SASS Wire Forum

Old sayings that young folks don't get

Rye Miles #13621

How about:

Bigger than a bread box.   Most kids / young adults have never seen a bread box.

Clockwise/counterclockwise when many never see a clock with hands and can't associate. 

"Stop that bawling or I'll give you something to bawl about!"

"I slap the flavor right out of you mouth!"

"Your clutch is slipping." (Slip is sliding down below the hemline.)

"Your barn door is open."

"Well, dowg my cats." 

Here is a throwback for you.  Got in the the truck the other evening and turned on the headlights.  Started feeling around on the floorboard with my left foot looking for the dimmer switch!  It's been at least 50 years since I've driven something with a floor mounted dimmer switch.  

Why do they still label gas as "unleaded" when there hasn't been lead in the gas for 50 years.  Most drivers today probably never used leaded gas.   

"Stick you foot in it." "Hammer down."  

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When I lived in Saudi Arabia 50 years ago, when my daughter started to act up and be a brat I would threaten her by saying "settle down or I will sell you to a one-eyed Arab for a quarter."  One day she placed her hands on her hips and boldly said "I am worth More than a quarter."   Hard to stifle a giggle.  She won that round.

I heard about Kids in China being thrilled to eat what I didn't like.  One day I popped off "here's a nickel, send it to them."  That got me removed from the table and exiled to my room for the rest of the day.  Mom didn't take prisoners.....:-(

STL Suomi

19 hours ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

I remember them, but didn't know this:

"Three gold balls suspended from a bar, the pawnbrokers symbol, were  first placed in front of Lombard bankers homes during the Middle Ages. Most people could not read but they knew that three gold balls was a place to borrow money. The Italian province of Lombardy is where pawn shop banking originated. The three gold balls are part of the coat of arms of the Medici banking family of Florence, Italy.  According to legend it is atributed to Saint Nicholas, who anonymously delivered three bags of gold to a friend so his three daughters could be married after being ransomed. Today in images and paintings of Saint Nicholas he is often seen bearing three bags of gold. This benevolent gesture has made him the patron saint of pawnbrokers."

In Ukraine Lombard (ломбард) is the word for pawnshop. Russia too.

Bib and tucker.

Make sure your seams are straight.

Any reference to knickers or bloomers.  

Recycled motor oil.

Galloshes.

Bumper shoots.

LS/MFT

Pull chain o twist door bells.

Wash above your cuffs and below your collar.

Pencil box.

Tax tokens.

Lickem stickem postage stamps.

And the three balls on the pawn shop doesn't mean "the odds are two to one against you getting it back".

14 hours ago, Linn Keller, SASS 27332, BOLD 103 said:

Grandma made the mistake of telling me to clean my plate because there were starving children in China.

I handed it back to her and declared happily, "Load that thing up, Grandma, I won't touch a bit of it and more of those Communists will starve plumb to death!"

She gave me a defeated look and never tried that unsuccessful brand of child psychology again.

I tried that answer one time. Once I could sit down again, I cleaned my plate! Mom was not amused.

1 hour ago, St. Louis Suomi SASS #31905 said:

When I lived in Saudi Arabia 50 years ago, when my daughter started to act up and be a brat I would threaten her by saying "settle down or I will sell you to a one-eyed Arab for a quarter."  One day she placed her hands on her hips and boldly said "I am worth More than a quarter."   Hard to stifle a giggle.  She won that round.

I heard about Kids in China being thrilled to eat what I didn't like.  One day I popped off "here's a nickel, send it to them."  That got me removed from the table and exiled to my room for the rest of the day.  Mom didn't take prisoners.....:-(

STL Suomi

Daddy used to tell us, jokingly, that our replacements wouldn't treat him like that.

He lightened up on using that line for a while after I pointed out that my replacement would be paid at least minimum wage to put up with him.:D

About the 3rd time I used that comeback, he informed me that he was going to hire 3 illegal aliens instead- Jaime, Manuel and Consuela.

32 minutes ago, DeaconKC said:

I tried that answer one time. Once I could sit down again, I cleaned my plate! Mom was not amused.

I knew better than to try. I'd have to go get my own switch!

