SASS Wire Forum

Here's a bad stage idea!

El CupAJoe

1 large, semi distant target, 10 shots rifle, 10 shots pistol.  middle third of the target is a reactive no hit zone... hits to the zone release a shotgun flier that must be hit to not qualify as a second miss... 

Here's a Stage that that I shot at a Match .... once.........

Pistols staged on a table next to the Bathtub.

Rifle & Shotgun staged in the outhouse.

Shooter starts sitting in the Tub with a brush in hand.

At the Buzzer shooter drops the Brush, and shoots 10 pistol shots from the Tub.

Then out of the Tub move to the Outhouse for the Rifle & finish up with the Shotgun.

Anybody see whats about to happen.... :rolleyes:

It went fine until a Really Tall Shooter that sorta hung out of the Tub a bit

Shot a Hole in his Boot.... luckily it didn't take his Toe completely off.

I haven't seen him in years, but I bet he still walks with a Limp ...... 

Now who was it that said the "Early Days" of SASS were more fun <_<

I remember a stage at Mule camp I think it was 2002 when one of the stages had a string of 4 targets and one of them you had to miss! That kinda messed up a lot of folks me included!:lol:

11 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

I remember a stage at Mule camp I think it was 2002 when one of the stages had a string of 4 targets and one of them you had to miss! That kinda messed up a lot of folks me included!:lol:

So if you didn't miss one, was it a P? 'Cuz it would not make sense to be a miss if you hit it...

1 hour ago, John Kloehr said:

So if you didn't miss one, was it a P? 'Cuz it would not make sense to be a miss if you hit it...

No-Shoot (N/S) targets are usually scored by assessing a time penalty...5-10 seconds.
That's how I got 25 seconds for a single shot at a long ago "True Grit" match.

A whole herd of N/S "steer head" targets (including a few cardboard ones taped to KDs).
Targets were rustlers interspersed among the cattle...10-second penalty for hitting a steer.
Rifles (20 shots) were fired from the back of a loosely sprung "horse" prop.

I nicked the horn on a steel steer head (10 seconds), missing the intended target (5-seconds)

The bullet went on to KD another steer (10 seconds).

4 hours ago, PaleWolf Brunelle, #2495L said:

What were ya smokin' (or drinkin') when you came up with THAT?  :wacko:

Too much coffee not enough breakfast!  Had two kids decide not to sleep through the night and crawl in bed with us

1 hour ago, Tom Bullweed said:

Sounds like only the first shot in the one-shot zone has a penalty.

depends on how evil your prop designer is...

Stages like this are the reasons that the "good old days" weren't quite as good as folks remember.

I, for one, don't miss...

Digging shotgun shells out of a bag of beans.

Shooting while bouncing on bedsprings.

Shooting from bathtubs.

Moving from the outhouse with a pair of long johns down around your ankles.

Deliberate miss targets.

Firing a "warning" shot into the back berm.

I always tried to do it myself and sincerely appreciate match directors that write matches with an eye on how best NOT to mess with your shooters.

10 hours ago, John Kloehr said:

I believe it was counted as +5 seconds. It was 18 years ago I can’t remember exactly.

12 hours ago, John Kloehr said:

10 hours ago, PaleWolf Brunelle, #2495L said:

No-Shoot (N/S) targets are usually scored by assessing a time penalty...5-10 seconds.

1 hour ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

I believe it was counted as +5 seconds. It was 18 years ago I can’t remember exactly.

I meant it as a humorous question (based on the instruction "one of the stages had a string of 4 targets and one of them you had to miss", but appreciate both of you taking it seriously.

8 minutes ago, John Kloehr said:

I meant it as a humorous question (based on the instruction "one of the stages had a string of 4 targets and one of them you had to miss", but appreciate both of you taking it seriously.

I wasn't sure if you were serious or not :D It was actually a good question though!;)

17 hours ago, El CupAJoe said:

1 large, semi distant target, 10 shots rifle, 10 shots pistol.  middle third of the target is a reactive no hit zone... hits to the zone release a shotgun flier that must be hit to not qualify as a second miss... 

time to pull out the 32s with mousefart loads so even if I hit the center zone it won't activate the flyer. 

Also, that launcher better throw it waaaaaaaaay up in the air. 

27 minutes ago, Ramblin Gambler said:

time to pull out the 32s with mousefart loads so even if I hit the center zone it won't activate the flyer. 

Also, that launcher better throw it waaaaaaaaay up in the air. 

I was kinda thinking a hole in the middle of a target with a Chrono placed behind it, when the chrono registers a shot it releases a trap thrower located near the shooters position, plenty of flight time, but it keeps getting farther away the longer you wait...

14 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

I remember that stage.  I've even used that idea a time or two.

15 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

I've shot stages with no hit targets. At DDCT they are usually called hostages and are attached to the hit targets. Or, in an array, they are painted another color (white) and are easy to not hit.

As to the OP, that would be a nightmare; or, someone who never wanted to write scenarios again.

Sometimes it's a fine line between keeping your shooters interested with good stages and going over the line with P traps, without the same old Nevada Sweep, 10-10-4+ stages. I started writing stages because we were doing the same things month after month. Do I go a little overboard sometimes? Sure, just ask my shooters (hush, Max). I've even had shooters say they won't come back because they had two Ps over an 8 stage annual match. I'm sorry for that, I really am, but I won't write the same, no-mind stages over and over. I am constantly looking at others' stages and trying new things. I get good comments and I get the "side eye" sometimes and if I see something I write causes a high P count, I won't use it again. I always post my stages on our website and I invite anyone who wants to use or just take a look at them. I use others' stages sometimes or aspects from them and I try to give credit as well. Shake things up, make your stages fun, but know, your shooters will "get a rope" if ya get too crazy.  :D Have fun!

35 minutes ago, The Rainmaker, SASS #11631 said:

Sometimes it's a fine line between keeping your shooters interested with good stages and going over the line with P traps, without the same old Nevada Sweep, 10-10-4+ stages. I started writing stages because we were doing the same things month after month. Do I go a little overboard sometimes? Sure, just ask my shooters (hush, Max). I've even had shooters say they won't come back because they had two Ps over an 8 stage annual match. I'm sorry for that, I really am, but I won't write the same, no-mind stages over and over. I am constantly looking at others' stages and trying new things. I get good comments and I get the "side eye" sometimes and if I see something I write causes a high P count, I won't use it again. I always post my stages on our website and I invite anyone who wants to use or just take a look at them. I use others' stages sometimes or aspects from them and I try to give credit as well. Shake things up, make your stages fun, but know, your shooters will "get a rope" if ya get too crazy.  :D Have fun!

You just can't please everyone! I found that out a long time ago. Just write 'em the best you can and hope everyone has some fun!

There's nothing wrong with trying different things.  Everything in moderation, unless of course you tell them in advance that your going to mess with them.  Then they can show up with the right attitude.  

Archived