Jump to content
SASS Wire Forum

Recommended Posts

Wish I could help ya but I'm an hour away so.....  

  • Haha 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Michigan Slim said:

Wish I could help ya but I'm an hour away so.....  

Yeah, yeah...

We are only 20 minutes from Founders Ranch!

We still pulled the rig out and camped on range!!!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Singin' Sue 71615 said:

Yeah, yeah...

We are only 20 minutes from Founders Ranch!

We still pulled the rig out and camped on range!!!

you are a bit farther away than that usually...

  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

When using Google maps after putting in the directions click on the word options and select No tolls.

 

It will give you a route options without tolls.  States with tolls are OK and KS

 

If you take I 40/I 44; Take I 40 all the way to Ft Smith, Then go north on I49/US71 to I44.

 

PS driving through St Louis will suck

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Sue, You want some toll roads to really deplore, try going  north through Chicago. The wife and I did it during rush hour in the afternoon. Rough as a cob and toll booths about every quarter to half mile. I  never want to go through there again:(:angry::blush:

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Four-Eyed Buck,SASS #14795 said:

Sue, You want some toll roads to really deplore, try going  north through Chicago. The wife and I did it during rush hour in the afternoon. Rough as a cob and toll booths about every quarter to half mile. I  never want to go through there again:(:angry::blush:

Yup...I do not want to do ANY.

Will drive the extra hours to miss them.

The one route sends us up through Kansas and almost circle 8's in Missouri...but, no tolls!

Link to post
Share on other sites

If you have the time to budget, then my recommendation is to map out a route using state highways.

 

It's not as fast and the distance may be longer, but you'll have more options to stop at and take breaks plus you'll see more of this great nation.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

 

 

PS driving through St Louis will suck

 

Timing and route always make a difference. But from the east to avoid most of the st louis traffic first avoid rush hour and route to take from i70 west to i270 to 370 back onto i70. That is one of the routes to avoid downtown and all of the crazy shenanigans that entails. i64 will take you south and merge with i70 at Wentzville near exit 209 iirc. It is THROUGH st louis but major route and rebuilt 10 yrs ago or so. Better roads than 70 is stl

 

I don't recall the mile markers right now but that is good highway that bypasses north of the actual city.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

The PA turnpike across the southern part of the state. Had to pay money just to dodge huge potholes. Wasn't easy even on a motorcycle with a trailer. Couldn't believe you actually had to pay for such torture!

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Singin' Sue 71615 said:

Edward RS Canby...this was a route that stays clear of tolls...and shows under an hour slower.

I agree with others that Google can show toll-free routes.  Safe travels to EOT.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Edward R S Canby, SASS#59971 said:

I agree with others that Google can show toll-free routes.  Safe travels to EOT.  

This was through Google.:rolleyes:

Be safe as well.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Avoid US 69 between McAllester and the Oklahoma state line at all costs. It will beat the tires right off your truck or motorhome.  

  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Avoid US 69 between McAllester and the Oklahoma state line at all costs. It will beat the tires right off your truck or motorhome.  

Thanks for that!

I am going to put Google Maps and my Atlas to work, and get a really good plan going.

Note, I said plan!!!;)

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Avoid US 69 between McAllester and the Oklahoma state line at all costs. It will beat the tires right off your truck or motorhome.  

It shows us going 40 to 54...to 70....to 69 AFTER Indianapolois(?)....

Pretty paralell to the tolls...I just hope the Kansas winds are slow in June!

Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Singin' Sue 71615 said:

It shows us going 40 to 54...to 70....to 69 AFTER Indianapolois(?)....

Pretty paralell to the tolls...I just hope the Kansas winds are slow in June!

 

US 69 in Kansas wasn't a bad road but in Oklahoma it was nothing but potholes and broken pavement.

 

I69 in Indiana is an entirely different road.

 

 

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

 

US 69 in Kansas wasn't a bad road but in Oklahoma it was nothing but potholes and broken pavement.

 

I69 in Indiana is an entirely different road.

 

 

 

That tends to be the route I am liking best...good to know.

Link to post
Share on other sites

It was July of ‘91 or ‘92. I’d been to Capron, Illinois, about 60 miles west of Chitown. They had a couple of annual bike races there. I’d been in the 604 mile qualifier for RAAM, The Race across America. My plan was to take the interstate through Chicago, swing up through Michigan and enter Canada through Detroit, cut across Ontario and reenter USA in Vermont.

 

I had a Yakima bike rack on the roof with a couple bikes worth the price of some engraved Colts. I pulled up to a toll and popped a handful of quarters into the basket.  The tools there had an arm with a yellow wooden board that would block your way until appropriate coinage had been offered to the political machine.

 

I tossed my legal tender, saw the arm go up and proceeded on my way. It was summer, my window was open, I heard the obvious sound of wood hitting pavement. The arm had not gone up enough to clear the arm of my Yakima rack. One look in my rear view mirror told me this was not a place to stop and explain.  Chicagoans were flooring it to get through the free toll.

 

footnote: Yeah, I qualified a couple times.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I hate toll roads like I hate to pay for parking.  When you're towing a camper with double axels, they actually charge twice as much as a passenger car.  South Carolina has a toll road that charges you when you get on and again when you get off.  I'll not go that way again.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Badlands Bob #61228 said:

I hate toll roads like I hate to pay for parking.  When you're towing a camper with double axels, they actually charge twice as much as a passenger car.  South Carolina has a toll road that charges you when you get on and again when you get off.  I'll not go that way again.

That is the thing. Charge by axle.

Among other things...

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.