SASS Wire Forum

44's Used At The Battle Of The Little Bighorn

Savvy Jack

Here is a bit of an update. The yardage is impressive, effective or not! unfortunately, this is only noted inside the park boundaries. I'd sure like to see them search outside the boundaries.

The Reno-Benteen Defense Line is also intriguing once you see the effects of the .44 cal. lever actions used to help pin down the troops.
It is noted with arrows that the Indians were attacking from 7 sides. Unsure how accurate that is, but... the 44-40 Winchester was used on at least three sides although they may have been few. Note the amount of .44 cal. bullets recovered from this area. All are noted as 220gr Henry bullets from Henry's, and 66's. I'd like to inspect all of them myself.
438 yard shots from the closer knob to the north while Sharpshooter Ridge is about 828 yards. 200 yards for the west shots and 200 yards for the NW shots from the ravine. I wonder just effective these shots were.

Reno_Benteen_44s.jpg

Howdy,

See the park if you get out that way.

I stopped for a few minutes and stayed the rest of the day.

Best

CR

and take the tour too....

remember rattlers like to sun themselves out there....

1 hour ago, Grass Range said:

Many volumes written on this battle. Just as many versions written and some by both sides. No one will ever know.

Just like my news, I prefer the written work that list as much fact and as little supposition/opinion as possible.

I'm not a historian, but it seems to me that the 220 grain bullet was used in the 44 Winchester Central Fire, which was chambered in the 1873 Winchester.

The 1866 Improved Henry, and the 1860 Henry rifle were both chambered in the 44 Henry Rimfire, which used a 200 grain bullet.

22 hours ago, Chief Rick said:

Just like my news, I prefer the written work that list as much fact and as little supposition/opinion as possible.

I visit the battlefield every year. In their bookstore there is always a new book on the subject. There is no new evidence or information but their are those who write as if they have such.

On 3/2/2021 at 11:31 AM, Alpo said:

I'm not a historian, but it seems to me that the 220 grain bullet was used in the 44 Winchester Central Fire, which was chambered in the 1873 Winchester.

The 1866 Improved Henry, and the 1860 Henry rifle were both chambered in the 44 Henry Rimfire, which used a 200 grain bullet.

I have no idea, I can't remember that far back...LOL

44Henryssectionedr2.jpg

I would say these two of the 225gr Henry bullet design, pulled from the Custer Battlefields during 2007 survey that link to 108 Henry/66' rifles. This is only two examples of some 250+ recovered during surveys from 1984 to 2013.

DSCN0642 (2).JPG

• 3 weeks later...

Archived