SASS Wire Forum

National anthem day

Rye Miles #13621

After circulating as a handbill, the patriotic lyrics were published in a Baltimore newspaper on September 20, 1814. Key’s words were later set to the tune of “To Anacreon in Heaven,” a popular English song. Throughout the 19th century, “The Star-Spangled Banner” was regarded as the national anthem by most branches of the U.S. armed forces and other groups, but it was not until 1916, and the signing of an executive order by President Woodrow Wilson, that it was formally designated as such. In March 1931, Congress passed an act confirming Wilson’s presidential order, and on March 3 President Hoover signed it into law.

Always an honor to be asked to sing it!

I lead it though...always ask for the crowd to join me.

Most memorable was when Brighton Belle became a US Citizen, and was finally 'able' to sing it.

Brought tears to my eyes hearing her behind me.

I have always done it in the tempo and simple way it was written.

3 hours ago, Singin' Sue 71615 said:

Always an honor to be asked to sing it!

I lead it though...always ask for the crowd to join me.

Most memorable was when Brighton Belle became a US Citizen, and was finally 'able' to sing it.

Brought tears to my eyes hearing her behind me.

I have always done it in the tempo and simple way it was written.

I prefer the original version and detest what some so-called singers have done to it.

Tempo should be around 90 beats per minute.  It should be kept simple but strong. The tune isn’t something to take license with and harmonies should be kept close to the root.

If these guidelines can’t be met, get the band to play it!!!

AND PLAY IT STRAIGHT!!!

53 minutes ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

Tempo should be around 90 beats per minute.  It should be kept simple but strong. The tune isn’t something to take license with and harmonies should be kept close to the root.

If these guidelines can’t be met, get the band to play it!!!

AND PLAY IT STRAIGHT!!!

Doing 3 a day, accapella at CAC was challenging! FUN!

Glad everyone could sing.

You should have heard what I was hearing, coming back to me!

Gotta love the U.S.

Our national anthem was written by a POW, inspired by a flag that had been sewn together in a brewery, and set to the tune of a popular tavern song.

Makes me thirsty thinking about it.

As far as style goes -- I'm a bit more open to artists' renditions, providing it's not disrespectful in the artists' hearts. I guess what that means is that if the singer is bringing their best, I'm open to listening. From Jimi Hendrix to Marvin Gaye, Whitney Houston to Madison Rising, a military choir or fans in the bleachers, I care more about it being sung than about how it's sung.

The poem was set to “To Anacreon in Heaven”.  I looked up Anacreon. He was a Greek poet of the fifth century BC. Of course I never met the gent and I doubt that Forty did either if for no other reason than that the Marines never got involved in the beef between Greece and Persia.

Anacreon wrote drinking and erotic poetry and is said to have lived to the age of 85.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anacreon

Archived