SASS Wire Forum

Earbuds That Suppress Gunfire But Allow Conversation

Mountain Man Gramps

I'm looking for a good pair of earbuds that have active suppression of gunfire but allow conversation.  I currently have a pair of Walker earbuds but I'd like a greater level of gun fire suppression.  Walker claims 23 dB of suppression, but there is a noticeable difference between the Walker earbuds and my over-the-ear Walker hearing protectors.  The over-the-ear protector provides significantly better protection.  Also, the Walker earbuds don't go as far into my ear as my Bluetooth music earbuds and I think that may be part of the problem.

My two requirements are that they provide a good level of gun suppression and the ability to carry on conversations and hear the stage instructions.  Connecting to my phone is not as important - in fact it may be undesirable!  If you're satisfied with your earbuds, what are you using, and what have you tried that didn't work?  Train Wreck, if you see this, what are you using?  I seem to recall you liked yours better than the Walkers you tried.  Too many of the reviews on Amazon and Midway sound like the individuals don't know what to expect or how to use them.  I figure you all are an experienced pool of wisdom!

Thanks, I did a search on "ear buds" and "earbuds" and got no hits.  I checked out your link and it looks like it answers my question.  Consider my topic closed.

I am using Axil products.    Sometimes I like them , sometimes I don't     Many models available        GW

1 minute ago, G W Wade said:

I am using Axil products.    Sometimes I like them , sometimes I don't     Many models available        GW

G W, I have been looking at the Axils.  What don't you like about them?

Not real impressed with the tips that go in your ear.  They seem hard.   I have been trying different types of tips, like silicone and Surefire plugs,,   Basically so deaf not sure what I am hearing, BUT like hearing stage brief and the timer go off  LOL       GW

I use Otto NoizeBarrier Micro bud. They are pricey but the very best I have ever used. I bought mine from Botach which was 50.00 cheaper than anywhere else. I have hearing aids so I need earbuds that really give you good conversation hearing as well as protection. I shoot sporting clays weekly as well as long range rifle matches throughout the year. Not interfering with the comb of the gun is a big plus. 

23 minutes ago, Mountain Man Gramps said:

Thanks, I did a search on "ear buds" and "earbuds" and got no hits.  I checked out your link and it looks like it answers my question.  Consider my topic closed.

Gramps, the search function on the Wire here is fairly pathetic.  Google works much better.  Go to Google and type sassnet.com first and then whatever you are looking for.  I searched on: sassnet.com earplug abilene.   I put my alias in the search because I knew I had been involved in that discussion.

I use both in the ear aids and electronic ear muffs because a significant amount of "NOISE" is (transferred/transmitted) to the ear by the boney structure of your skull.  Feed back is the most common problem doing this but solve that by placing some foam over the aids mic. 

I use Walkers Razor 3.0 hearing protection, I found that with the walkers, I need to use the smallest buds to roll and fit right.  The mediums were too big.   I found that the batteries don’t last the match, but I can throw a small Li ion battery pack (like you use to give your phone a boost) in a pocket with a small cord and it keeps it juiced up.   

I have Walkers and have had no problems with them.  Over the ear are usually better at sound suppression than in the ear.  When I was working at the indoor range, I'd wear foam plugs and over the ear both.  

Walker's Silencer Electronic Ear Plugs (NRR 25dB) Pair, https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1018342050.   I have been using these for about two years now and if you leave one side off and the other on, alternating the power, they will last all day at a shoot.  They are on sale currently at the above link.

14 hours ago, Hillbilly Drifter said:

I use Otto NoizeBarrier Micro bud. They are pricey but the very best I have ever used. I bought mine from Botach which was 50.00 cheaper than anywhere else. I have hearing aids so I need earbuds that really give you good conversation hearing as well as protection. I shoot sporting clays weekly as well as long range rifle matches throughout the year. Not interfering with the comb of the gun is a big plus. 

32 minutes ago, Happy Jack, SASS #20451 said:

Absolutely NOTHING compares to the OTTO ones.  Used by the teams downrange when not using comm headsets.  I LOVE mine.

How are these for longevity.  I don't mind spending the money on a quality product (buy once, cry once) but that's a lot of money if they only last a year.

I was actually just researching these earlier today.

And just like pistols in competition, if they work I won't be able to buy a set for just myself.  I'll have to get the wife some as well.

