SASS Wire Forum

Second COVID-19 vaccination shot question????

Do you have to wait 15 minutes after one's second COVID-19 vaccination shot?

Seems if one didn't have an allergic reaction from the first shot (mine was Moderna), one wouldn't have one after the second.

I wonder, has anybody had an allergic reaction after the second shot??

:huh:

Nope.  Wait 15 minutes then back home. Have a big bowl of fried Rice and all is well.  I had no problem.  There have been some reports of reactions but I believe they are quite rare.  I had none - first or second.  My wife (Chinese extraction) got her first one today - her reaction was an intense desire for a hamburger from Freddy's. :-)  But she said, in a half hour you are hungry again. ;-)

STL Suomi

The wife & I had our 2nd Moderna vaccine administered 2/25.  The wait was the same as that after the 1st, 5 minutes.  Both our reactions were more intense than after the 1st; which was 3 days of a sore arm.  The 2nd shot reaction included flu like symptoms for 2-3 days.  Mine included aches & fatigue.  The misses also included nausea.

Daughter in law in Az. who’s a nurse got the first one and was sick with flu like symptoms for a couple of days and she had no reaction to the second one given on Monday.

Got my 2nd one Monday @12:30. About 2 hours later, I started feeling a little off. That evening, I got sick. Was still a little off Tuesday. My arm was sore for 3 days. I didn't really wait 15 Minutes.

Wife got 2 Moderna shots.  First one made her arm sore for a day. Second one, nothing. Both times made her wait 15 minutes.  I got both mine from VA, Pfizer.  First one arm was slightly sore until the next day...not as bad as the flu shot.  First time they made me wait 15 minutes.  Second shot they said I could leave after 10, but I waited the full 15...no reaction either time.  Just lucky, I guess.  Hopefully, no reaction action doesn't mean the shots didn't take.  Both of us have reached the two-week mark where "they" say we are about 95% protected.  Hope so.

Stay well and safe, Pards! 

Had to wait the 15 minutes at VA on the second shot. The next day I felt like I had been run over by a truck and no energy. No fever or sickness, just exhausted. After a few hours was gone.

10 minutes ago, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

I'm old enough to get the shots by anyone's calendar. :blush: I will continue to read the reports here, as I trust youse guyz to tell the truth.

Allie do you think these cowboys would do you wrong....We are the most honest people around....

It is a cakewalk for them shots....

If you believe that, I have seashore property in Las  Vegas for sale....

Texas Lizard

Missus and I have had 2 Pfizer vaccinations.   Mild soreness at the injection site the next day, then no other reactions or symptoms.  Worth the risk I think.

I can add that of the 21 officers on my department only two of us had a bad experience with the second dose, five did not get vaccinated because they had the Covid and need to wait, and two decided not to get vaccinated. 

Made me wait 15 for both Moderna shots.  First shot, nothing.  Second shot, twelve hours later, I had everything they said you might get except dead.  At one point I was kinda hoping for that.  24 hours later fine, no problem.

9 hours ago, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

I'm old enough to get the shots by anyone's calendar. :blush: I will continue to read the reports here, as I trust youse guyz to tell the truth.

Its OK Siss get it done.

They asked everyone to wait 15 min. after both shots. I got the Moderna and arm sore 1 day after 1st and 3 days after 2nd.  The next day after second got real tired after eating lunch and took a nap for about and hour. After that had a low grade fever and felt off the rest of the day. Next day OK except sore arm. Everyone reacts differently.

14 hours ago, J.D. Daily said:

The wife & I had our 2nd Moderna vaccine administered 2/25.  The wait was the same as that after the 1st, 5 minutes.  Both our reactions were more intense than after the 1st; which was 3 days of a sore arm.  The 2nd shot reaction included flu like symptoms for 2-3 days.  Mine included aches & fatigue.  The misses also included nausea.

We have several friends who've had the similar reactions to the second Moderna shot.  One has had flue like symptoms for a week with a temp near 100.  Not dangerous, but not fun.

Personally, I'm glad that the J&J vaccine is finally out.  One shot and nearly the same efficacy.  It's a viral vector rather than an mRNA vaccine.  It's an older, proven technology that will be what most of the world gets because its distribution is not extreme cold chain dependent like the mRNA vaccines.  The local hospital had it for distribution the day after it was approved.  Belle and I are on the list for the J&J and will get it when we're called.

