SASS Wire Forum

Vacationing in the Westcliff Colorado area

Sedalia Dave

Decades ago in my climbing days, Westcliff was a destination for climbing the nearby, 14,000+ ft Crestone Peaks.  There was a rough jeep road that went up part way up South Colony Creek then a trail that led to a lake between Crestone Needle and Humbolt Peak.  The Needle is a technical climb.  If they hike this is an option.

I was born and raised in Pueblo, an hour's drive from Westcliffe to the east (yes, that's the correct spelling, for when you enter it into a GPS), and  while in college worked for the US Forest Service one summer in the Sangre De Cristo mountains to the west.   Those are the mountains in the background in the movie "Cat Ballou".  If you still watch it.

There are a lot of beaver ponds with brook trout and rainbows in the Sangre De Cristos, pretty easy to catch if you are willing to hike into the remote spots.  One can also fish in the Arkansas river to the north, all the way up to Salida, and catch some pretty nice trout out of the headwaters.

Great Sand Dunes National Park on the southwestern slope of the Sangre De Cristos is amazing to see and visit and is an easy drive.

Probably these days I would just make a tour of the good Mexican restaurants in Canon City, Pueblo, Salida, and Alamosa, and admire the scenery!  It is high country, and us old farts should be careful about taking time to acclimate to the elevation.

Archived