SASS Wire Forum

Always carry a knife......

Raylan

Or someone  that  needs  to  be  stabbed .  Either  way  you  are  ready . 

CS  

Hope I never need a knife like that to enjoy cake!       GW

Or steak!!!

Shanley ALWAYS carries at least one.

Has since I've known him (age 12)

His mother got angry at a banquet once, because he put his knife on his belt.

Gee...there were about 300 ppl...trying to eat steak with butter knifes!

Only 3 knives in the whole place! (Probably all Marines!)

His mom just stuck her tounge at him when he saud "SEE?"

47 minutes ago, Singin' Sue 71615 said:

His mother got angry at a banquet once, because he put his knife on his belt

Daddy was a Mason. First and third Thursday's were meeting nights. Second and fourth Thursdays were practices or rehearsals or something like that.

But three times a year there would be a fifth Thursday. Fifth Thursdays were "family night" - a covered dish dinner. And the lodge supply Chinet paper plates and plastic silverware.

I'm sitting there one night trying to cut a slice of roast beef with that plastic knife, then I put it down and reached in my pocket and pulled out my boy scout whittlin' knife

CAMW3H-300x225.jpg

and cut my meat.

The lady on the other side of the table smiled, and then she asked me if I cleaned my toenails with that knife. I told her yes I did, then pulled out my other scout knife

356836686_1400-dollarknife.thumb.jpg.5d8fc5ede575ed005d4042a920e2fa52.jpg

I told her I did not use that one for cleaning my nails, opened the big blade, and laid it on the table in front of her. She thanked me, and she and her husband passed it back and forth, cutting their roast beef.

9 minutes ago, Alpo said:

Daddy was a Mason. First and third Thursday's were meeting nights. Second and fourth Thursdays were practices or rehearsals or something like that.

But three times a year there would be a fifth Thursday. Fifth Thursdays were "family night" - a covered dish dinner. And the lodge supply Chinet paper plates and plastic silverware.

I'm sitting there one night trying to cut a slice of roast beef with that plastic knife, then I put it down and reached in my pocket and pulled out my boy scout whittlin' knife

CAMW3H-300x225.jpg

and cut my meat.

The lady on the other side of the table smiled, and then she asked me if I cleaned my toenails with that knife. I told her yes I did, then pulled out my other scout knife

356836686_1400-dollarknife.thumb.jpg.5d8fc5ede575ed005d4042a920e2fa52.jpg

I told her I did not use that one for cleaning my nails, opened the big blade, and laid it on the table in front of her. She thanked me, and she and her husband passed it back and forth, cutting their roast beef.

We were IOOF.

Same kind of situation!:wub:

I generally carry a 2" Kershaw Silver Spur, a 3 blade Diamond Edge 2 1/2" blade and two smaller ones, and a 3" AKC side lock switchblade.

I sometimes carry a 4" Italian stiletto switchblade for contentious social encounters, and for out doors stuff I have  Longline Charlie Glackman 7" "bowie"derivative that Charlie gave me just before he passed away.  It came with a really sad sheath that he told me had on hand, but that I should get a better one for it.  My grandson sketched out a design at the kitchen able and I had a local leather craftsman make it.  It's my very favorite field belt knife.

I have lots of knives for various reasons, but seldom carry most of them at all.

I always have a knife on me or very near me. Usually two. 

I would never use my knives for cake. Steak? Yep! Cake? Nope! If a sharp knife is needed for cake I would soften it up with coffee.  ;)

These in the pic are the knives that are within 6 feet of me. I have others around the house too.

Have carried a knife since about the 2nd grade only long time that I didn't have one was 8 weeks in boot camp. I brought one little pen knife but they made me send it home.

IMG_0849.JPG

Over here, we're restricted to blades less than two inches in length.  When I come home I have other options.  The only time I'm without a knife is when forced to be.

The "money clip" is a USA made Kershaw Chive 1600. 

The black one is a chinese made Kershaw Spoke 1313BLK.  If I'd known it was chinese I wouldn't have bought it.  That said, it doesn't bother me if anything happens to it.

I use them both to cut food, open mail or anything else that may require a sharp blade.

image.thumb.png.fda032754d27989848292cd4a54d5d9b.png

I have a Kershaw in my pocket everyday. I also have another bigger one in my glove compartment.

4 hours ago, Chief Rick said:

Over here, we're restricted to blades less than two inches in length.  When I come home I have other options.  The only time I'm without a knife is when forced to be.

The "money clip" is a USA made Kershaw Chive 1600. 

The black one is a chinese made Kershaw Spoke 1313BLK.  If I'd known it was chinese I wouldn't have bought it.  That said, it doesn't bother me if anything happens to it.

I use them both to cut food, open mail or anything else that may require a sharp blade.

image.thumb.png.fda032754d27989848292cd4a54d5d9b.png

Where is “over here”?

When I went to Germany I carried a small Swiss Army knife and a Benchmade Mini Griptilian and my Victorinox Spirit multi-tool. Their knife laws were pretty lenient. 

