SASS Wire Forum

Fruit trees

Alpo

Theoretically. Everywhere there's a flower, it's supposed to grow a fruit. Right?

1640089486_IMG_20210303_1542482662.thumb.jpg.847c7096abeaa129102c86faeb6a6e7f.jpg

These people had a big pear tree. Then along came the hurricane. Busted It all to hell. And they pruned off the broken branches.

That was October of 18. And while the tree leafed out after that, this is the first year I've seen flowers.

And boy-howdy, does it have flowers.

You reckon they all gonna be pears?

1 minute ago, Alpo said:

Theoretically. Everywhere there's a flower, it's supposed to grow a fruit. Right?

1640089486_IMG_20210303_1542482662.thumb.jpg.847c7096abeaa129102c86faeb6a6e7f.jpg

These people had a big pear tree. Then along came the hurricane. Busted It all to hell. And they pruned off the broken branches.

That was October of 18. And while the tree leafed out after that, this is the first year I've seen flowers.

I recon. 

3 minutes ago, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

flowers seem so prolific and close together.

You got that right. From the street, if I didn't know it was a pear tree, it almost looks like a bridal wreath.

1fbe8961fcb3d563e1e37625117c8b36.jpg

It depends.  Is it a fruiting or an ornamental tree?  Some bloom all to heck and that is all they do, bred to not set fruit.  Is it self pollinating, or does it need a cultivar?  If so, is there a cultivar nearby?  Say it's fruiting and self-pollinating.  Some of the blossoms, I don't know the percentage, will be male flowers that will not produce fruit.  My horseback guestimate is that about 1/3 to 1/2 of the blossoms might set fruit. 

When I was growing up we had three apricots, a peach, and a nectarine.  Every year all were full of blossoms, and maybe a third of them set fruit.  

3 hours ago, Alpo said:

Do the flowers smell awful? Then it is probably ornamental.

I don't know what they smell like. I don't generally make it a habit of walking up next to people's houses. But in the years before the hurricane that tree had pears. I used to think about stealing some. Never did, but I thought about it a lot.

Each flower is an opportunity to be pollinated by bees, birds or wind.  Any flower not pollinated will not become a fruit.  Some tree species can be pollinated with pollen from itself but many require cross-pollination (pollen from other trees).

It looks like an ornamental pear tree to me. We have a couple of them and when they are blooming they’re beautiful but when they shed the white petals they cover the patio like snow. We’ve had them for 20 years or so and never had any pears. Our apricot tree is another story. It’ll be loaded with fruit in about a month or so.

7 hours ago, Michigan Slim said:

I recon. 

Ranger was in reponse to the I RECON as in Recon Ranger ...

Like those trained at Fort Bragg NC way back in the Dark ages ,,, When most were more enlightened than the young of today .

Jabez Cowboy 

12 hours ago, Alpo said:

I don't know what they smell like. I don't generally make it a habit of walking up next to people's houses. But in the years before the hurricane that tree had pears. I used to think about stealing some. Never did, but I thought about it a lot.

When I had a pear tree I couldn't give them away fast enough. The ground would be covered with pears and bees. Ask and you shall receive.

Archived