SASS Wire Forum

How can you keep eggs fresh?

Alpo

Normally I buy store brand eggs, figuring eggs is eggs.

This week Eggland eggs were on sale, so I got some. I noticed as I was putting them in the refrigerator that the carton said NOW STAYS FRESH LONGER.

Just wondering what you could do to an egg to make it stay fresh longer.

From: https://www.egglandsbest.com/news/can-tell-eggs-fresh

Eggland’s Best Eggs Stay Fresher Longer

There are two main reasons why Eggland’s Best eggs are proven to stay fresher than their competition. One is that Eggland’s Best eggs “are placed in refrigerated storage within 24 hours of being laid and are packed within seven days.” This stands in stark contrast to the general minimal practices of the industry, which allows for eggs to remain in storage for as many as 21 days before packing. 

The other reason for Eggland’s Best eggs’ longevity is the fact that the hen feed used by the company has superior amounts of minerals and vitamins, which leads to greater eggshell strength. This boosted shell strength allows the eggs to remain fresh for a longer amount of time. The fact that the hen feed does not contain animal fat or by-products is also helpful in this regard

I keep em in the frig for 2-3 weeks and they're fine! I also buy the cheapest eggs I can find, I can't tell a difference in taste.

19 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

I keep em in the frig for 2-3 weeks and they're fine! I also buy the cheapest eggs I can find, I can't tell a difference in taste.

I do likewise and my eggs keep for months. America’s Test Kitchen says eggs are good two to three months after the Best By date.  Eggs I bought last week had a best by date in April.

People might just be very surprised at how old store bought eggs are before they even reach the store.

We have chickens at home, so I don't think about about it too much.

The older the egg, the less firm the yolk and the more runny the white..

We have had chickens for 12-14 years now.  We do nothing to the eggs as far as washing, glass seal, refrigeration, etc.  Eggs can sit at room temperature for weeks (6+) and I am sure they can last months if refrigerated. 

We have a handful of hens that lay an egg with a green color shell.  The green eggs make exceptionally easy to peel boiled eggs.  We will set aside the green ones until we have two or three dozen to boil up at all once.  It will take several weeks to several months to get around to boiling those eggs and we have never had an issue with an egg getting old.

Eggs that have been in the fridge for 10 days get hard boiled for snacks and replaced with fresh ones.  I actually prefer thin shells; easier to crack without breaking the yolk.  Of course my arthritis may be a factor in that maneuver.

56 minutes ago, July Smith said:

We have a handful of hens that lay an egg with a green color shell.  The green eggs make exceptionally easy to peel boiled eggs.  We will set aside the green ones until we have two or three dozen to boil up at all once.  It will take several weeks to several months to get around to boiling those eggs and we have never had an issue with an egg getting old.

All you need now is some ham and a new name.

11 minutes ago, Chuck Steak said:

we used to mix ice in with the chicken feed to keep the eggs fresher longer

That seems to be a lot of extra work.  I just asked my chickens not to lay them until we needed them.  I just have to remember to post how many we want the night before.

I never have any around long enough to spoil.  I eat about a dozen a week, sometimes more, and under those conditions they last long enough.

One of the very few things I miss about California is the chicken and egg farm a mile south of our house.  Their prices were about half what the stores were getting and they seldom had any eggs over a day old.  I've gone in mid-afternoon and found them all gone.

18 minutes ago, Matthew Duncan said:

That seems to be a lot of extra work.  I just asked my chickens not to lay them until we needed them.  I just have to remember to post how many we want the night before.

We had two eggs freeze and crack during the insanely cold weather a few weeks ago.  That was a first.  I'll need to make a few mods tot he hen house when I get home.  Not that the cold weather had anything to do with it, but we are down to 6 or 7 hens.

Will be buying more hens and turkeys shortly to replace what we lost due to the hurricanes this past year.

Eggs are only "fresh" the day you get 'em out of the Chicken.  After that, they are "old" eggs.  Or would you consider them "new" eggs as opposed to "old" eggs.  Then again, there are Easter Eggs.  We could have "fresh" Easter Eggs, and "last" Easter eggs.  Of course, one shouldn't put all of one's eggs in the same basket.  Yee Gads, then there's Humpty Dumpty and . . . . . . .

2 hours ago, July Smith said:

We do nothing to the eggs as far as washing, glass seal, refrigeration, etc.  Eggs can sit at room temperature for weeks (6+) and I am sure they can last months if refrigerated. 