I carry a benchmade clipped to my front pocket.   A lady at a church I pastored was offended by my knife so she bought me a mini Swiss knife without a Clip so I could carry it in my pocket.   I sometimes forgot and carried the benchmade anyway,  other times I put the benchmade in my pocket until church was over.

12 hours ago, Tom Bullweed said:

I carry a smaller knife for apples, pulling splinters and other clean tasks.  I carry a 3.5-5" knife for social purposes.

Same here.

A small knife in the strong side front pocket for working and a 4-5" clipped to the top of the off side front pocket for 'socializing'.  Right now, I swap off between a CRKT M21-04 and a SOG Pentagon II.  Both are one hand open and closing once you get the motions down pat.

This is pretty much my everyday pocket carry. 

C364AF3F-5F97-4043-AB34-4E83D77BBAF6.thumb.jpeg.d1aaf0390f3e85acfbdd21a06d09660a.jpeg

Since I am sporting a sling and wearing sweat pants every day this is my EDC. The mini Griptilian slips into my sling and is unobtrusive. 

96C1CA00-23C2-420A-94C6-ADCB59DF33C2.thumb.jpeg.0a4866340d04a76f13e8308f5334750f.jpeg

2 hours ago, Trigger Mike said:

I carry a benchmade clipped to my front pocket.   A lady at a church I pastored was offended by my knife so she bought me a mini Swiss knife without a Clip so I could carry it in my pocket.   I sometimes forgot and carried the benchmade anyway,  other times I put the benchmade in my pocket until church was over.

Did she tithe well?  Might need a sermon on Luke 22:36 :D...  There was a time in this country, perhaps quickly approaching again or already here depending on your circumstances, when a man of the cloth was well advised to pack a pair of pistols to the pulpit so the work of God might not be long interrupted.  

20210204_143614.thumb.jpg.90088d8a2307dbc7be4cc1e5680b62f1.jpg

Here's the sharp tool combo that I carry on my person most days, not shown is the serrated blade on the Leatherman Rebar.

14 hours ago, G W Wade said:

Hope I never need a knife like that to enjoy cake!       GW

We often get an icecream cake from Dairy Queen for birthday celebrations and I usually have to bring my short sword for slicing those...

I always (except in prohibited areas like airports, some hospitals, etc.) a Victorinox Swiss Army knife with almost every conceivable blade, screw drivers, etc.  If I were ever attacked by somebody with a wooden leg, I could saw it off with the crosscut saw! :P:rolleyes:  If the leg was metal, I could cut it in half with the combination mini-hacksaw/file.  And, of course, there is the tweezers for removing splinters, etc.  Great tool!

Stay well and safe, Pards!

4 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

When I went to Germany I carried a small Swiss Army knife and a Benchmade Mini Griptilian and my Victorinox Spirit multi-tool. Their knife laws were pretty lenient. 

That must be a while ago, the Mini Griptilian (a great useful folder, I also own one) would be illegal now in Germany: folders may be oprated one handed or lockable but not both. I always have to remind myself when I cross the border... 

I carry every day two (2) small knives and a pair of pocket scissors.

The knife on the left is sharp but used for rough work, like cutting boxes.

The knife on the right is very sharp and used for fine work.

The pocket scissors in the middle I use ten times more often than the knives. 

I recommend to all; get a pair of these very utilitarian scissors.  You'll be surprised how often you use them.

yjrnoA.jpg

jYmNWU.jpg

1 hour ago, Equanimous Phil said:

That must be a while ago, the Mini Griptilian (a great useful folder, I also own one) would be illegal now in Germany: folders may be oprated one handed or lockable but not both. I always have to remind myself when I cross the border... 

That was 2010 and 2012. 

1 hour ago, Birdgun Quail, SASS #63663 said:

I recommend to all; get a pair of these very utilitarian scissors.  You'll be surprised how often you use them.

The scissors in my 2 Victorinox knives get used as much as the blades do. Very handy.

13 minutes ago, Birdgun Quail, SASS #63663 said:

And for cutting cake; I've never found a cake I can't cut with this blade.  ;):P

GsVQOu.jpg

ul2pmF.jpg

I think you'll be hard pressed to find someone who says you're cutting it wrong...

1 hour ago, Birdgun Quail, SASS #63663 said:

I carry every day two (2) small knives and a pair of pocket scissors.

The knife on the left is sharp but used for rough work, like cutting boxes.

The knife on the right is very sharp and used for fine work.

The pocket scissors in the middle I use ten times more often than the knives. 

yjrnoA.jpg

jYmNWU.jpg

I'm looking to add a Victorinox manager for the scissors, the fact that the multipurpose tool will work with my Leatherman Bit adapter and the "normal" pen.  My wife doesn't like it when I hand her my custom nib Noodler's Konrad when she asks for a pen...  I don't carry any other.

I lived in bush Alaska for  25 years.  Traveled a lot between villages in light aircraft.  I learned that in an emergency situation, all you're  likely to have is what is in your pockets.  You sure as heck better have a knife, among other items.

Archived