SASS Wire Forum

Looking for Gunsmith to ream 45-70 to 45-110

Howdy   I know a pard that wants to lenghten the chamber on a 45-70 sharps to 45-110. With a 500 grain bullet case isn't large enough for black powder.  If anyone has done this or know of any gunmith that can  ream out chamber the information would be greatly appreciated.   Thanks Buckey

Pretty simple job, if one really wants to do that.  Gun gets more expensive and painful to shoot!

But Joe Alves at Pioneer Gun Works is up in your neighborhood and might be able to handle that.  Also, Randy Redman in Omak, WA does great barrel work.

http://www.pioneergunworks.com/

https://redmansrifling.com/

I'd trust either to get it just right.

good luck, GJ

Lots of people shoot 45-70 with a 500 grain bullet. What exactly does your buddy say is so wrong that he has to have a longer chamber?

3 hours ago, irish ike, SASS #43615 said:

I shoot a 538 grain Creedmore bullet with 65 grains fo 2f in my 45-70 with 1/8" compression. Shooting it out to 1,000 yards.

A 45-110 is going to hammer the hell out of your shoulder!!!!!!!

My brother shot a 45-110.  It wrecked his shoulder.  The orthopedic surgeon told him the shoulder repair was a one time deal.  It couldn’t be repaired again.

He's right it's hard to get 100 grs' of black in a dinky 45-70 case.  Reaming to 110 length is easy and could easily be a  DYI project reamers can be rented.  Heck, he could even go for a 45-120.  

He could shoot it while standing on a skateboard, with his back against a tree with a large coil spring between his back and the tree.  The skateboard would allow for recoil, and the spring would shove him back into battery! :P

Best is if he leaves it at .45-70!

Stay well and safe, Pards!

I will add my advice to leaving it a 45-70. Years ago I ruined a good High Wall by taking it out in my quest for a flatter shooting Big Bore. The secret is not in getting more powder into the the case.... it is getting the Standard Deviation down as low as possible. 

Snakebite

6 hours ago, Trailrider #896 said:

He could shoot it while standing on a skateboard, with his back against a tree with a large coil spring between his back and the tree.  The skateboard would allow for recoil, and the spring would shove him back into battery! :P

Best is if he leaves it at .45-70!

Stay well and safe, Pards!

With all the afore mentioned equipment supplied by ACME, [paid endorsement from Wile E. Coyote]

You have to consider another challenge.

It is not easy to find .45-110 brass. Buffalo Arms does sell that caliber, when it is not out of stock, but it is not cheap! Star-Line Brass only goes up to .45-100 brass. Bertram may be difficult to find. If you can find a source for .45-120 brass, it can be cut down to .45-110, but, .45-120 brass is also difficult to find. Also, you may, or may not, find a set of dies to reload .45-110. RCBS is out of the specialty die business, so you would have to look elsewhere for dies. I have seen them, here and there, but, right now, a lot of things are simply out of stock.

So...you have to have a source of brass, and a set of dies. If you shoot black powder in them, the brass could last a while, but eventually it will need to be replaced, so you are back to hunting a source of brass. 

There are new rifles, out there, that are chambered for .45-110, and .45-120, but before you purchase one, or re-bore your rifle, you need to research, and see how difficult it would be to get brass. Unless you are able to purchase the loaded cartridges, which are around 100 yankee dollars for 20, you, like as not, will need to reload.

Not too long ago, a certain company had their reproduction Sharps, in .45-120, on sale. I spent a many an hour trying to locate .45-120 brass, to no avail. What I encountered was a lot of out of stock stuff, with them having no idea when they would be back in stock, or they did not offer that caliber at all.

I had to let that idea go, to purchase one. Now, they are not on sale anymore. Life sux, and then you die. 

Something to consider. 

My Two Bits.

W.K. 

Archived