SASS Wire Forum

Wrasslin

Chief Rick

I'll admit that when I was younger (much younger) I loved to watch it.  Mid South Wrestling was it in our area.

Cowboy Bill Watts, The Junkyard Dog, One-Man Gang, Hacksaw Butch Reed, Hacksaw Jim Duggan, Ted DiBiase and a whole lot more.

Now I'm stuck with AFN (Armed Forces Network) and there are two sports channels.

WWE gets as much air time as NHL and NBA!  Being AFN, I also get multiple viewings of the same program.  

This stuff is worse than any soap opera on TV today.  It seems like over 90 minutes of a 120 minute program is talking (VERY bad acting).

And there are no fans.  BUT, there are TV monitors on the backside of the ring broadcasting people "watching".  Do people actually PAY to have their face on a TV monitor at one of these events?

3 minutes ago, Singin' Sue 71615 said:

Now wait...you put 'wrasslin'...

That has a whole seperate meaning than 'wreslin':blush:

Same thing - different dialect.;):lol:

We had Northwest Wrestling on a Tri-Cities, WA, station.  I remember Fritz von Goring saying, at the end of each interview, "Remember, win if you can, lose if you must, but always cheat."  In those days, kids learned real morality from sports heros.  

When I was a kid my Dad watched “Studio Wrestling” on one of the Pittsburgh TV stations. My Dad’s favorite wrestler was Bruno Samartino. He got angry at me one day because I said it was “fake”. I wasn’t allowed to ok watch with him any more. I was heart broken and devastated (sarcasm)

I never watched much until I got in the Navy and we had a bunch of pro wrestling video tapes on my ship. When you cruising around in circles for weeks at a time pro wrestling ain’t so bad as entertainment. 

I haven’t watched much at all since. I will say that whenever Rowdy Roddy Piper was on I definitely watched then. I liked him. Rest In Peace, Mr Piper. 

Wife and I watched Hulk Hogan bring wrestling into the mainstream. Loved watching it till they started spending more time yacking than wrestling. Finally gave it up when Brother Love got all the air time. 

A friend of mine was a very big fan of pro wrestling. One day he is playing trivial pursuit, and he is winning. He gets to the center of the board.

Now for those that don't know the game, there are cards with several different categories of questions on it. Each category has a different color, and the spot you landed on also is colored. So if you landed on a red space they asked you the red question on the card. But when you got to the center - the winning spot - everybody else could look at the card and decide which of the six questions they wanted to ask you.

His sister pointed to one, and said to ask him that one. "He is terrible with geography." And they all agreed he was terrible with geography, so they asked him. WHAT IS THE CAPITAL OF OUTER MONGOLIA?

He replied "Ulan Bator".

He was right. How in the world could he possibly get that one right?!??

"That's where the Mongolian Stomper comes from."

You fellers ain't seen nothing till you've seen Ron Wright and all his antics.   He was from Kingsport, TN. and

'wrassled' in the Knoxville, Kingsport, Johnson City area.

Get on YouTube and watch some of his antics.

I watched many of the other 'wrasslin' businesses, even Jerry 'The King' Lawler out of Memphis.   

But NOBODY, and I mean nobody, could match the antics of Ron Wright.

TRUE..... todays programs suck.   The beauty queens are terrible and I don't know anyone who sits around

admiring them for their beauty.  And the steroid muscle heads are even worse.

EDIT:   Alpo, the Mongolian Stomper lived and wrassled here in E.TN.   He was a deputy in the Knox County

Sheriff's Department.

He and Ron Wright put on some fantastic shows back in their day.

..........Widder

Around central Florida, it was Championship Wrestling From Florida with Gordon Solie. The main players were the Briscoe's, Dusty Rhodes, Buddy Colt & friends, Rick Flair and friends, The Funk brothers and a bunch of others. As a side note, Hulk Hogan started out in Tampa as one of the guys that got "beat up" every week. His name then was Terry Hogan. A lot of them guys still live near me and others are scattered throughout Florida.

The last time I happened on tv wrasslin, I thought it was the most clumsy choreographed hack acting that I've seen in a long time. So much so, I could only watch for about 15 minutes.

Anybody old enough to remember "Wild Red Berry"?  Those folks worked every weekend to sold out crowds in the Shrine Mosque in Springfield Missouri. We didn't have TV available so I listened to it on the radio until my Mom found out what I was doing.  She thought it was vulgar and unGodly.  

So, I'd listen to XERF out of Del Rio, Texas.  You had your choice, gospel or country.  A real toss-up.

3 hours ago, Singin' Sue 71615 said:

Now wait...you put 'wrasslin'...

That has a whole seperate meaning than 'wreslin':blush:

I agree. Always wanted to wrassle with Elle May.....:wub:

I can go back to Chief Don Eagle who always lost 2 out of 3. The Wrestlin Hillbilies. Coco Brazil, The Sheik. Just the ones I can remember.  My son, who is now 45,  watched Hulk Hogan, Rowdy Roddy Piper, etal. He was amazed when I told him Hulk Hogan was my age.:rolleyes:

2 minutes ago, Grumpy Old Man said:

I can go back to Chief Don Eagle who always lost 2 out of 3. The Wrestlin Hillbilies. Coco Brazil, The Sheik. Just the ones I can remember.  My son, who is now 45,  watched Hulk Hogan, Rowdy Roddy Piper, etal. He was amazed when I told him Hulk Hogan was my age.:rolleyes:

I've seen Hulk Hogan around here a few times. In 1993, he, his wife and kids were behind me and my ex at the movie theater. We were in line to get tickets for The Fugitive. I asked Hulk "So what are you going to watch"? He said  "I dunno man". His kids, in unison, said "Secret Garden, Secret Garden". He then replied "We're goin' to see The Secret Garden brother". I couldn't help but laugh a little about that. He laughed too.

