SASS Wire Forum

Paternity test ?

Alpo

Can you do a paternity test on a fetus? You know, the girl calls you up and says, "Hey, remember that one night stand four months ago? I'm pregnant you're the father".

TV show. Good girl. Got drunk and slept with the guy. Since she's a good girl, and doesn't sleep with other people, she knows he's the father, so she tells him. He's rich. He makes out a 5 million dollar trust fund in the name of the unborn baby.

Now if I had five million dollars to throw around, I would make damn sure it was my kid before I went making out a trust fund. Can you check before the baby is born?

Or is this just another example of television making crap up?

ive never played a doctor on TV [last time was off screen in the late 50s i think] so ill be interested in hearing the truth on this as well , i suspect they can but without injury ? 

They can check paternity prenatal, just like they can check for any genetic characteristic. The procedure is called amniocentesis where amniotic fluid is drawn off via a needle, fetal cells are isolated, and genetic tests performed. Procedure has been around a long time. 

I’m not trying to start a debate on the ethics of such testing. That’s a rabbit hole we don’t need to go down in the Saloon. 

I got a close friend and fellow Cowboy shooter whose family knew his dad was an Earthling before he was born.   Don't know how they did it, but they

knew he was a human male.

:D

..........Widder

For all practical purposes, the courts would wait until the child is born and then order a DNA test.  I don't think child support kicks in until the child is actually born anyway.  The amniocentesis procedure involves a giant needle and is generally only used in higher risk pregnancies.  

Archived