SASS Wire Forum

45.70 flesh wound

Trigger Mike

Watching the end of The Virginian Incident at Diablo crossing.  An old man was shot in the leg by a calvary carbine.  Before medical attention he hobbled over to Trampas and sat down, after a  bandage he hobbled off using a cane.   No wonder we lost at Big Horn, we used weak rifles.  

Just goes to show, A poor hit even with a big gun is still a poor hit         GW

Uh...it’s TV...the only place a cop gets shot in the shoulder and it hits no bone and 3 days later (just after a commercial break) he loses the sling because it cramps his style. 

In the movies they always get hit in the love handle area...Yeah, it’s always “a through and through”. :blink: Stupid $&@#ing term...

Pat, you have to admit that love handle target is pretty large on some of us.     I resemble that remark        GW

But if he lived today you don’t think he would have been up for some morphine and pretty nurses looking  after him? ;)

13 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Uh...it’s TV...the only place a cop gets shot in the shoulder and it hits no bone and 3 days later (just after a commercial break) he loses the sling because it cramps his style. 

In the movies they always get hit in the love handle area...Yeah, it’s always “a through and through”. :blink: Stupid $&@#ing term...

Few people realize just how high into the shoulder area the lungs go! There's also the subclavian artery, and the clavicle.  A hit in any of these areas can be very serious.  In the opening scenes of "Saving Private Ryan", on Omaha Beach, I recall a medic trying to clamp off the subclavian which was spurting blood (great special effects).  Unfortunately, the wounded soldier is hit with a morter or something that blows him in half!  :blink:

I was also watching an episode of "Rawhide" where the badguy is hiding behind a board fence.  Wishbone is shooting at him and I think hits the board a couple of times.  A .45 or .44-40 slug would go right through a 3/4" thick wooden board.  Even one of those tables that somebody tips over to hide behind might not stop a pistol bullet.  So much for Hollyweird! 

Stay well and safe, Pards!

I wonder how writers would pose these "Just a flesh wound" tales if THEY ever got wounded.

Hint: It really smarts!

I've had #4 buck ricochet off the back of my legs without breaking the skin, even that HURTS!

10 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

But if he lived today you don’t think he would have been up for some morphine and pretty nurses looking  after him? ;)

Right before he stole their cars. 

Pegleg was one of the leaders of one of the biggest horse thievery rings in Western history.

Archived