I've seen him at the range while shooting a Cowboy match. He was there for a defensive pistol class. He used to drive around town in a yellow mustang convertible. It was amusing in a way, his sunburnt bald head would stick up above the windshield with his doo rag on.

3 hours ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

EDIT:   Alpo, the Mongolian Stomper lived and wrassled here in E.TN.   He was a deputy in the Knox County

Sheriff's Department.

Well I won't tell Keith if you don't.

And for a REAL snicker, we'd break out the beer and chips and tune in Mexican "wrestling."  :rolleyes:

The totally serious and astonished looks on the audience's faces was the best part of the show!  ^_^

2 hours ago, Michigan Slim said:

That didn't turn out all that well for the other fellas that tried it. Even Jethro got is ears pinned back.

In the early 80s, I grew up with a mix of WWF and NWA programming.  I couldn't get enough of Tito Santana, Magnificent Muraco, Andre the Giant, Junkyard Dog, Ric Flair, Rowdy Roddy Piper, Superfly Snuka, Road Warriors, George the Animal Steele, Macho Man Randy Savage, Adrian Adonis, Carlos Colon, Wild Samoans, Jimmy 'Mouth of the South' Hart, Greg 'The Hammer' Valentine, Capt Lou Albano, Dusty Rhodes, The Von Erichs, Tommy Rich, Iron Sheik, Bob Backlund, Sgt Slaughter, Harley Race, Steamboat, Jake The Snake Roberts, King Kong Bundy, Bruiser Brody, Mr Wonderful Paul Orndorf, Great Kabuki........then Hulkamania kicked into overdrive and I lost interest cause it got 'weak'........my Dad used to love Antonio Rocca 

4 hours ago, Michigan Slim said:

me too - only thing i could imagine when i read the header of this thread , but then i always thought daisy duke might be a competitor as well , 

7 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

That didn't turn out all that well for the other fellas that tried it. Even Jethro got is ears pinned back.

................ Jethro would probably be the only one to complain .........  

3 hours ago, Cemetery said:

In the early 80s, I grew up with a mix of WWF and NWA programming.  I couldn't get enough of Tito Santana, Magnificent Muraco, Andre the Giant, Junkyard Dog, Ric Flair, Rowdy Roddy Piper, Superfly Snuka, Road Warriors, George the Animal Steele, Macho Man Randy Savage, Adrian Adonis, Carlos Colon, Wild Samoans, Jimmy 'Mouth of the South' Hart, Greg 'The Hammer' Valentine, Capt Lou Albano, Dusty Rhodes, The Von Erichs, Tommy Rich, Iron Sheik, Bob Backlund, Sgt Slaughter, Harley Race, Steamboat, Jake The Snake Roberts, King Kong Bundy, Bruiser Brody, Mr Wonderful Paul Orndorf, Great Kabuki........then Hulkamania kicked into overdrive and I lost interest cause it got 'weak'........my Dad used to love Antonio Rocca 

I remember almost all of those names, too.

The Rock & Roll Express just popped into mind as well.:lol:

Don't forget Rocky "Soulman" Johnson.....Dad to Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson. Who has somehow made it as an actor?

I remember the names Sailor Milan and Gorgeous George.  

George really knew that he was in show business and always put on a good shot.

Sailor Milan was a tough fighter.  It was always a hard fought match when he was in the ring. Or perhaps I should say "Well  Acted Match."

I don't remember any more names but that was a long time ago.

Duffield

the closest I ever got to watching pro wrestling was when Andre the Giant got whooped by the dread pirate Roberts and was recommended to  console himself with dreams of large women...

I recall most all of the names listed on this post. Even recall what most of them looked like. It's funny, when I think of "pro" wrestling, I always think of two wrestlers first....Dusty Rhodes and Ox Baker.

21 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Wife and I watched Hulk Hogan bring wrestling into the mainstream. Loved watching it till they started spending more time yacking than wrestling. Finally gave it up when Brother Love got all the air time. 

I stopped watching TV wrestling when Gorgeous George and The Amazing Bat were in their prime.

Back in the day, wrestling was a Saturday night prime time show, before we had a prime time. Dang I am old!

Anyway, most folks didn't have a TV set, so we would collect at the home of someone that did, and share food and watch wrestling. It was a fun time. 

19 hours ago, Noz said:

Anybody old enough to remember "Wild Red Berry"?  Those folks worked every weekend to sold out crowds in the Shrine Mosque in Springfield Missouri. We didn't have TV available so I listened to it on the radio until my Mom found out what I was doing.  She thought it was vulgar and unGodly.  

So, I'd listen to XERF out of Del Rio, Texas.  You had your choice, gospel or country.  A real toss-up.

I remember my great grandmother watching All Star Wrestling on Saturday nights screaming at the likes of Nick Bockwinkle, Vern Gagne, Mad Dog Vashon, Dr. X and Scrap Iron Kadaski, then being too horse to sing at the Four Square Church on Sunday mornings. :)

Archived