SASS Wire Forum

Always carry a knife......

Raylan

I’ve a very basic victorinox (just 6 tools) that I always carry.  Here my social occasion carry is a benchmade balisong.  In CA a kershaw tanto.

Carried a Kershaw Boa for 15 years of so. Now looking at Cold Steel Code 4, Ontario Rat 1 in D2, and a Civivi Praxis in D2. Cold Steel has premium steel and a very solid lockup, but question it's deployment one handed, Ontario Rat 1 a long proven design but again has thumb studs for deployment and I prefer the flipper stud on the back of the blade, and the Civivi Praxis has the flipper stud but it's made in China, (the other two are American companies that are made in Taiwan). The Praxis and Rat 1 are inexpensive 30 to 40 dollars, while the Code 4 is around the cost of the Kershaw Boa - about 70 to 80 dollars. Given the cost of ammo now-a-days might just get them all as it would be like buying three boxes of generic FMJ 9mm. There must be a million different knife styles from hundreds and hundreds of knife makers, but I can't seem to find one that has the function, form, materials, and looks that I like. Suppose I could just keep carrying the Boa, but after 15 years of service I think it's earned a semi-retirement. 

24 minutes ago, Raylan said:

Carried a Kershaw Boa for 15 years of so. Now looking at Cold Steel Code 4, Ontario Rat 1 in D2, and a Civivi Praxis in D2. Cold Steel has premium steel and a very solid lockup, but question it's deployment one handed, Ontario Rat 1 a long proven design but again has thumb studs for deployment and I prefer the flipper stud on the back of the blade, and the Civivi Praxis has the flipper stud but it's made in China, (the other two are American companies that are made in Taiwan). The Praxis and Rat 1 are inexpensive 30 to 40 dollars, while the Code 4 is around the cost of the Kershaw Boa - about 70 to 80 dollars. Given the cost of ammo now-a-days might just get them all as it would be like buying three boxes of generic FMJ 9mm. There must be a million different knife styles from hundreds and hundreds of knife makers, but I can't seem to find one that has the function, form, materials, and looks that I like. Suppose I could just keep carrying the Boa, but after 15 years of service I think it's earned a semi-retirement. 

Kershaw 18700BLK is one of my other knives - thumb stud and flipper stud.

This will be going back in my pocket when I come home.

Lightweight.

1870OLBLK__77384.1612104034.jpg?c=2

Kershaw Olive & Black Knockout Plain Edge Knife

Well, I am going to add my two cents.  Often carry a hobo knife (along with other knives) because been to restaurant when they forgot the silver wear or two spoons & no fork.   Blamed that on the dishwasher.  Was a Boy Scout long time ago.  Remember, always be prepared.  Easy to make a two pronged fork with a knife when camping, not as easy without the knife.  Most of my knives can shave hair.  Yea, don't like those plastic things.  Broke far too many plastic forks, trying to be polite.  Now I am older and somewhat more wiser.

Archived