SASS Wire Forum

Earbuds That Suppress Gunfire But Allow Conversation

Mountain Man Gramps

2 hours ago, Hillbilly Drifter said:

I have the Axils as well. Not near as good as the Ottos

This is just the answer I was looking for, a comparison between the Ottos and the Axils.  The wind noise at last weekend's Cajon Cowboys match was so loud I had to turn off my Walkers.  I don't like spending $340 for the Ottos (the current price if you have a Botach sign-in account), but I've already spent about $200 on the two Walkers I have that I purchased on sales from Midway several months ago.  Don't want to have to purchase again and my hearing is already slightly compromised.

5 hours ago, Mountain Man Gramps said:

This is just the answer I was looking for, a comparison between the Ottos and the Axils.  The wind noise at last weekend's Cajon Cowboys match was so loud I had to turn off my Walkers.  I don't like spending $340 for the Ottos (the current price if you have a Botach sign-in account), but I've already spent about $200 on the two Walkers I have that I purchased on sales from Midway several months ago.  Don't want to have to purchase again and my hearing is already slightly compromised.

If you do purchase the Ottos, please give an update after you use them.

I'm about six weeks out from ordering something.

On 3/3/2021 at 5:47 PM, Mountain Man Gramps said:

35 minutes ago, Mountain Man Gramps said:

I purchased the Ottos and used them at the Escondido Bandidos match yesterday.  What a difference!  I felt so much more a part of the match being able to hear conversations very easily.  And the transition between gunfire and conversation is instantaneous.  The foam ear plugs were a bit difficult to put in because I didn’t realize my ear canals are at different angles and I messed up the foam plugs. I tried the silicon plugs and as Otto states, they are not as effective.  So I tried a different manufacturer’s foam plugs. I could tell their fit was not as good as the Otto plugs before I busted them.  I ordered a 10 pack of Amazon and I’ll try them out next weekend.  I expect the performance will only be better, but I’ll post after next weekend.

The summary though is that they perform significantly better than the Walkers I have.  BUT you pay for that performance.  They were $340 at Botach.com.

• 1 month later...

This is long overdue, but here it is anyways.

I'm sold on my NoizeBarriers.  Their suppression is excellent and the wind noise is insignificant in any wind environments I've been in so far.  My only gripe is the cost of the replacement foam tips... $3.00 per foam tip!  I tried to find tips made by other companies but none of them will fit as they are spec'ed with a channel that has too large a diameter.  I'll just need to be extra careful when inserting the tips into my ears.  Their ability to give you a good sense of direction is also excellent.  You can easily tell the difference between in front of you or behind you, left or right.

The only debatable feature is the lack of Bluetooth.  But I rather like that.  I usually turn my phone off at the start of a match and turn it back on after the match.  I don't want my phone ringing in my ear in the middle of a stage.  And if I leave the phone on I have no problem hearing it ring.  You can also answer you phone and carry on a conversation without taking the NoizeBarriers out of you ear.  So the lack of Bluetooth is no problem for me.

All in all, I'm completely happy with the NoizeBarriers.

I also purchased the Otto NoizeBarrier Micro earplugs.  I've worn them around the house and at one match.  Still trying to get the ear tips figured out.  The included triple-flange are too small and don't seal well. 

I bought the 3M PELTOR Skull Screw Communication Tip Replacements.  These worked "ok" during the match but the left earplug would work it's way out and need to be re-seated periodically. Way more often than I think is necessary, especially since the right earplug didn't need to be repositioned at all.  It could have been that the foam was damaged.  It did not look as "full" as the other tips.  I will be replacing it trying them again at our next match.

I also bought the medium Comply Professional Noise Isolating Earphone Tips.  I have not tried these yet but may have to depending on how the next match goes.

All that said, I am very happy with the performance of the units themselves.

I was able to watch tv with the volume at a level that hasn't been used in a long time. (Wife was very happy about that.) At the match, I was able to hear all RO commands and not be bothered by the gunfire.  I had no problems with wind noise.  The batteries were fully charged the night before the match and the earplugs were only down to 60% after five hours of continuous use.

After following the thread, I purchased the OTTO's .  I think they are GREAT!  I did change to Comply foam ear tips, as someone else had recommended.  The "flange" tips with the OTTO's were a little irritating to me, but the sound suppression still was good.

I would highly recommend them.

I also had problems figuring out how to insert the NoizeBarriers until I inserted a Q-Tips in each ear and let them hang.  The left Q-Tip went straight out, but the right Q-Tip pointed up at a 45 degree angle.  I didn't realize one of my ear canals was crooked!  With that information I've been able to insert both of them.  Also I have two different size ear canals.  The right ear is a bit smaller diameter that the left so that side is a bit harder to get in.  But then I've had that problem with any ear plug I've used.

Don, which Comply ear tips are you using?

I bought the Comply professional noise isolating memory foam ear tips from amazon. 

• 2 weeks later...

I got the Comply foam tips and they work great.  They are longer than the standard phone foam tips and I think that makes a huge improvement in their performance.

Archived