JHC :lol:

2 minutes ago, Capt. James H. Callahan said:

I knew better than to try. I'd have to go get my own switch!

JHC :lol:

And the switch you came back with BETTER meet their standards, otherwise they are going to go get one and you aren't going to like that at all. How do I know this? Just trust me, I know.

Most don't know what "two bits" is.

1 hour ago, Capt. James H. Callahan said:

Paper or plastic?

JHC

Wrist breaker credit card machines.

Iced soda pop chests in gas stations.

Punch boards.

Savings  stamps.  Mom pretty much equipped our kitchen with S&H green stamps.

Cigarette machines.

Same Bat time. Same Bat channel.

A little dab will do ya.

1 hour ago, Cypress Sun said:

And the switch you came back with BETTER meet their standards, otherwise they are going to go get one and you aren't going to like that at all. How do I know this? Just trust me, I know.

My sister would bring back some piece of broom straw looking switch and get wore out with it.

I figured that if I brought them back half a tree limb rather than a piece of broom straw, they would possibly swing lighter out of fear that it was too stiff and actually doing damage or at least tire out quicker.

Get the books of S & H Green Stamps, and let's go redeem them at the S & H store. 

Seeing a pretty red caboose, at the end of a freight train.

You're slow as molasses in the Klondike. 

I'm out, do you have a spare ink cartridge? 

Being forced, in the 3rd grade, to write, and read, cursive handwriting.

Looking for "wheat pennies", or "buffalo nickels", in your spare change.

Licking postage stamps.

On 3/5/2021 at 5:55 AM, Tyrel Cody said:

Here's a quarter call someone who cares.

Vinyl has been making a comeback so some young folks will understand broken records and great albums.

You must be young Tyrel, In my day it was, "Here's a nickle call someone who cares.":)

46 minutes ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

What does that mean?

I suppose it could mean a jerk - the letter J.

I've heard of L7 - square - so J could be JERK.

I've never heard the term used before. I'm just guessing here.

1 hour ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

What does that mean?

Jay is short for popinjay.

From Marriam Webster

Popinjay: a strutting supercilious person

Another use of Jay is:  Jaywalker.

Phone booth (where does Superman change clothes nowadays?)

When you pick up the phone and the human female operator says, "Number please?"

When you called a company and a human actually answered instead of having to go through a long menu!

1943 steel pennies (anybody got one?)  All the copper was going for cartridge cases and bullet and shell jacketing material.

D.A. (male hair style)

Buzz cut (another male haircut)

Zoot suit with a reap pleat!

Fedora, Homberg, porkpie (when men used to wear hats)

Double-breasted (man's suit coat that lapped over the other side)

Canasta 

Pong, Pac-man, Atari, Apple II+, 9-pin dot matrix (printer)

CB radio (C.W. McCall...I'm about to put the hammer down!)

"Phillips screw driver" (Milk of magnesia and vodka :lol: )

Rolling down the driver's window to signal a turn using your arm  (before turn signals).

Hydromatic drive  

Rocket 88 or 98 (Oldsmobile)

Edgar Bergan and Charlie McCarthy

Uncle Milty (Milton Berl)

"Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?  The Shadow knows!"

"Say the secret woid and divide a hundred dollars!" (The one and only....Groucho!)

BAM - I won't expand on this for fear of severe repercussions - Older Marines would know!

"Manned" air/spacecraft/ship.  Nowadays better say "crewed", without being crued!

W.A.S.P. - No, not what you were thinking.  Women' Air Service Pilots.  The female heroes who flew all sorts of aircraft during WWII, towing aerial targets., ferrying aircraft all over the world, test flying them.  A number of them died and the whole organization wasn't regarded as being in the military...until a few years back when Congress finally said they most certainly were!

"Ping!"  The sound made by an M-1 Rifle when ejecting the 8-round enbloc clip!

Mix-master 

Stay well and safe, Pards!

18 hours ago, Trailrider #896 said:

Double-breasted (man's suit coat that lapped over the other side)

Last time I went to buy a suit I was angry they didn't have any double breasted.  I had to buy one right away for a funeral but I swore my next one would be double breasted again even if I had to get it custom made. 

I guess I should get on that now that I've been reminded. 

Archived