SASS Wire Forum

"Panfish" - gonna need a bigger pan!

Wow.  

Just saw this in from the California Department of Fish and Wildlife...

Be sure to click on the "expand" button.  ^_^

New Crappie Record in Lake County

Congratulations to Dave Burruss of Lakeport, who has set a new Clear Lake and California state record for black crappie.  He caught a 4 pound, 5.44 ounce fish on Feb. 17, breaking the previous record of 4 pounds, 1 ounce.

Congrats Dave!

New Crappie Record in Lake County

Crappie Steaks~!!   :lol:

I have some mighty fine memories of crappie fishing in my younger days...   :blush:

That is a nice crappie.  And I love crappie, mostly panko breaded and pan fried.  A few more weeks and the crappie beds under our six community docks will start heating up.  During the spawn it's not really fishing, but catching.  At its peak, you can hit your daily limit in under an hour.  Minimum length on our lake is 9 inches and to help keep the breeding stock up in our cove, we have a gentleman's agreement at our condo complex to throw back anything 14 inches and larger unless you're in a tournament.  I'm ready for that warm weather and some tasty fish. :)

Hey Shark. Where are you on the Lake? I'm by Capt. Rons and our docks are sitting really low.

My fishing buddies here have an agreement that we only keep crappie over 10"s.

Can't wait for the water to warm up to get started.

Coyote Kid

3 hours ago, Ozark Shark said:

That is a nice crappie.  And I love crappie, mostly panko breaded and pan fried.  A few more weeks and the crappie beds under our six community docks will start heating up.  During the spawn it's not really fishing, but catching.  At its peak, you can hit your daily limit in under an hour.  Minimum length on our lake is 9 inches and to help keep the breeding stock up in our cove, we have a gentleman's agreement at our condo complex to throw back anything 14 inches and larger unless you're in a tournament.  I'm ready for that warm weather and some tasty fish. :)

Same can be said if you run into bream when they are spawning and on a bed.

Once you figure out the proper depth, you can pull them out as fast as you can get them off the hook and rebait.  I prefer a cane pole for bream fishing for just that reason.  Flip, dip, set the hook, pull it in, toss the fish in the bucket, rebait and repeat. 

They can run from 3 fingers wide to the size of a supper plate and anything in between.  Oddly enough the smaller ones are tougher fighters and put on more of a show than the big ones.

I used to work for a nearby village that still owned the abandoned quarry, that was originally the source water for their now abandoned water plant.
As the village still owned the quarry, and I worked for the village ... well, they had some impressive bluegill ... I looked down from the highwall and was genuinely astonished at the size of those fish!

I know bluegill get thick when they get long ... I can only imagine the thickness of the crappie steaks a man could slab off that lovely picture posted above!
(Pardon me, I'm going to go find something to gnaw on ... the thought of fresh fried crappie has me hungry all of a sudden!)

2 hours ago, Four-Eyed Buck,SASS #14795 said:

Slim, how did that bass get mixed up with those crappies?:rolleyes::lol::blush:

He swallowed the hook and I wanted my bait back! He ate just as good!

Archived