SASS Wire Forum

.45 Colt OAL for Pedersoli Lightning

Go West

Is there an optimum length and/or bullet shape that feeds best in a .45 Pedersoli Lightning? I ran 20 rounds perfectly in one and with other ammo, it was disaster. I need to check the specs on both, but thought to ask what your experience is.

Bullet tip shape is important.  Once you find one that works stick with it.  OAL should be between 1.550 and 1.590.  And, again, that depends on bullet shape.  Generally you are looking for a blunt RNFP.

http://www.navyarms.com/files/lightning.pdf

18 minutes ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

RNFP

aka:  RFN, or in the vernacular, "round nose flat point", or "round flat nose".  a nicely curved ogive with a median size meplat allows the bullet to make the transition from angled upward to the horizontal and fully enter the combustion chamber.  Think of it like a semi-auto, or one of the similar leverguns, the Win. 1892, Mar. 1894 or Win. mdl 94  Rounded ogive bullets always feed better in them also.

Plus 1 for Larsen and Griff ...

Not a Pedersoli but all Lightnings feed better at 1.5 to 1.55 including my Tarus

And the key to chambering and extracting is rack the rifle hard, don’t baby it

9 hours ago, John Boy said:

Plus 1 for Larsen and Griff ...

Not a Pedersoli but all Lightnings feed better at 1.5 to 1.55 including my Tarus

And the key to chambering and extracting is rack the rifle hard, don’t baby it

Same for AWA's and Colt's.   Run 'em hard and they will be your friend.   Baby them and they will cry.

Archived