SASS Wire Forum

Didn't Use His Turn Signal

Subdeacon Joe

1 minute ago, Wallaby Jack, SASS #44062 said:

........ that's older than me ......  :huh:

Yer a kid.  ^_^

What is this "turn signal" you speak of?   It's not something those of us in the Northeast are familiar with....

In Alaska Aircraft have the right of way on public hi ways.   There is lots of signage to remind the out of towners of that fact. 

That's just way too cool!! "Honey, I'm going to take  the plane down to the store for milk" !

22 hours ago, Wallaby Jack, SASS #44062 said:

...... come to think on it ........ didn't BMW make aero engines in the past 80 or so years ?

I have seen it in print that the BMW logo is a 4 bladed prop spinning.

On 3/3/2021 at 4:37 AM, Tequila Shooter said:

I thought he stopped for gas :D

Curious... do some Alaskan service stations have avgas??  Mogas not recommended for aeroplanes...  :rolleyes:

1 hour ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

Curious... do some Alaskan service stations have avgas??  Mogas not recommended for aeroplanes...  :rolleyes:

Got me, but who knows in Alaska.

Since they had hoses long enough to reach and it appears to be a common plane stop, I'm thinkin' they've got AV gas.

10 hours ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

From the second video, it looks like he just used regular 87 octane. 

image.png.821d6becf98772ed028a18d3822e28cb.png

Wow, you'd think they'd at least use premium. I would be worried about water in the fuel. It's really hard to pull over up there if things go wonky.

13 hours ago, Ramblin Gambler said:

There isn't an additive to make it usable? 

No, it’s a separate tightly controlled refining process. Avgas is 100 Octane LL (low lead). 

Some engines can be converted to run on 87 octane auto gas, but don’t develop the power of the others. 

AvGas typically goes through a fuel water separator before going into your tank.

A few aircraft manufacturers have certified their engines to operate on 87 octane unleaded auto fuel as long as it does not contain ethanol. Special additives are added to the oil and sometimes the fuel.

Archived