SASS Wire Forum

New Uberti SAA 3 Click Lowered Hammers

Creeker, SASS #43022

Desert Scorpion has succumbed to the siren call of Gunfighter and has decided that a gun in each hand is the way to shoot...

She shot her first match as Gunfighter last weekend (with only two or three misses).  

And at the end of the match, handed me her guns - stated, "That was fun" and promptly informed me that she has small hands and needs lowered hammers.

The 1st challenge is between my awkward flailing style and extra large hands -  I have never used lowered hammers and have no idea who best to approach.

The 2nd challenge is her new pistols are the Uberti 3 click hammers with retractable firing pins and I really do not want to bugger these up.

Video of Desert Scorpions first Gunfighter match.

Desert Scorpion and Creeker Gunfighters Desert Desperados Feb 2021 - YouTube

She's the short pretty one - I'm the less pretty one. 

Contact Taylor's and see if they have lowered hammers for Uberti's.  Both sets of my Pietta's have them and I love them.  I assume Uberti also has a lower hammer available.  Taylor's carries both Uberti and Pietta pistols.  They would definitely know what's available.  They have and excellent parts department.  Also check with Lisa at VTI; between VTI, Taylor's, and Cimarron, you can usually find the parts you need.

Taylors & Company Firearms (taylorsfirearms.com)

https://www.vtigunparts.com

https://www.cimarron-firearms.com

Another option is to have a good cowboy gunsmith cut a "V" shaped notch on the lower backside of the hammer spur and bend the hammers down and re-weld them.  If you choose this route, you may want the "surgery" done on a new set of hammers so you can keep the originals.  Curly Bill Kelly of Harriman, TN did this with my pair of open-tops and they are wonderful. 

2 hours ago, Creeker, SASS #43022 said:

Desert Scorpion has succumbed to the siren call of Gunfighter and has decided that a gun in each hand is the way to shoot...

She shot her first match as Gunfighter last weekend (with only two or three misses).  

And at the end of the match, handed me her guns - stated, "That was fun" and promptly informed me that she has small hands and needs lowered hammers.

The 1st challenge is between my awkward flailing style and extra large hands -  I have never used lowered hammers and have no idea who best to approach.

The 2nd challenge is her new pistols are the Uberti 3 click hammers with retractable firing pins and I really do not want to bugger these up.

Video of Desert Scorpions first Gunfighter match.

Desert Scorpion and Creeker Gunfighters Desert Desperados Feb 2021 - YouTube

She's the short pretty one - I'm the less pretty one. 

Check with Boomstick Jay.

Randy

15 minutes ago, Randy Saint Eagle, SASS # 64903 said:

Check with Boomstick Jay.

Randy

+1.   I saw quite a few up in his shop...   Looked good.  He's taken up the challenge to make a shooter of one of my Paterson revolvers... If he can slick that up, he can do ANYTHING!  Colorado Coffinmaker is going to be jealous... shootin' Frontiersman gunfighter with a pair of snubbie Patersons!!!

14 minutes ago, Smokin Gator SASS #29736 said:

Has she had a chance to actually handle or shoot guns with the various hammer options? If there's more then one option that would be something to try first before making a change.

I agree; but the only thing I have with actual lowered hammers is an Older Model (large frame) Vaquero.

And her hands are so small that those don't really tell us anything.

I don't have any concerns going to the lowered hammers even if she decided to return to a supported category.  Her hands are small enough that I think she will like them.  

I just never really thought about her going to gunfighter so I didn't buy the lowered hammers when I bought her last set of pistols.  I should have.

I'm pretty sure you can buy the Runnin' Iron hammers, which are low/wide, and drop them right in. I bought a pair, but something was wrong with one, so I sent them back and later ended up with a pair of New Vaqueros. I dropped them into my Taylor's (Uberti) Smokewagon Deluxes.

I don't see Runnin' Iron parts listed on Taylor's website any more, but I'd call them to see. Either way, if you can find the new style Runnin' Iron hammers (with retractable firing pin), they should work.

Edit: Found em -- https://taylorsfirearms.com/catalog/product/view/id/3392/s/uberti-1873-cattleman-new-model-frame-parts/

Look for item A4129002. Call and check with Taylor's before you buy to make sure they'll fit.

Archived