Dial the number

That new album is great

It's a quarter to nine

my clutch is shot

Got any more???

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's a quarter call someone who cares.

Vinyl has been making a comeback so some young folks will understand broken records and great albums.

11 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

You sound like a broken record

Dial the number

That new album is great

It's a quarter to nine

my clutch is shot

Got any more???

19 minutes ago, Tyrel Cody said:

Here's a quarter call someone who cares.

Vinyl has been making a comeback so some young folks will understand broken records and great albums.

True but the vinyl comeback is not as big as you would think. Most young folks download tunes on their phones! My son' is into vinyl big time but he's a musician and he's also 50 years old!

“Stick shift”

A young man at O’Reilly’s asked me what that meant when I was telling my grandson about my old Ford truck. 

“Drop a dime” on someone

“Commie Pinko”

”Yellow Journalism”

”Cordless Phone” My grandson wondered what I was talking about when I said this. 

“Test Pattern”

Why 7-11’s are called 711s. They were unique because they were open from 7am to 11pm years ago. 

39 minutes ago, Ramblin Gambler said:

Even a lot of old people don't get "Toe the line"

Comes from boxing when the rounds lasted until someone was knocked down and were unlimited.  The fight continued as long as both boxers could step on their lines. 

They had very different rules  for boxing all the way up to the mid to late 19th century.

No timed rounds.   A round ended when anything except the soles of the fighter's feet touched the floor.  one punch knockdown ended a round.  On the other hand, they could go for 20 minutes straight, too. 

The downed fighter got one minute to 'toe the line' or 'toe the scratch'.  If he didn't,  he lost.  Fights of over 100 rounds weren't unheard of.

Backheeling and hip tosses were once legal. 

The tradition of inspecting the hands and nails of fighters right before they enter the ring comes from some of the dirty tricks of the era like sharpenong long thumbnails so it could cut an opponent.

It wasn't unusual for the ref to be armed in the ring to discourage the crowd from rushing the ring.  Wyatt Earp got a lot of work after leaving Tombstone as a referee because his reputation deterred interference with the fight.

1 hour ago, Tequila Shooter said:

Age in music:

45’s  

vinyl

8 track tapes

cassette tapes  

CD’s.

digital music file  

streaming.

As a youngster I listened to a few of the old 78s. Haven't got to digital yet , don't even know what streaming is.

Rex :D low tech :P

I was teaching a class of new service technicians last week and said, "You don't want to lick the calf twice". I thought I was headed for a trip to HR before I could get them to comprehend that one.

1 hour ago, Rex M Rugers #6621 said:

As a youngster I listened to a few of the old 78s. Haven't got to digital yet , don't even know what streaming is.

Rex :D low tech :P

When I was a kid, my Dad bought a new stereo setup that had the record player, the tuner and an 8 track tape player in a large console box. His collection of LPs was stored in the thing, the majority of older records were then relegated to the basement, which include a large hard sided box with 45's and then two boxes of 78's. That record player would play the 78's and I would occasionally bring them upstairs just to be able to play the 78's. At the time, I thought that faster was cooler and wondered why the newer stuff was 33 rpm...didn't occur to me at the time that you could only have a single song on the side of those hard and brittle shellac based records.

6 minutes ago, Injun Ryder, SASS #36201L said:

"Better dead than red".:ph34r:

I like it better your way but then it all depends upon your perspective and where you live.;)

Bought it, "Lock, Stock and barrel."

He's just a "A flash in the pan."

Keep your powder Dry!

Don't go off half cocked!

20 minutes ago, Badger Mountain Charlie SASS #43172 said:

Eat that! the starving kids in China would love to have that to eat. 

My Mother talking about liver or spinach. 

I was just going to use that one!!:lol:

My mother used that all the time!!

Close the door, were you born in a barn?

8 minutes ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

How about the three balls over pawn shop doors.  Anyone remember them and if do have you any idea what they represented?

I remember them, but didn't know this:

"Three gold balls suspended from a bar, the pawnbrokers symbol, were  first placed in front of Lombard bankers homes during the Middle Ages. Most people could not read but they knew that three gold balls was a place to borrow money. The Italian province of Lombardy is where pawn shop banking originated. The three gold balls are part of the coat of arms of the Medici banking family of Florence, Italy.  According to legend it is atributed to Saint Nicholas, who anonymously delivered three bags of gold to a friend so his three daughters could be married after being ransomed. Today in images and paintings of Saint Nicholas he is often seen bearing three bags of gold. This benevolent gesture has made him the patron saint of pawnbrokers."

Archived