SASS Wire Forum

22 shorts and Henry

Perro Del Diablo

Kind of a non-issue.  .22 longs have not been produced for years.  .22 shorts are scarce as hen's teeth and if you find them they cost more than .22 LR.  Of course right now you can't get anything.

Just now, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

Kind of a non-issue.  .22 longs have not been produced for years.  .22 shorts are scarce as hen's teeth and if you find them they cost more than .22 LR.  Of course right now you can't get anything.

More curiosity question than anything 

1 hour ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

.22 longs have not been produced for years

Someone needs to tell that to CCI.

C38.jpg

22 minutes ago, Alpo said:

Someone needs to tell that to CCI.

C38.jpg

Specialty ammo.         CB caps in long case to feed from magazine      No powder , basically just priming compound    GW

Just now, G W Wade said:

Specialty ammo.         CB caps in long case to feed from magazine      No powder , basically just priming compound    GW

Mmmm.... I think there's a bit more than just priming compound.  :rolleyes:

I've used these a lot to exterminate ground squirrels and even 'possums, at close range (garden).  A bit of a "SNAP!" with pistols or light rifles; out of my heavy-barreled MAS 45 rifle they sound like a pellet gun. 

Love 'em!  ^_^

11 minutes ago, G W Wade said:

Aguila Super Colibri have a 20-grain bullet, twice as much primer as normal, and a muzzle velocity of 535 ft per second

Those longs have a 50% heavier bullet, and a muzzle velocity 200 ft per second greater.

it just seems to me there's got to be gunpowder in that case.

Like Larson, havn;t seen Long's for many years.   Sure do like CB Longs though.    Fat fingers don't like putting CB"s in bolt action.         GW

There has never been a difference in the case length between 22 long and 22 long rifle. The difference is in the weight of the bullet and the powder charge. Back when they were still common (about 100 years ago) a 22 Long was loaded with a 20 grain projectile.

The 22 Long Rifle came about when the case of a 22 Long was fitted with the 40 grain projection from the 22 Extra Long and filled with newer smokeless powders. This gave the performance of the 22 Extra Long in the less costly 22 Long case and could be safely fired on firearms chambered for the 22 long.

On 3/5/2021 at 12:53 PM, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

I'm pretty sure CCI still makes .22 Longs - when I worked at Sportsman's Warehouse from '07-'12, we carried shorts, longs, and long rifles. 

https://www.cci-ammunition.com/rimfire/cci/22_long/6-29.html

On 3/5/2021 at 8:30 PM, Sedalia Dave said:

There has never been a difference in the case length between 22 long and 22 long rifle. The difference is in the weight of the bullet and the powder charge. Back when they were still common (about 100 years ago) a 22 Long was loaded with a 20 grain projectile.

The 22 Long Rifle came about when the case of a 22 Long was fitted with the 40 grain projection from the 22 Extra Long and filled with newer smokeless powders. This gave the performance of the 22 Extra Long in the less costly 22 Long case and could be safely fired on firearms chambered for the 22 long.

CCI Stinger .22 LR have a longer case than a normal .22 LR.

Archived