo’s post.

:D

Alpo's doing video statistical analysis.  That's hard work. :P

I seen a couple scenes where he actually shouldered the rifle!! :P

15 hours ago, Alpo said:

Roundabout number 55 he stuck a pistol into a board so he could shoot it like a rifle.

I need someone who watched the episode to explain this one to me.  It's at 3:51, kill #51 if anyone wants to look at it.  Why on earth did he need to shoot a pistol like a rifle? 

9 minutes ago, Ramblin Gambler said:

I need someone who watched the episode to explain this one to me.  It's at 3:51, kill #51 if anyone wants to look at it.  Why on earth did he need to shoot a pistol like a rifle? 

The director thought it was cool!:P

The explanation I heard, a few years back, was it he did not know how to hit anything with a pistol. He needed to have a shoulder stock to ensure accuracy.

But there are two or three other kills in that video where he just used pistol in one hand like it was a pistol, which kind of puts the lie on that explanation I was given.

I believe Rye has the correct reasoning. It looked cool.

The Rifleman appears to only hit the trifecta. :wacko:

A great shooter beats that! :o

1 hour ago, Ramblin Gambler said:

It was in the script.

The writers decided to throw something different into that episode to keep things fresh.

2 hours ago, Alpo said:

The explanation I heard, a few years back, was it he did not know how to hit anything with a pistol. He needed to have a shoulder stock to ensure accuracy.

OK but.  He almost never shoulders the rifle. 

lol

48 minutes ago, Ramblin Gambler said:

OK but.  He almost never shoulders the rifle. 

lol

Mad Magazine explained why he carried a rifle. The rifle stock had more room for notches.

Outstanding!  Somebody needs to do likewise with Matt Dillon.

24 minutes ago, Yohanaqua said:

Outstanding!  Somebody needs to do likewise with Matt Dillon.

I bet no one got shot more than Matt Dillon!!

4 hours ago, Ramblin Gambler said:

I think that I remember that episode,  He was shooting the pistol at someone who was pretty far away , so he stuck the grip thru a hole in the board , and used a stick of some kind to fab a higher rear sight. If it is the same episode in question here. The logic is there , but ........, hey , it's Hollywood.

Rex :D

29 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

I bet no one got shot more than Matt Dillon!!

.....and stabbed, and hit on the head!  Also, you would be a fool to take a stagecoach ride with Miss Kitty.  Bad things were gonna happen!

He was left handed, and one of a little more than a dozen people to play both professional baseball and professional basketball.

Matt Dillon has the Rifleman beat all to heck.  I never counted them, but I suspect that in his 20 yrs as a lawman, he shot at least 600 bad guys as there were 635 episodes.  There was the odd episode where he didn't shoot anyone but there were also episodes of where he shot more than one bad guy.

On 3/6/2021 at 7:28 AM, Ramblin Gambler said:

I asked my grandfather the same thing when we watched it when I was a kid. My grandfather said he needed to stabilize the pistol to make the long shot. 

Archived