9 hours ago, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

With the addition of the J&J vaccine, there are lots of options based on your how your body reacts to the specific ingredients and vaccine type.  This virus is a nuisance for the young, but it's dangerous for those over 65 and anyone with a comorbidity risk.

"Researchers found that the age-specific infection fatality rate was extremely low among children and young adults, measuring 0.002% at age 10 and 0.01% at 25. However, the rate progressively increased with age, growing from 0.4% at 55 to around 15% at 85."

That's a significant change in the mortality rate from 55 to 85 that, for me, is worth even a week of discomfort to mitigate or eliminate.

This morning (10:00 am), the wife and I got our second shot (Moderna).  We had to again wait the 15 minutes.

As of this evening, just like the first shot, no side effects and injected arm feels just fine. 

Get the shot. As others have said the side effects vary widely but it is still better than getting covid.

Wife and had our two doses of phizer. He side effects were worse than mine but still worth it.

I'm still trying to get the darn thing! It's ridiculous! I'm way beyond the age to get it! I'm signed up at 4 different places at least!

4 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

I'm still trying to get the darn thing! It's ridiculous! I'm way beyond the age to get it! I'm signed up at 4 different places at least!

Do you have Medicare?  Any supplemental coverage?

I found out the hard way that if you do have supplemental coverage, it'll suck you down the gopher hole with ancillary BS requirements (policy group number, personal policy number, BIN number, PCN number, upload pictures of front and back of insurance care, etc).  Third time, I just clicked the "Medicare" box and did NOT indicate that I had anything else, and in a couple of minutes had my appointment.

On the sore arm:  You may significantly reduce the "sore arm effect" by totally relaxing the muscles in your arm receiving the injection, even to the point of supporting it with your off hand.  ;)

1 minute ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

Do you have Medicare?  Any supplemental coverage?

I found out the hard way that if you do have supplemental coverage, it'll suck you down the gopher hole with ancillary BS requirements (policy group number, personal policy number, BIN number, PCN number, upload pictures of front and back of insurance care, etc).  Third time, I just clicked the "Medicare" box and did NOT indicate that I had anything else, and in a couple of minutes had my appointment.

On the sore arm:  You may significantly reduce the "sore arm effect" by totally relaxing the muscles in your arm receiving the injection, even to the point of supporting it with your off hand.  ;)

Only one asked about health coverage and I said Medicare, still nothing. The others just asked for name, address, age etc. Only one sends me a text every week saying I'm still on their list and they will notify me. 4 weeks now!

The 15 minute wait after the injection is a normal one for vaccines. It's in case you have an allergic reaction to the shot. For the mass Covid shots they usually have an EMT and an ambulance on standby. I get my flu shots at Walgreens and they request that I sit in their waiting area for a while after the shot. Don't want someone getting into a car after a shot and conking out.

Ozark Belle and I got the J&J vaccine yesterday afternoon.  Zero side effects for both of us.  

I wasn't surprised by that since it's a one shot and done vaccine based on the older, proven viral vector (think flu shot) construct rather than mRNA.  If needed, I was prepared to wait for the J&J for that reason.  Thankfully our region of Missouri got the J&J the day after it was approved and is sprinting through the vaccination process.  We now have over 20% of residents vaccinated and are on a path to have everyone who wants a vaccination covered by the end of April.

On 3/4/2021 at 8:23 PM, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

youse guyz?

I didn't know youse was from St. Louis?

Just got my first appointment for shot #1,  Tuesday Mar 16, booked second appointment for Tuesday April 13. It’s about 20 minutes away. 

One of my friends had a reaction, after the second shot. 

He had a heart attack, and died.

How soon after the second shot did this happen? An hour or so. 

No proof, that has been released, or admitted to, that the second shot contributed to this. 

Probably just a coincidence.

As with anything, in this life, you place your bet, you take your chances. 

On 3/4/2021 at 9:23 PM, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

Howdy Allie... :wub:

I got my 1st shot today (Friday).   Needles never both me nor rarely sting.

BUT... the Moderna shot this morning stung for about 10 seconds while being stuck with the needle.

But after that, nothing (so far)

Here it is about 2 hours later and I feel NO soreness nor problems, nor problems, nor problems, nor problems,

nor problems...... :lol:

Take care

..........Widder

Archived