Eggs have a coating that gets washed off for store bought eggs.  The natural coating will keep eggs "fresh" much longer (even unrefrigerated) than washed eggs.  Washing the eggs makes them much more desirable to consumers (you don't have feathers stuck to your eggs) and may reduce some types of food-born illnesses.  In America, eggs are almost always kept in the refrigerator so the loss of the natural coating isn't seen as a detriment. A synthetic coating may give some benefit after the washing process, but probably not enough to matter for 98% of the eggs that get consumed in America.

Cook them up right away, with a pound or two of Bacon ....

That way they don't age at all .... Invite the needed number of starving Cowpokes over to help eat them ...

Lot's of Fresh hot coffee , fresh Baked Bread and butter ...

Jabez Cowboy

The Mrs. is a farm girl so she has layers at our house.  Her chickens but I get to clean the coop.  Funny how that works.  We get about a dozen a day average. If you don't wash them, they have a natural coating that helps preserve them as El CupAjoe said but many food borne illnesses get attached to the shell so we wash them.  There is an egg processor in town where I work.  Owned by decent folks and a SIL worked there for years as a Candle-er, sorting out the good eggs from the bad eggs.  It is not uncommon for eggs to sit for up to a month before they are processed, inspected, packed and shipped to stores where they can sit a while and then again in your refrigerator.  We give away most of the eggs we collect.  The chickens are kept just for her enjoyment and during the non-snow months they do eat a lot of bugs.  She want to get guinea hens as they will eat ticks and are a good guard animal.  Make a lot of noise if something different enters the yard.

I'm told by some that they can taste the difference between our fresh eggs and store bought eggs.  Me?  Not so much.  I just eat them anyway I can get them.

5 hours ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

Eggs are only "fresh" the day you get 'em out of the Chicken.  After that, they are "old" eggs.  Or would you consider them "new" eggs as opposed to "old" eggs.  Then again, there are Easter Eggs.  We could have "fresh" Easter Eggs, and "last" Easter eggs.  Of course, one shouldn't put all of one's eggs in the same basket.  Yee Gads, then there's Humpty Dumpty and . . . . . . .

Humpy Dumpty was pushed!

54 minutes ago, Painted Mohawk SASS 77785 said:

Yep eggs can last a while  BUT' when ya' does crack a bad one..Phewee, talk about pong  !!!

Never kept them long enough to get a bad one!

The mans name is lost to history at least my sources of history.  In August of 1897 a gentleman boarded a steamer bound for the Klondike in his possession were 1000 eggs.  After landing at Skagway he proceeded to haul his outfit and his eggs over White Pass that took 3 months.  He and his eggs wintered at Bennett Lake until ice out in May of 1898 then started down river to the Yukon.  After 3 months navigating the hazards of the Yukon River he arrived in Dawson.  Sold his eggs for about $2.50 each.  They were described as tasting alright but a little tough.  That was very close to a year but sold them as fast as he could take the money.     It was not recorded how many of the 1000 reached Dawson.      

12 hours ago, Finagler 6853 Life said:

I'm told by some that they can taste the difference between our fresh eggs and store bought eggs.  Me?  Not so much.  I just eat them anyway I can get them.

I can't tell the difference in taste, either.

But, I can tell the difference in color/texture of the yolks/whites.

I buy them at the store but they're from Hillandale Farms right here in Ohio. I've seen them as low as .89 dozen and as high as $1.19. 

Eggland's Best are twice that and I taste no difference, it's just marketing and they have to pay for them expensive TV commercials!:o

Like I said, I normally buy store brand. But they were running a sale. Eggland extra large dozen and a half. Normally $5, on sale for $3.50. $3.50  for 18 came out to about $2.40 a dozen, and that's about the going price for the store brand right now, so I thought what the heck.

Before I went out of the store I checked my receipt. I always check my receipt before I leave. Often there's a mistake and it is not worth a buck and a half to drive back to the store. but it's always worth a buck and a half to walk over to customer service.

They rang up at full price. I go over to customer service and I show him on the store app on my phone that they are on sale, and I show him on the receipt that they charged full price.

He got out his phone and checked it, then he refunded me $5. I told him he gave me back too much. That I had been overcharged a buck and a half.

He told me no, that I had been overcharged. That meant it was free.

Made me wish I had got two or three of those 18-packs.

Archived