SASS Wire Forum

Rose hips

Alpo

I come across this frequently in literature. Especially historical literature. People are always drinking rose hip tea.

Do rose hips grow on the big showy red flower with the thorns, that you give to your girlfriend to show your affection?

Or is it an entirely different plant that just has a similar name?

If you don't "dead head" the rose, after the petals fall off it will form a seed pod, (which for some reason is called a rose hip).  

They are harvested after the first frost in autumn/winter.   They are supposed to be rich in antioxidants, vitamins, and bunches of "stuff" that are supposed to be good for you.   I ain't never tried 'em, nor know what the tea tastes like.   

The Brits made tea from rose hips in World War II since they could not import citrus fruits as in peace time.  This provided them needed Vitamin C.  I've tasted rose hip tea and found it bland but not bad tasting.  

When I was younger and objected to my dinner, I'd eat them straight off the bush and lichen off the rocks after being sent outside without my supper.  They are preferable to lentils served any way, egg plant parmesan, zucchini casserole and many other gastronomical anathema my mother tried to sustain me with.  (At least to my pre-adolescent taste pallet) 

10 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Rose hips are the fruit of a pollinated rose flower. 

Exactly. Apples, Pears, and Quinces are members of the rose family, and the resemblance of their fruits to a rose hip is apparent when you look.

Archived