7 minutes ago, Wicker Nash said:

Do you only use these at CAS events?  Wonder how they'd be around rifles with muzzle breaks?  How long have you had yours?  As mentioned above, for the price I would expect them to last a few years (4-5) at least.

1 minute ago, Chief Rick said:

How are these for longevity.  I don't mind spending the money on a quality product (buy once, cry once) but that's a lot of money if they only last a year.

I was actually just researching these earlier today.

And just like pistols in competition, if they work I won't be able to buy a set for just myself.  I'll have to get the wife some as well.

I have had them over a year so far. You charge the carry case and it charges the ear buds. I have gotten as many as 20 uses off of a charge. 

Wicker Nash, according to Etymotic's literature, your earbuds only provide 15 dB of gun shoot attenuation.  That's not much.  The Otto reviews make them sound like the best, but $400?

15 hours ago, twelve mile REB said:

I use both in the ear aids and electronic ear muffs because a significant amount of "NOISE" is (transferred/transmitted) to the ear by the boney structure of your skull.  Feed back is the most common problem doing this but solve that by placing some foam over the aids mic. 

I do the same and sometimes get feedback.  In the summer perspiration builds up under the muffs and sometimes shorts out the hearing aids.  I frequently remove the muffs to keep my ears dry to avoid this problem.  However, this is only a problem in hot weather.

Chief, some of the guys I know have been using them for 6+ years on a very regular basis (at least once a month) and they perform like new. As you can imagine some of the downrange use is pretty rough and no problems.  I waited 2 years before spending the money and don't regret it a bit. I rarely use the "high amplification mode". With it I can easily hear the raven wings as they fly over and the sound clamping works the same.

1 hour ago, Mountain Man Gramps said:

Wicker Nash, according to Etymotic's literature, your earbuds only provide 15 dB of gun shoot attenuation.  That's not much.  The Otto reviews make them sound like the best, but $400?

until you have tried them no way for you to know. I use mine 5-8 times a month for extended periods and they are absolutely worth the 350$ i paid through the retailer i mentioned earlier. (Otto Noizebarriers)

Thanks for the additional information.  I went back and reread their website.  I misread it.  Their high frequency (bad stuff) attenuation is exceptionally good.

I have had my Sport Ear ear buds since I bought them at the 2006 EOT. I had them cleaned in 2016. They have been awesome. I guess they are part of AXIL now. They do require lots of battery replacements. They are so comfortable that I often go to sleep with them still in my ears.

I shoot extreme warthog loads of Holy Black so the cute .32 and .38 and light smokeless  loads that gamers shoot should work well. :huh:

I also use them when I visit my kids. My daughters-in-law love them when conversing with their ancient, hopelessly deaf father-in-law.

I shoot .45 Colt and 10 gauge 3-1/2" about in about 30 matches each year and do a lot of practice on my own shooting range. They give my ear buds quite a workout.

1 hour ago, Mud Marine,SASS#54686 Life said:

I have had my Sport Ear ear buds since I bought them at the 2006 EOT. I had them cleaned in 2016. They have been awesome. I guess they are part of AXIL now. They do require lots of battery replacements. They are so comfortable that I often go to sleep with them still in my ears.

I shoot extreme warthog loads of Holy Black so the cute .32 and .38 and light smokeless  loads that gamers shoot should work well. :huh:

Been using for two years, only downside is new batteries each match.  Shoot heavy Black only.

There is a pair of Axial Ghost Strike hearing protection just listed on the Classifieds for $80.00 shipped. Don't know anything about the product but Mr. W is a great guy to deal with and a helleva shooter.

I second the Axil Ghoststryke Earbuds.  They work well and provide the ability to increase the conversation volume in steps to just what you need.  All this while suppressing the "bang."  They come with different size foam tips so you can find the size that works best for you.  The other thing to be careful of is to make sure the batteries last longer than the match.  The Axial Ghoststryke earbuds come with rechargeable batteries and have never run out of juice for me during a match - they last all day.  I just buy the GS Electronic version which is their lesser expensive model.  I don't need bluetooth which increases the cost by $60, and I really didn't need the top of the line, customized fit, version - the basic version has worked well for me for two years now.  By the way, they've great customer service as well.  I'd buy them again.  

Archived