SASS Wire Forum

Reloading 38 spl. question

Snake-eye, SASS#45097

I shoot a ‘73 in 357 using mostly 38’s that are 125 gr TCFP. They work very well. My question is regarding 125 gr RNFP with short heads above the crimp grove. They are too short for the ‘73. If the crimp is placed in the lube grove they would work well. Is there any disadvantage to doing that?

What they said. Basically you should have at least the diameter of the Bullet in the case. 

As Blackfoot clarified.  The concern with the bullet is to avoid having the bullet recede into the case, thus shortening the cartridge. 

So crimping at the top of the lube groove gives very strong resistance to any compressive forces on the cartridge.

Generally, the only force to expand the length is being fired from the case and that is the purpose of it being fired. :D

(I suppose that dropping the gun onto the muzzle may possibly cause the length to increase but I doubt it.  If the gun was dropped that badly, you should carefully check the gun for safety anyway.)

4 hours ago, Marshall Matt Dillon said:

I have a rossi that cycles .357 perfectly, but balks a little at 38spec. I will try this.

Yes I had that same problem with a .357 Rossi rifle I once owned. Never could get it to reliably feed 38 special, but then I didn't want to buy heavier/longer bullets just for it as I use 125 or 130 in everything else. I eventually traded it in.

4 hours ago, Marshall Matt Dillon said:

I have a rossi that cycles .357 perfectly, but balks a little at 38spec. I will try this.

Same here on my Rossi, for it to be reliable with .38s had to use at least a 140 grn TC but 158 grn SWC worked much better

In the 92s that I had I too preferred a longer OAL, but I found that getting it by using a heavier/longer bullet gave me the best results. The added weight forward helped to keep the nose down and greatly improved the stove piping problem that I was having. 

Snakebite 

From Palo Verde's web site, he is the premier "73 mechanic here in AZ:

"The ’73 will likely lever smoother and your Marlin or Rossi will likely feed better. Personally, I like around 1.530 in a .357 case with a broad-pointed RNFP bullet. The narrow pointed, truncated 105g bullet in a .38 case can be problematic in some rifles if loaded to .38 spl OAL. Some Marlins prefer around 1.510”OAL, others like up to 1.570”. Most Rossi’s like around the same length. Marlins can be very sensitive about the over-all length and, reportedly, sometimes the shape of the bullet."

TB

On 3/5/2021 at 9:31 AM, Marshall Matt Dillon said:

My Rossi 92, .357 was sensitive to OAL.. If to short it hung -up.

Archived